Wasp that in my tree?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 01:05:43

Just noticed this this evening.
I haven't been bothered by them. The nest is about 30-40ft in the air. It's my neighbors tree, but hanging over my yard.

No small kids playing in the yard to worry about.

I've read that wasps, yellow jackets and such eat other bugs, so in a sense, beneficial, as long as they aren't stinging your ass.

And after a bit of Googling, I think it is a Bald-Faced Hornet nest. They looked black-and-white through binocs.

So I think I won't bother them, as long as they don't bother me
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#2New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 01:48:59
If they're high in a tree, they're no real problem. It's more when the nest is more on the ground level or in your house that you have to worry.

Wasps can be interesting to watch sometimes, but bees are better.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 03:13:24
when I was living in my old house. I had a nice size wasp where I are front door outside and by our outdoor windows.

we had a wasp's nest in our front yard's tree. I seem a lot of wasp's nests in my younger years of my life.

I know that raid spray can kill wasps.

yes, I remember several times with my family and at my boys camp that wasps don't like you knock down their wasp's nest with a broom , or throw in sticks, tennis shoes, or using your mother's bras as slingshots shoot down the nest. ( twilite, once again, tiger, I will have a long talk with him after this post about his behavior. twilte, our mother's bra was that big enough to be the size of texas. maybe close to the size of California. twilite, quit that now!! ) I was just joking about my mother's bra, once I got a black eye from my mother's bra. she turn to left, when I stand near her. when I woke up, I had a black eye.

I never got stunk from a wasp or wasps, of course, I ran hell away from them, not knocking down the wasp's nest from a tree. you can run into a lake or a swimming pool, the wasps won't drive the water. but they fly around the surface of the water, until you emerge from your head. I almost been in hot water like that, only when my mother was looking for me, when she was mad at me.

you know is not true, that you are under a wasp's nest in a tree. you don't see Winnie the pooh, I never see this Winnie the poooh winehead. have you see this turkey around? this bear is homeless winehead carrying a bottle of ripple. or a homeless a bum bear take drugs that winnie's pusher was from that the punk, Christopher robin.

wasps won't brother you, unless you are late paid your gambling debts at thumper's bunnies. talking about multiplying . I went once, it took me a week see to again.

it interesting to watch wasps on the flowers, and pollenating on the flowers, but you wash hands first.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 09:50:08
I hate wasps !!
Living out here in the mountains all my life , I figure I'm as much a part of the 'local' wildlife as any out here. And have 'adopted ' the practice (if that's the right wording ) of 'I stay out of their territories and expect the same in return .'
If I find a sattle rake in my yard get my .357 and kill it, if I were to go out and threaten/bother/disrupt that same snake in its den, it and all it's den mates would do their best to kill me.
Wasps, ants , spiders etc. Raid and Black Flag . I trade off because the buggers get immune to it if it's used on the nest/hive when there are eggs or larvae .
Now I will admit that the day I stepped out of my door and seen a mountain loin drinking from my dirt tank , I just softly called my mutts in and shut the door . no tough guy act that day .
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 10:19:20
We had a hornets nest above the smoking area at work, I found it interesting to watch. Someone reported it though so it was fumigated and removed.
Kinshi86 On January 31, 2018

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
#6New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 19:22:41
Living in a trailer park in my teens, we had these kind of canopy things above our windows that were made out of aluminum.

Usually, we would find wasps nest underneath those and I'm talking about like 12 or 13 windows around the trailer with these canopy things.

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 19:36:21
I've had my share of other wasp/hornet/yellow jacket experiences.

I found a (yellow jacket?) nest among some tiger lilies while I was weeding... Or I should say they found me and got quite a few stings/bites from that one. I also learned that I am Not allergic to them, thankfully.

My dog found a ground nest a few years back - she wasn't too happy about it - swollen snout, a little benadryl.

Found a nest starting on the inside of my shed door - video taped some and used it in a "music video" (you can find on yt if you care to search - Sunday's Sequence)

But this is the first that I'll leave alone ... as long as they leave me alone

#8New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 19:38:45
I've seen mud wasps nest before in my yard too. They really suck lol

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 19:38:45
@Kinshi86 Said

Living in a trailer park in my teens, we had these kind of canopy things above our windows that were made out of aluminum.

Usually, we would find wasps nest underneath those and I'm talking about like 12 or 13 windows around the trailer with these canopy things.

Yes, during "in season" you almost have to do daily patrols if they've found some desirable spots.

A few times I've caught some checking out the handle of my garden hose reel.

cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 05, 2016 @ 23:41:22
you ever thought it was their tree first?

NE, Ohio
#11New Post! Aug 06, 2016 @ 01:15:40
@cole Said

you ever thought it was their tree first?

I doubt it - that tree is at least 20 years old.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Aug 07, 2016 @ 18:41:46
The Baldfaced Hornet (actually a wasp kin of the Yellow Jacket & not a true hornet) will leave a pheromone if someone happens to get stung. Then they light up on ANY hornet's radar for a period of time. As a camp counselor we had to keep any kid that was stung indoors for 2-3 days so they wouldn't set off another attack.
Of course in this one situation it was not the kid that threw the rock at the nest that got stung.

The empty nest was often placed in First Nation homes to keep away flies. Keeping an old nest outdoors also helps to keep another colony from taking up near proximity to it.

#13New Post! Aug 08, 2016 @ 13:38:35
@shinobinoz Said

The Baldfaced Hornet (actually a wasp kin of the Yellow Jacket & not a true hornet) will leave a pheromone if someone happens to get stung. Then they light up on ANY hornet's radar for a period of time. As a camp counselor we had to keep any kid that was stung indoors for 2-3 days so they wouldn't set off another attack.
Of course in this one situation it was not the kid that threw the rock at the nest that got stung.

The empty nest was often placed in First Nation homes to keep away flies. Keeping an old nest outdoors also helps to keep another colony from taking up near proximity to it.

Hmmm....those are interesting facts.

Never heard about the whole pheromone thing
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! Aug 08, 2016 @ 18:23:16
@Kinshi86 Said

Opposites attract!
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#15New Post! Aug 08, 2016 @ 18:36:34
@Kinshi86 Said

I've seen mud wasps nest before in my yard too. They really suck lol

Mud wasps are nasty bastards. I haven't gotten stung by one, but I've seen the results.

If you want a really scary wasp, here's the Tarantula Hawk Wasp.

Fun fact: They have the second most painful sting in the insect world, the first being the bullet ant.

@Kinshi86 Said

It's how insects communicate. Every wasp, bee and ant species use different pheromones for different things, mainly to find food or to defend the nest. Yellow jackets release a pheromone when they're killed, alerting the nearby hive about a potential attacker, for instance.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs