Society & Lifestyles

We need a public health film.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 11:08:04
In the past few weeks, as the virus threat seemed to lessen, we have seen a return too knife murders. I live in London and the past few years has seen a very high incidences of murders by stabbing with a knife. One of the official reasons given for this is the 'county lines system' ( adopted from the usa ). This is a practice whereby urban drug dealers force children and other vulnerable people to take drugs to customers in more rural areas. Given that, for some weird reason, the authorities aren't allowed to hunt drug dealers down and shoot them dead, i've thought of something that might help. I've been around for quite a number of years now and i distinctly remember short Public health films being regularly played on tv during advert breaks. I can still remember how terrified i was when watching a film about the effects of not brushing your teeth. And i doubt anyone will forget the A.I.D.S film/s. More general films have covered drinking and smoking, the latter of which went a long way towards turning people off of the habit. I think we need a regular hard hitting public health film that should be shown to young people about drugs. Including as many nasty pieces of information, graphic scenes of blood covered pavements, knife victims being treated in hospital and dying on the operating table etc, grieving parents, scarred drug dealers and skeletal, brain addled low drug addicts. Illegal drugs are destroying the fabric of our society and we must attack the glamourous, fun image that is so prevalent.
Darkman666 On about 16 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 11:58:07
i don't know if america schools do anymore public service films. schools still sex education have better films describing sex. back in 50's through 70's, when i was in school, films were so lame. you get sex information watching " wild kingdom " on saturday nights.

scientists said believe that people's attention span last less 2 or 5 minutes. america do their public service on tv, in commercials, that probably do better than a public film.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 12:01:13
@offbeat Said

In the past few weeks, as the virus threat seemed to lessen, we have seen a return too knife murders. I live in London and the past few years has seen a very high incidences of murders by stabbing with a knife. One of the official reasons given for this is the 'county lines system' ( adopted from the usa ). This is a practice whereby urban drug dealers force children and other vulnerable people to take drugs to customers in more rural areas. Given that, for some weird reason, the authorities aren't allowed to hunt drug dealers down and shoot them dead, i've thought of something that might help. I've been around for quite a number of years now and i distinctly remember short Public health films being regularly played on tv during advert breaks. I can still remember how terrified i was when watching a film about the effects of not brushing your teeth. And i doubt anyone will forget the A.I.D.S film/s. More general films have covered drinking and smoking, the latter of which went a long way towards turning people off of the habit. I think we need a regular hard hitting public health film that should be shown to young people about drugs. Including as many nasty pieces of information, graphic scenes of blood covered pavements, knife victims being treated in hospital and dying on the operating table etc, grieving parents, scarred drug dealers and skeletal, brain addled low drug addicts. Illegal drugs are destroying the fabric of our society and we must attack the glamourous, fun image that is so prevalent.

I bet if you guys opened up gun ownership, there would be fewer knife stabbings. We have very few knifings here in the states.

We also have PSA (Public Service Announcements) on smoking, drugs, and now Wearing Masks.

london, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 13:37:44
@mrmhead Said

I bet if you guys opened up gun ownership, there would be fewer knife stabbings. We have very few knifings here in the states.

We also have PSA (Public Service Announcements) on smoking, drugs, and now Wearing Masks.

I agree there might be less stabbings but it would see shootings rise. It's easier to shoot someone than stab.

london, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 13:45:04
@darkman666 Said

i don't know if america schools do anymore public service films. schools still sex education have better films describing sex. back in 50's through 70's, when i was in school, films were so lame. you get sex information watching " wild kingdom " on saturday nights.

scientists said believe that people's attention span last less 2 or 5 minutes. america do their public service on tv, in commercials, that probably do better than a public film.

Yes i meant an advert length film. Sorry, i didn't explain myself well. I think drugs need to be made 'uncool' by pumping negative images and messages to the younger generation in particular. The authorities must believe that such methods work because there have recently been programs that attempt to make white kids feel guilty about a supposed lack of privilage for non white kids ... And also the introduction of courses covering gender and trans. If they beleive they will work then why not an anti drug and gang indoctrination too?

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 14:23:42
@offbeat Said

Yes i meant an advert length film. Sorry, i didn't explain myself well. I think drugs need to be made 'uncool' by pumping negative images and messages to the younger generation in particular. The authorities must believe that such methods work because there have recently been programs that attempt to make white kids feel guilty about a supposed lack of privilage for non white kids ... And also the introduction of courses covering gender and trans. If they beleive they will work then why not an anti drug and gang indoctrination too?

in grade school, when they force more destruction of drugs discussions. having police officer come to their school classes really tell how drugs and what to do with drug dealers. maybe high school, kids should visit city morgue to get the message first hand.

london, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 17:28:27
@dookie Said

If you keep your ears to the ground, especially on local news broadcasts, there are quite a few groups of people "doing the rounds" so to speak. Often the groups were formed by those personally touched by a particular issue. A case in point is Patrick Hutchinson, the guy who rescued a counter protestor at a BLM rally when he got into difficulties. Now given a voice and an opportunity, he, along with three others, is forming a group to combat all forms of racism.

Obviously, a lot depends upon Headmasters and local Council Officials becoming pro-active and inviting the groups in.

That issue is being addressed. I'm talking about diverting 'd*** head' kids from carrying knives and killing each other over drug territories. The apologists for such behaviour keep banging on about them being deprived because they don't have any youth clubs. I never went to youth clubs as a kid and i never once felt i had to join a gang or stab someone with a knife. Why? Because i had a sense of right and wrong! These kids desperately need reminding of that.

london, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 17:35:03
@darkman666 Said

years ago," scared straight! " this brilliant documentary came out. i saw this, it was right on the money teaching what happen after go above the law. not police side's eye view like does tv and movies. but the convicts eye view in prison, tell teenagers that enter the prison, how really is from the beginning and at the end, what they is doing really stupid in the long run.

Scared Straight! is a 1978 American documentary directed by Arnold Shapiro. Narrated by Peter Falk, the subject of the documentary is a group of juvenile delinquents and their three-hour session with actual convicts. Filmed at Rahway State Prison, a group of inmates known as the "lifers" berate, scream at, and terrify the young offenders in an attempt to "scare them straight" (hence the film's title), so that those teenagers will avoid prison life.

scared straight

I've actually seen some of those. Not all the kids were changed by it but a good many of them did change. I must say that i was quite impressed by the effort and passion of those convicts. It's sad to think that they too might have had decent lives if they had been shocked as children.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 18:00:07
@offbeat Said

That issue is being addressed. I'm talking about diverting 'd*** head' kids from carrying knives and killing each other over drug territories. The apologists for such behaviour keep banging on about them being deprived because they don't have any youth clubs. I never went to youth clubs as a kid and i never once felt i had to join a gang or stab someone with a knife. Why? Because i had a sense of right and wrong! These kids desperately need reminding of that.

The BLM was an example, other examples - including knife crime - are certainly in existence, formed by people who have been directly affected.

Obviously the "answer" involves a whole spectrum of things - from our entire education system to parental responsibility for their own children.

Irrespective of your own experience, please look up the cuts to Youth Club funding over the past decade. In Wales alone, 163 Youth Clubs have closed just in the past three years. Such neglect of basic facilities will have an adverse effect.

london, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 18:21:31
@dookie Said

The BLM was an example, other examples - including knife crime - are certainly in existence, formed by people who have been directly affected.

Obviously the "answer" involves a whole spectrum of things - from our entire education system to parental responsibility for their own children.

Irrespective of your own experience, please look up the cuts to Youth Club funding over the past decade. In Wales alone, 163 Youth Clubs have closed just in the past three years. Such neglect of basic facilities will have an adverse effect.

I have to disagree. Not having a youth club does not make a person want to sell drugs and/or stab people. They need a strong sense of personal and public responsibility instilled in them. Playing pool in a club doesn't achieve that. We can start with making absent fathers more accountable, make it quite clear to children , on a regular basis, what they can and can't do, and bring back strictness and discipline to children. ( not physically punishment though. )
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 18:27:54
@offbeat Said

I have to disagree.

That's OK.

My opinion is as said......"Obviously the "answer" involves a whole spectrum of things - from our entire education system to parental responsibility for their own children. "

That "spectrum" involves Youth Clubs.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#15New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 18:33:04
in america, we have organizations that deal with both girls and boys almost 20 years olds. parents to teach their kids, rights and wrongs. bad influence in their environments. that turns to good to bad. only few kids really made out to become good citizens. but in poor areas, more poor kids go straight than bad ones. but wealth areas, kids like thrill of it, and act out against their parents.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs