Politics

Wanted: Democrats to Apologize.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
theglobalsoapboxcom On August 08, 2008

Winchester, Virginia
#1New Post! Jul 29, 2008 @ 22:45:54
Apologize requested:

From: Those that opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964: Some are still alive today, and should be asked to apologize for trying to deny african Americans the right to vote and other basic civil liberties. Some highlights from June 0f 1964;

Most Democrats from the Southern states opposed the bill (Civil Rights Act of 1964), including Senators Albert Gore Sr. (D-TN), J. William Fulbright (D-AR), and Robert Byrd (D-WV).

Richard Russell (D-GA) launched a filibuster to prevent its passage. Said Russell "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our states.

On the morning of June 10, 1964, Senator Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.) completed an address that he had begun 14 hours and 13 minutes earlier opposing the legislation.

So how about saying your sorry now. No need to wait 145 years, since you are still alive, and hell, most of the folks that you tried to oppress are still alive. Why not say sorry for that, right now.

Saying sorry for slavery might make you feel good, but it won't make a single dead slave, or former slave owner get up and start dancing. Stand up, explain why you tried to keep blacks from voting, why you would resist to the bitter end this type of thing?

Are you bitter yet?
Has it ended?

How about Democrats. These were your boys that stood up against the black folks living in the south and used water cannons and dogs to keep them down. Why now do you ask for their votes when 45 years ago you didn't want them to vote?

Since the majority, the VAST majority of those against passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 were Southern Democrats, I suggest we ask one of the most powerful among them to walk up to the mic, explain why he was against it, and explain why now he is sorry.

I ask for one Robert Byrd of West Virginia to approach the mic. I would also ask that he does not wear his KKK hood. He was a former members ya know... thank god he never got very..e.r....what? Oh, he is a ranking member in the Senate for the Democrats?

Well hell......

Anyway.... Send in Mr. Byrd to say he is sorry for something HE did, not something his great-great-great-grand dad did.
tinkastreasure On November 05, 2008

Deleted

Jacksonville,
#2New Post! Jul 29, 2008 @ 22:48:18
Don't forget that they killed the black family. No need for a dad if the nanny state will take care of you. <link removed>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Jul 29, 2008 @ 22:50:03
Christ.

Bulls*** partisan politics prevent anyone from accomplishing anything.

Wake up, sheep. The politicians on both sides are all laughing all the way to the bank because you, the electorate, have been divided and conquered by the 2-party system.

You guys are fighting with each other while the rich people with enough money to buy actual influence are laughing all the way to the bank.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#4New Post! Jul 29, 2008 @ 22:50:33
Interesting how Democrats used to be the more racist of the two parties, and now democrats are the more about progressive rights than republicans. It's an interesting switch.
tinkastreasure On November 05, 2008

Deleted

Jacksonville,
#5New Post! Jul 29, 2008 @ 23:11:28
Not so fast, Democrats do not care for minorities, other than to keep them down and in need. For as long people are in need and not independent, the Dems have a pool of victims as a base. So the only true thing the Dems want is for the poor to stay poor, the dumb to stay dumb, and the weak to stay weak. <link removed>

Winchester, Virginia
#6New Post! Jul 29, 2008 @ 23:22:56
Barry Goldwater also apposed the bill in 64 but not for the reasons the Democrats gave. He said one shouldn't legislate morality. Of course the Dems were saying not to give the black man a vote.

Big difference.

But yeah, the Democrats need a swollen underclass to maintain their biggest voting block. More programs to help the downtrodden out, which in the end, only keeps them down trodden.

Only a sick twisted system would be put in place giving you more money for the more kids you have, and taking away money if you get a job that pays you.

So have kids, don't work and keep voting for the Democrats and we will make sure we send you a check each month. Not enough to actually survive on, but enough that we will need you to vote for us to see if we can get you any more free money.

A Republican freed the slaves (Lincoln) and the Democrats tried to keep them as second class citizens (Civil Rights Act of 1964) yet the largest single voting block for the dems is the black vote.

Why in the hell would that be?

I know blacks are no more stupid then whites but what the hell is that all about anyway?

I think Martin Luther King, Jr. would be apalled at the conditions he would find todays blacks in. A leadership mired in the past, saying it's everyone's fault but their own, and asking for nothing back as long as you keep voting for them, or looking up to them.

I think Dr. King would be saddened greatly.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Jul 29, 2008 @ 23:28:00
You guys are acting as if the Republican parties of the 19th century were the same Republican party of today.

The Republican party of today bears little resemblance to the Republican party of the 20th century, and none whatsoever to that previous one.

Give it up.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#8New Post! Jul 29, 2008 @ 23:33:49
@theglobalsoapboxcom Said

Since the majority, the VAST majority of those against passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 were Southern Democrats, I suggest we ask one of the most powerful among them to walk up to the mic, explain why he was against it, and explain why now he is sorry.

So, then why is it that the civil rights act is generally credited with the fact that Republicans control the south now, whereas before then it was controlled by Democrats? People in the south blamed the Democrats for civil rights, and turned to the Republican party!

Winchester, Virginia
#9New Post! Jul 30, 2008 @ 00:04:09
That is correct. Johnsons new "he lost the south for a generation" once he signed the act into law. The people that were elected were elected by the white folks that kept the blacks from voting.

Once the blacks were given their voice, they voted out the southern bigots that wanted to keep them down. THAT is why the south has gone Republican for almost a generation.

They turned to the party that was NOT against giving them the vote. Hence.. the Republican party. Probably could have been the Communist Party at the point and they would have won.... no one wants to vote into power their own opressors....
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#10New Post! Jul 30, 2008 @ 00:05:23
@theglobalsoapboxcom Said
That is correct. Johnsons new "he lost the south for a generation" once he signed the act into law. The people that were elected were elected by the white folks that kept the blacks from voting.

Once the blacks were given their voice, they voted out the southern bigots that wanted to keep them down. THAT is why the south has gone Republican for almost a generation.

They turned to the party that was NOT against giving them the vote. Hence.. the Republican party. Probably could have been the Communist Party at the point and they would have won.... no one wants to vote into power their own opressors....

I think I'll believe everyone else, rather than... you.

And please keep your link in your signature, not your posts.

Winchester, Virginia
#11New Post! Jul 30, 2008 @ 00:07:15
@jonnythan Said
You guys are acting as if the Republican parties of the 19th century were the same Republican party of today.

The Republican party of today bears little resemblance to the Republican party of the 20th century, and none whatsoever to that previous one.

Give it up.

No But Robert Byrd is still the same Democrat he was in 1964 when he tried to kill the Civil Rights Act. Correct.

Isn't he still a ranking member in the Senate for the Democrats? Makes me think we can act as if the Democrats of 1964 are still the same, cause they are still the same people.

Republicans still believe in personal responsibility. One day soon the folks that the Democrats keep down will understand that, start voting for Republicans and a better day will dawn much sooner than ever before....

BTW, I am a lifelong registered Democrat. Since 1981.

Just never voted for one of the bastards.

Winchester, Virginia
#12New Post! Jul 30, 2008 @ 01:20:04
That's the thing about a free country, we all have the ability to think what we want, read what we want and educate ourselves the way we want. And none of it is wrong.

From Wikipedia (Of course not the end all but a good start)

Civil Rights Act of 1964
Political repercussions

The bill divided and engendered a long-term change in the demographics of both parties. President Johnson realized that supporting this bill would risk losing the South's overwhelming support of the Democratic Party. As Vice President, Johnson pushed the Kennedy administration to introduce civil rights legislation, telling Kennedy aide Ted Sorensen that "I know the risks are great and we might lose the South, but those sorts of states may be lost anyway." Senator Richard Russell, Jr. warned President Johnson that his strong support for the civil rights bill "will not only cost you the South, it will cost you the election." The South indeed started to vote increasingly Republican after 1964. However, political scientists Richard Johnston and Byron Schafer have argued that this development was based more on economics than on race.

Although majorities in both parties voted for the bill, there were notable exceptions. Republican senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona voted against the bill, remarking, "You can't legislate morality." Goldwater had supported previous attempts to pass Civil Rights legislation in 1957 and 1960. The reason for his opposition to the 1964 bill was Title II, which he viewed as a violation of individual liberty. Most Democrats from the Southern states opposed the bill, including Senators Albert Gore Sr. (D-TN), J. William Fulbright (D-AR), and Robert Byrd (D-WV). Goldwater went on to secure his party's nomination for the presidency, and in the ensuing election, Goldwater won only Arizona and five of the Deep South states, two of which (Alabama and Mississippi) had not voted Republican since the disputed presidential election of 1876.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#13New Post! Jul 30, 2008 @ 07:25:57
@speedtiger Said
America is falling down and China is going up. See your presidential candidates:one is a black man and another is an old man, how people like these can lead American go forward?I don't like black people. Some black guys has ever stolen some valuables of me from my apartment. Is there no better candidates for American next President?OK, whoever will be elected, he would not prevent China from rising upward and going forward. American will lose their world and hand it to China.

I'am so sorry you don't like blacks because one of them took your valuables....that's so wrong....I think it's a little crazy that you are holding the entire race of blacks for a single man's crime...just wanted you to know...I will not be blamed for another human's actions...and i'am really ok with your views of blacks....PEACE!!!
Scoobiedoolala On October 30, 2008

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#14New Post! Jul 31, 2008 @ 23:09:14
it seems like there is alot of people wanting apologies for past, long long past behavior of others. ask congress or something. i find it hard to give apologies for someone else's behavior, so long ago. what diff does it make now? do you want a grievance as well? like money damages? kinda silly, if you ask me.
and lastly, the lives we lost in the civil war was enough apology for slavery. slavery was abolished. hence, here we are. now you are asking a former govenor for an apology on tfs? crazeebananas.
richreality On July 08, 2010

, Pennsylvania
#15New Post! Jul 31, 2008 @ 23:50:06
@speedtiger Said
America is falling down and China is going up. ....OK, whoever will be elected, he would not prevent China from rising upward and going forward. American will lose their world and hand it to China.

It's still up to the people, yes, it's true. The battle is tough and long but little ole us still can rally and win. See, we did take something back from China. China Slapped with Tariffs

This was a major victory and long fight by regular people who went by bus to lobby and put insistent pressure on our gov reps. I for one still believe in having the freedom to have a voice, take responsible action and make changes. The victory resulted in my husband among many others being called back to their jobs. Yep, the steel industry.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs