Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#1New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:03:20

I know I've suggested previously that it would be very nice if TFS staff could alert (automatically or manually) a user when a post is deleted.

The answer to that has been no.

However, I found out today that users can still see their own posts after they've been removed. This strikes me as incredibly odd and counterproductive.

I had a post removed, apparently. I have no idea what post it is. I can still see the post. I have no idea why the post would have been removed. No one has said anything at all about it. How does this help anyone? If I did something that warrants removal, doesn't it make sense for me to find out about it? Or even be able to find out about it myself?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:07:30

I would want to be notified if I did something "wrong." Or at least be able to see that my post was removed.

I could see a great big game of "I said 'blah blah blah blah blah'" and not being able to prove it. It might come out if I mention the post number and another poster tells me it was deleted.

But yes, I think it would help if we could find out somehow. I've seen on other comment sections things like <post deleted by admin>. It leaves the posters name/time/post #, but the text isn't there anymore.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily tell you what was removed or why.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#3New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:15:50

@jonnythan Said

I know I've suggested previously that it would be very nice if TFS staff could alert (automatically or manually) a user when a post is deleted.

The answer to that has been no.

However, I found out today that users can still see their own posts after they've been removed. This strikes me as incredibly odd and counterproductive.

I had a post removed, apparently. I have no idea what post it is. I can still see the post. I have no idea why the post would have been removed. No one has said anything at all about it. How does this help anyone? If I did something that warrants removal, doesn't it make sense for me to find out about it? Or even be able to find out about it myself?

I think it would be 203 in the whitney huston dies thread that if you can see it I can't anymore then jen 204 then whiteswan 205 hope this helps. This is all from memory so I could be wrong
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:18:13
Post 203 is Forumless, and I can't see posts 201 or 202. I am post 200, so maybe that's it?
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#5New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:31:45

that is it I can't see 200 or 201 or 202 I just checked the thread
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:33:20

I can see how the system as it is would prevent a person from starting a b**** fest in the thread about the removed post, which would defeat the purpose of removing the post in the first place. But yeah, it seems a little sneaky to do things that way too, and doesn't help the person learn which posts are and aren't appropriate. I'm not sure how to address both of those factors at once.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:35:24

If there's no possible way to find out you've done something wrong without being a damn detective....
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:36:34

Would it be better to do it how comments are removed on YT - the fact that a post was made remains, but the content is altered to "comment removed - [reason]" or something along those lines?

x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:37:34
@Lili Said

I can see how the system as it is would prevent a person from starting a b**** fest in the thread about the removed post, which would defeat the purpose of removing the post in the first place. But yeah, it seems a little sneaky to do things that way too, and doesn't help the person learn which posts are and aren't appropriate. I'm not sure how to address both of those factors at once.

I have nothing to add to this thread that's not already been said, but s***, I love your sig.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:52:34

@someone_else Said

I would want to be notified if I did something "wrong." Or at least be able to see that my post was removed.

I could see a great big game of "I said 'blah blah blah blah blah'" and not being able to prove it. It might come out if I mention the post number and another poster tells me it was deleted.

But yes, I think it would help if we could find out somehow. I've seen on other comment sections things like <post deleted by admin>. It leaves the posters name/time/post #, but the text isn't there anymore.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily tell you what was removed or why.

in the event that the forum sight would ever deem you to be in breech of tos then i would quit and stick to face book
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#11New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:53:50
@offbeat Said

in the event that the forum sight would ever deem you to be in breech of tos then i would quit and stick to face book

Awww bless you.

After I posted this I remembered talking to you in the "people blessing you" thread.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#12New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 19:54:07

@offbeat Said

Usually, you're "punched" for violating TOS first offense, like I did. I don't think the mods react to kindly the second and third times, especially with some of these posters who have been around awhile. I have NO idea why posts would be deleted, unless the poster requested they be taken down!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 20:00:07

@BozieFozie Said

Usually, you're "punched" for violating TOS first offense, like I did. I don't think the mods react to kindly the second and third times, especially with some of these posters who have been around awhile. I have NO idea why posts would be deleted, unless the poster requested they be taken down!

Posts are usually deleted to try and relieve some of the aggro in the thread. It stops people from responding to the post and kind of diffuses the situation a bit.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#14New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 20:03:11

If you quote something that is against TOS, chances are your post is going to be removed too.

which is what happened in this case.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! Feb 13, 2012 @ 20:04:28

My post quoted no one and would appear to be the original offender, as it were.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs