Random

Wall Paper Removal

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#1New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 13:45:05
I have a wall paper border on my kitchen wall. I want to take it off and replace it but I'm having a fit getting it off. Someone told me to spray fabric softner on it but that did'nt work.

Anyone got any ideas on how to make it a little easier to peel off?
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 13:48:06
I'm fricken lazy and I'd just wallpaper over it

But my mum's been decorating lately and to get wallpaper off she just gets a bowl of water and a cloth, soaks the cloth in water and wipes it over the paper.
Perv Magnet

#3New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 13:55:11
I tried laying it over the other it did'nt stick well. I will try soaking it with a cloth again.
jinks On May 17, 2009

Deleted

no place in particular,
#4New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 14:02:27
Wallpaper removal is fairly easy, but quite messy. There are two ways to remove it, aside from ripping it off the walls with your bare hands. Don't laugh... I have seen wallpaper that would fall from the walls with a sideways glance. However, if yours was that easy, you would be practicing an icy stare instead of asking in the TFS forums.
All kidding aside (never), if you can get under a corner of the paper, try to tear it off dry. If it works, it will save you loads of work. In some cases, everything but a small amount of paste residue will remain. You can clean it off with some wallpaper stripper and a sponge. In other cases, the facing (on vinyl papers, primarily) will come off and leave a paper backing stuck on the wall. This backing will be easy to get off with method 2.

METHOD 1: The first method is using a wallpaper steamer, a piece of equipment that can be rented. It sends steam through a hose to a flat metal plate similar to an iron. Pressing this plate on the wall forces steam into the wallpaper, which softens the paper and paste. This allows you to strip the paper with a wide putty knife.

This method harkens to the days of plaster walls, still in abundance in older homes but a relative rarity in the last twenty or thirty years. Unfortunately, aggressive steaming can damage paper-faced wallboards, especially if the wallboard wasn't fully sealed prior to wallpapering. In new construction, walls that are going to be papered are often not primed with paint, but just coated with sizing. The sizing seals enough to allow the wallpaper to stick, but offers little protection to the walls otherwise. This leads us to Method 2...

METHOD 2: The second method involves the use of a chemical agent that is added to hot water. This chemical is an enzyme that soaks into the paper and dissolves the paste. It takes a little longer than the steamer, but does a fine job and is less damaging to the walls. The trick is to allow the chemical to do its work, and not to rush into scraping too soon. The paper should be kept wet with the chemical until the paper is loose enough to scrape off EASILY.

The wallpaper stripper is applied with a sprayer, either a hand-held trigger spray type for very small jobs or a pump-type pressurized garden sprayer for entire rooms. Cover the floors with plastic tarps under newspapers to absorb the excess spray and collect the old paper. As waste accumulates, throw away a few layers of newspaper and put additional paper on the tarps.

If the original paper is a non-porous vinyl, you may have to rip the vinyl face from the wall before using either removal method, because neither the steam nor the chemical stripper will easily penetrate the vinyl.

Check this stuff out ... https://www.wallwik.com/
"Almost as simple as peeling a banana."
roBingoodfElLOW On January 06, 2010
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#5New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 14:03:35
Get a steam stripper. Or, just spray water on, let it soak then scrape.
roBingoodfElLOW On January 06, 2010
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#6New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 14:04:30
Or you could read jinksy's post, looks far better than mine
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#7New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 14:04:32
I agree steaming it is the easiest
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#8New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 14:05:30
Jinks you are really an authority on this subject-----
Perv Magnet

#9New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 14:12:11
Ok I'm going with the steamer. THanks guys for all your help . I'll let you know how it works.
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#10New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 14:36:18
I have the prospect of stripping wallpaper out of a 3 bedroom house....joy!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 15:40:30
yeah those steamers make it so much easier.
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#12New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 15:46:21
Actually, the easiest way is to have a guy do it---a shirtless hulk
monik On March 23, 2009

london, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 10, 2009 @ 11:46:02
Soaking a cloth into water sounds promising but note that there are alternative methods of taking wallpapers off the wall and you wont necessarily need to take the paper that is behind the border lines that you have off.you might have heard about a product https://wallwik.co.uk/ that re-hydrate the paste and it is easy and practical.Saved me the headache of sanding walls after taking everything off the walls
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs