The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Wake (ceremony)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#1New Post! May 26, 2007 @ 18:44:46
"Traditionally, a wake takes place in the house of the deceased, with the body present; however, modern wakes are often performed at a funeral home."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_(ceremony)

My Grandma was telling me when she was a kid they would hold the wake of the person who had died in the home, she said it was scary especially being a young kid at the time not able to sleep having a dead family member there in the room.. She also mentioned that houses with a wreath on the front door indicated that someone died and they were holding a wake.

now can you imagine holding a wake in your house with the body there as you are sleeping..your deceased family member, that has to be awful. I wouldn't be able to sleep in the house and I think it would stick with me for life. When my Great grandfather passed away when I was 12 or so I remember looking in the casket and seeing him dead, not the same way as I once knew him, ever since then I can't look at anyone in an open casket.. I don't think I ever will because that image of how he looked while he was deceased has stuck with me for so long and has given me sleepness nights, still does. I would rather remember them and how they were when they were alive and well..

so what are your thoughts on everything?
queenofhearts On December 16, 2009

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 26, 2007 @ 18:48:34
I know where your coming from there when my nan passed away they had a open casket and i bent down to give her a final kiss and it was shocking feeling such cold on my lips.
Something i think what stays with you for life ...I think its best to remember our loved ones the way they was.
yorkiechick On August 07, 2011

, Germany
#3New Post! May 26, 2007 @ 20:51:36
When my dad died my mam gave me the choice to see him or not,i decided not to as i wanted to remember him as he was.I have not regreted my choice.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 27, 2007 @ 10:40:39
Our family are irish but we never do the wake thing, but we always have massive funerals with LOTS of alcohol.
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 27, 2007 @ 10:46:24
we have a massive celebration of life after the funeral. but i would ahve dearly loved to have had a traditional wake with my grandparents in their own homes. i would ahve stayed the night on the settee in the same room with either of them right next to me in their coffins with the lids off. i know that they wouldnt hurt me. they never did in life, why would they hurt me in death?
mollymalone On March 01, 2008

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#6New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 17:12:53
Coming from Ireland we still have wakes. When a person dies (a corpse) they are put into a coffin by the undertakers and "laid out" in the living room or bedroom of their own house or that of a relative. All blinds in that room are closed and mirrors covered by a cloth. A wreath or bouquet of flowers is placed on the door knocker of the front door to indicate a death in the family or sometimes a cross made of black material is used instead.
In the wake house, people do not normally sleep there, but go to another house to sleep and someone or a few people sit up all night with the corpse.
This usually goes on for two days and nights when people come and "pay their respects", have a chat, smoke, have tea, sandwiches and of course a wee drink.
On the third day the corpse is then removed to the church for a cermoney and then buriel.
Families nowadays go to a hotel for a meal, but in the olden days they went back to the house for a drink either alcohol or tea or both to celebrate the life of the person who died.

This tradition is still very much alive today in Ireland.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs