AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#31New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 08:46:40
@paramour Said

The Yea's had it earlier in the night, so I kept checking in on it; but it's been reversed for a while now. From my understanding, you are correct. It "supports" same sex marriage (if it does not pass; the "NO" is the majority) but does not legalize it. For the amendment to pass, the majority of ALL voters for the day have to agree; not just the majority who vote for this particular amendment. (So, technically, if the Yea's were leading but it wasn't the majority of the overall registered voters for the day, because some voters abstained from voting on that particular issue, then it still wouldn't pass.)

That sounds familiar. Floydie was trying to make it make sense to me, their laws are a little different that I am used to. I just checked the Duluth papers and they are updating about 15 minutes ago it is not going to pass, though the St Paul one, (where Bachmann is) updated still saying to close to call, but no is more likely. So we probably have to wait until tomorrow to be sure. Even with a no win, it is just a step in the right direction, not granting any actual marriage equality rights.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#32New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 09:02:16
AP has said the MN ban on gay marriage failed.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#33New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 09:16:29
@El_Tino Said

AP has said the MN ban on gay marriage failed.

Yep, but Bachmann's still leading right now, so who knows what shenanigans she can help influence during her next term related to the issue (if she wins).
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#34New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 09:16:41
Well, my last post as i'm way too tipsy to make any sense! I would love to thank Tino & all the wonderful & helpful Mods and such that have made this a really GREAT site that i'm more than happy to continue being a part of! TFS f***ing ROCKS! Have a great day everyone! OBAMA 2012!!
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#35New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 09:21:25
@paramour Said

Yep, but Bachmann's still leading right now, so who knows what shenanigans she can help influence during her next term related to the issue (if she wins).

How long does it take to count the rest of the votes, or did they lose them?
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 09:31:46
bad move ... more traffic accidents ... more accidents at work...more lethargy ...more neglected children ...more people moving onto stronger still illegal drugs because the illegality is part of the appeal ...more people with psychological problems ..and maybe even weight problems .

Purgatory Beach,
#37New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 09:59:42
@El_Tino Said

How long does it take to count the rest of the votes, or did they lose them?

Looks like they finally called it. Close but she maintained her post. <thumbsdown>
Laertes On August 28, 2014

Mieres, Spain
#38New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 10:05:33
Then I'll have to travel to Washington or Colorado

That's a good decision, and I hope all the states and all the countries do the same someday.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#39New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 10:32:36
@Lili Said

https://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/07/colorado-washington-pass-marijuana-legalization-oregon-says-no/

I'm all for legalizing it, what do you think of this development?

I thought the federal law trumped state law via supremacy thus, even though the state legalized it, the feds would still act against it just as the feds attacked the pot growers in cali? State legalization, from my understanding, is immaterial. Anyone correct me if I am wrong
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#40New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 10:53:50
@Tar Said

I thought the federal law trumped state law via supremacy thus, even though the state legalized it, the feds would still act against it just as the feds attacked the pot growers in cali? State legalization, from my understanding, is immaterial. Anyone correct me if I am wrong

This was the source of my confusion here too...
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#41New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 12:52:40
Should be legal.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#42New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 13:46:09
Yay! All states should follow their lead.

For some, it's the only relief they can find. If a person is suffering, they should have a means to put an end to that suffering.
It always struck me idiotic that it was ever a problem - when ciggarettes are so deadly, yet available for the taking.

Purgatory Beach,
#43New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 14:33:07
@Tar Said

@Eaglebauer Said

This was the source of my confusion here too...

My understanding is that although state law is not technically supposed supersede federal law, federal law IS considered "the supreme law of the land." So, even in states that have passed initiatives for "legal marijuana," federal officials can arrest users, growers, distributors, traffickers, and docs who prescribe if they so choose (and they have done so). In the end, federal anti-drug laws are still going to trump your state laws if they want to come after you.

Folks have lost court cases arguing over just this. However, there are folks in Congress who regularly introduce legislation to prevent federal authorities from going after individuals in states where marijuana has been approved by state-law. They've been shot down repeatedly to date. (However, I also seem to recall that there was *something* introduced a few years ago where they finally agreed to stop going after people in *some* situations; typically, if you're terminally ill or something along those lines.)
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#44New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 15:25:13
Yeah, this will undoubtedly end up in the courts.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#45New Post! Nov 07, 2012 @ 15:29:36
I think it's great that it was passed! Now so much time won't be spent arresting the people who own/sell the drug, instead spend more time on real crimes.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs