The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Teens:
Future Plans

Volunteering Good For Finding Which Field You Want To Work In Before Going To College

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
MainerMikeBrown On April 19, 2021

Hiram, Maine
#1New Post! Aug 26, 2013 @ 22:31:38
I'm sure a lot of teens reading this are tired of being asked "What do you want to do with your life?" I know it sort of drove me a little crazy when I was in my senior year in high school.

However, one thing I would recommend any high school student who is looking towards the future is that the only way you're going to know if you would enjoy having a career in a particular field or not is if you've actually worked in that field.

That's why I'm a big proponent of performing volunteer work/internship in a field you think you might enjoy working in. To me, it's the best way of discovering what it's really like to work in the field(s) you have an interest in.

It's also the reason why I, if I ever have kids one day, will have them perform volunteer work in the field or fields they have an interest in. In my opinion, it reduces the chances of having me send them through college, only for them to discover that they don't like working in the field they went to college for.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#2New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 05:40:43
@MainerMikeBrown Said

I'm sure a lot of teens reading this are tired of being asked "What do you want to do with your life?" I know it sort of drove me a little crazy when I was in my senior year in high school.

However, one thing I would recommend any high school student who is looking towards the future is that the only way you're going to know if you would enjoy having a career in a particular field or not is if you've actually worked in that field.

That's why I'm a big proponent of performing volunteer work/internship in a field you think you might enjoy working in. To me, it's the best way of discovering what it's really like to work in the field(s) you have an interest in.

It's also the reason why I, if I ever have kids one day, will have them perform volunteer work in the field or fields they have an interest in. In my opinion, it reduces the chances of having me send them through college, only for them to discover that they don't like working in the field they went to college for.

Great theory. I'm not sure that every field lends itself to volunteer work at all, let alone volunteer work that teens are welcomed to perform, and around here, there really is no such thing as internships for teens. Those are generally for college students who have some hours completed in the field of their major.
MainerMikeBrown On April 19, 2021

Hiram, Maine
#3New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 15:14:13
Alk 1975, the thing is, their's still opportunity for teens to perform internships.

For example, I performed an internship at a radio station one year after I graduated high school. And while I was there, their was a teenager who hadn't graduated high school yet. But he was still able to do an internship there.

Furthermore, I volunteered at a community TV station years ago. And some of our volunteer staff were teens who hadn't graduated high school yet.

So yes, their is still opportunity for high school students to discover what it's like to work in a field they have an interest in via internships. Internship opportunities aren't just limited to college students.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#4New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 19:50:29
@MainerMikeBrown Said

Alk 1975, the thing is, their's still opportunity for teens to perform internships.

For example, I performed an internship at a radio station one year after I graduated high school. And while I was there, their was a teenager who hadn't graduated high school yet. But he was still able to do an internship there.

Furthermore, I volunteered at a community TV station years ago. And some of our volunteer staff were teens who hadn't graduated high school yet.

So yes, their is still opportunity for high school students to discover what it's like to work in a field they have an interest in via internships. Internship opportunities aren't just limited to college students.

This is possible in some places. I'd daresay not most.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#5New Post! Aug 29, 2013 @ 03:00:36
It depends on the state laws and how hard you look. There is opportunity everywhere.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs