Voter Fraud

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#1New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 06:32:35
What's with all this nonsense about people going to vote in person under someone else's name? Has this even happened anywhere?

The real potential for abuse is via absentee ballots.

"While fraud in voting by mail is far less common than innocent errors, it is vastly more prevalent than the in-person voting fraud that has attracted far more attention, election administrators say."

"In Florida, absentee-ballot scandals seem to arrive like clockwork around election time. Before this year’s primary, for example, a woman in Hialeah was charged with forging an elderly voter’s signature, a felony, and possessing 31 completed absentee ballots, 29 more than allowed under a local law."

"“Absentee voting is to voting in person,” Judge Richard A. Posner of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit has written, “as a take-home exam is to a proctored one.”"

"oters in nursing homes can be subjected to subtle pressure, outright intimidation or fraud. The secrecy of their voting is easily compromised. And their ballots can be intercepted both coming and going.

The problem is not limited to the elderly, of course. Absentee ballots also make it much easier to buy and sell votes. In recent years, courts have invalidated mayoral elections in Illinois and Indiana because of fraudulent absentee ballots."

"“There has been not one case of fraud in early voting,” Mr. Sancho said. “The only cases of election fraud have been in absentee ballots.”"

"Election law experts say that pulling off in-person voter fraud on a scale large enough to swing an election, with scores if not hundreds of people committing a felony in public by pretending to be someone else, is hard to imagine, to say nothing of exceptionally risky.

There are much simpler and more effective alternatives to commit fraud on such a scale, said Heather Gerken, a law professor at Yale.

“You could steal some absentee ballots or stuff a ballot box or bribe an election administrator or fiddle with an electronic voting machine,” she said. That explains, she said, “why all the evidence of stolen elections involves absentee ballots and the like.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/us/politics/as-more-vote-by-mail-faulty-ballots-could-impact-elections.html
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 08:32:22
What about the hanging chads?
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#3New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 09:28:59
@El_Tino Said

What's with all this nonsense about people going to vote in person under someone else's name? Has this even happened anywhere?

"While fraud in voting by mail is far less common than innocent errors, it is vastly more prevalent than the in-person voting fraud that has attracted far more attention, election administrators say."

"In Florida, absentee-ballot scandals seem to arrive like clockwork around election time. Before this year’s primary, for example, a woman in Hialeah was charged with forging an elderly voter’s signature, a felony, and possessing 31 completed absentee ballots, 29 more than allowed under a local law."

"“Absentee voting is to voting in person,” Judge Richard A. Posner of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit has written, “as a take-home exam is to a proctored one.”"

"oters in nursing homes can be subjected to subtle pressure, outright intimidation or fraud. The secrecy of their voting is easily compromised. And their ballots can be intercepted both coming and going.

The problem is not limited to the elderly, of course. Absentee ballots also make it much easier to buy and sell votes. In recent years, courts have invalidated mayoral elections in Illinois and Indiana because of fraudulent absentee ballots."

"“There has been not one case of fraud in early voting,” Mr. Sancho said. “The only cases of election fraud have been in absentee ballots.”"

"Election law experts say that pulling off in-person voter fraud on a scale large enough to swing an election, with scores if not hundreds of people committing a felony in public by pretending to be someone else, is hard to imagine, to say nothing of exceptionally risky.

There are much simpler and more effective alternatives to commit fraud on such a scale, said Heather Gerken, a law professor at Yale.

“You could steal some absentee ballots or stuff a ballot box or bribe an election administrator or fiddle with an electronic voting machine,” she said. That explains, she said, “why all the evidence of stolen elections involves absentee ballots and the like.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/us/politics/as-more-vote-by-mail-faulty-ballots-could-impact-elections.html

every article I ever read about voter fraud has said the same thing when it cited reliable data. Voter fraud's effect is negligible and it is a tool used to cover intimidation tactics which are vastly more palpable.

What else is an extreme minority to do when it is losing its grip on its seat of power if not revert to threatening behavior under the guise of an honorable task?
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#4New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 10:28:51
This is ludicrous! Next thing you are going to tell me that Republican attempts to clamp down on voter fraud are just cynical and flagrant attempts to disenfranchise further those that are less likely to vote for them!
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 10:45:44
it happened in england a few general elections back ... labour party members were visiting immigrants who couldn't speak english ... and getting their voting cards and then giving the vote to labour .
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#6New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 11:13:01
@fitzyp Said

This is ludicrous! Next thing you are going to tell me that Republican attempts to clamp down on voter fraud are just cynical and flagrant attempts to disenfranchise further those that are less likely to vote for them!

No.... but we'll let a republican say it

Republican voter suppression admission
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 16:33:59
@El Tino Said

Absolutist not! Those Chicago ghosts voted in their own names.

Quote:

I agree, especially since absentee voting has taken on such a prominent role in the voting process lately. But it just widens the avenues for abuse. Postal worker loosing ballots, the military not getting theirs or "not ordering" them, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, in the past, voting irregularities won't decide elections that aren't close. But what's the point, it's OK if it is close? And this is a growing problem, especially now with the vast increase absentee voting.

@fitzyp Said

Ah, sanity from the other side of the Earth. Lemme e'splain. Disenfranchisement is a bogus claim, the stupidity of which can only be covered by a complicit media, and accepted by a majority of the voting public who are ignorant or corrupt or both.

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 17:26:30
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Ah, sanity from the other side of the Earth. Lemme e'splain. Disenfranchisement is a bogus claim, the stupidity of which can only be covered by a complicit media, and accepted by a majority of the voting public who are ignorant or both.

Issue aside, there is a reason Republicans are pushing this through, and anybody with an ounce of intelligence would see it.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#9New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 17:37:27
@Leon Said

Issue aside, there is a reason Republicans are pushing this through, and anybody with an ounce of intelligence would see it.

Is it wrong to stand up for the Truth, even when it's to your benefit?

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#10New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 19:55:15
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Is it wrong to stand up for the Truth, even when it's to your benefit?

It is if you never were pushing for it up until now and wouldn't be pushing for it if it gave more votes to the other side. In fact, there's a word for that.

It's also just as bad if you make it law and charge the new requirement or put in place additional hurdles for those who want it for free. That, as you should know, if you truly are what you claim to be, would be unconstitutional.
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#11New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 23:14:40
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Ah, sanity from the other side of the Earth. Lemme e'splain. Disenfranchisement is a bogus claim, the stupidity of which can only be covered by a complicit media, and accepted by a majority of the voting public who are ignorant or corrupt or both.

My comment was sarcastic. Whilst I'm no expert on the American voting system, from what I've seen the ID laws enacted by Republicans seem to only stop in person multiple voting which I've heard isn't really that much of a problem whilst at the same time it will lead to a huge amount of people being ineligible to vote whom just so happen to usually support Democrats. So in essence the voter ID laws seem to be shooting a mosquito with a shot gun.
chaski On about 16 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Oct 08, 2012 @ 23:39:06
Last week, for some reason I decided to check my voter registration status in Florida.

The website response was:

Voter Status: Inactive
Eligible to Vote: No

WTF!!!

I have not moved. I vote on a regular basis. No convictions. The only significant events in my life since the last presidential election were that I went to Iraq for a year, then retired.

Obviously I have contacted the appropriate officials and filled out the appropriate forms to correct this problem,

But...

WTF!!!
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#13New Post! Oct 09, 2012 @ 01:46:36
@Leon Said

It is if you never were pushing for it up until now and wouldn't be pushing for it if it gave more votes to the other side. In fact, there's a word for that.

It's also just as bad if you make it law and charge the new requirement or put in place additional hurdles for those who want it for free. That, as you should know, if you truly are what you claim to be, would be unconstitutional.

????

@fitzyp Said

My comment was sarcastic. Whilst I'm no expert on the American voting system, from what I've seen the ID laws enacted by Republicans seem to only stop in person multiple voting which I've heard isn't really that much of a problem whilst at the same time it will lead to a huge amount of people being ineligible to vote whom just so happen to usually support Democrats. So in essence the voter ID laws seem to be shooting a mosquito with a shot gun.

I knew it was sarcastic and we can't believe what our own media tells us. How you gonna know what's goin' on 'round there?

@chaski Said

Last week, for some reason I decided to check my voter registration status in Florida.

The website response was:

Voter Status: Inactive
Eligible to Vote: No

WTF!!!

I have not moved. I vote on a regular basis. No convictions. The only significant events in my life since the last presidential election were that I went to Iraq for a year, then retired.

Obviously I have contacted the appropriate officials and filled out the appropriate forms to correct this problem,

But...

WTF!!!

The Dems musta thought you were infiltrating.

DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#14New Post! Oct 09, 2012 @ 01:52:09
If my understanding is correct, I am truly shocked one does not need id to vote. I have voted since I was 18 years old and I always had to give valid picture government id and my voting card before I was allowed to the cubicle to vote. I ma shocked, truly shocked, I could cross the border and pretend to be someone and vote. I do not know anyone who does not have government issued photo id. You need it for so many things that its impossible to function as an adult with no valid id.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#15New Post! Oct 09, 2012 @ 02:29:40
@DorkySupergirl Said

If my understanding is correct, I am truly shocked one does not need id to vote. I have voted since I was 18 years old and I always had to give valid picture government id and my voting card before I was allowed to the cubicle to vote. I ma shocked, truly shocked, I could cross the border and pretend to be someone and vote. I do not know anyone who does not have government issued photo id. You need it for so many things that its impossible to function as an adult with no valid id.

ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I have rented the bus you and all of your cousins are still coming down right we need those votes.We can mail in max's vote.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs