Victim of hate crime defends life of attacker

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 15:26:58
In the days following September 11th 2001, Mark Stroman attacked three people, killing two of them, because he suspected them of being "Arabs" and was seeking revenge for the terrorist attacks. He has been on death row for nine years and is scheduled to be executed tomorrow.

But Rais Bhuiyan, who survived Stroman's shotgun attack but lost sight in his right eye, is campaigning for the shooter's life. He offers forgiveness to Stroman, who ackowledges that his crime was a result of hate and ignorance.

"He did what he did, but now he is a different person, and can talk to the people - those who are as ignorant as him - so there is a chance we can live in a better society. Execution is not a solution in this case."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14199078
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#2New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 15:29:12
Good on Rais. That takes a strong soul.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#3New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 15:32:46
This is just one of the reasons death row is so controversial.

Make it life in prison instead of death row.

I don't think ignorance or hate is an excuse for crimes committed. A grown man should know that killing someone and violence is not a solution to anything. Heck, kids know that too.

He does need to pay for the crimes... but an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 15:33:50
@chisa96 Said

Good on Rais. That takes a strong soul.

The victim of a crime is often readier to forgive the criminal than most of the other people who are indignant on their behalf.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 15:44:17
@buffalobill90 Said

The victim of a crime is often readier to forgive the criminal than most of the other people who are indignant on their behalf.

funny how that works isnt it.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#6New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 15:47:39
@buffalobill90 Said

I'm still not sure that I could forgive someone who left me blind in one eye...

I don't think that I'd push for burning him at the stake, but I'm not sure that I could actively defend him either. Rais sounds like a good man.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#7New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 15:56:16
@chisa96 Said

I'm still not sure that I could forgive someone who left me blind in one eye...

Yeah, that's a tough test!

If the victim is willing to forgive him, then who are any of us not to?
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 15:58:03
To me there are a lot of gray areas in a case like this.

Sometimes to move on from a traumatic event, therapist encourage victims to forgive the person that hurt them. It's hard to say what is true and what is not.

Sometimes victims are pushed towards their POV. Other times, it's totally genuine.

I think that even if the victims forgive, should that be enough to absolve the preparatory guilt from a legal standpoint. The whole concept of laws is lost if you do that, but maybe not in a philosophical sense.

Another question to ponder: Are the immediate victims of the attack the only victims. What about those dead ones? And is society in general a victim of the crimes as well? Is it solely up to that victim in general?

I can say that I am an indirect victim of crimes related to racism. I can say that I have been subject to a different standard by people because of 9/11. Are all victims tied or are we individually our own?
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#9New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 16:02:32
I totally agree. It has to stop somewhere. Revenge will only continue. One side needs to see that forgiveness is the key to peace. This Guy sees the wisdom in so doing. I applaud him.

J.R.

#10New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 16:07:52
@boobagins Said

To me there are a lot of gray areas in a case like this.

Sometimes to move on from a traumatic event, therapist encourage victims to forgive the person that hurt them. It's hard to say what is true and what is not.

Sometimes victims are pushed towards their POV. Other times, it's totally genuine.

I think that even if the victims forgive, should that be enough to absolve the preparatory guilt from a legal standpoint. The whole concept of laws is lost if you do that, but maybe not in a philosophical sense.

Another question to ponder: Are the immediate victims of the attack the only victims. What about those dead ones? And is society in general a victim of the crimes as well? Is it solely up to that victim in general?

I can say that I am an indirect victim of crimes related to racism. I can say that I have been subject to a different standard by people because of 9/11. Are all victims tied or are we individually our own?

Killing Mark Stroman will not bring back the people he killed. What if those surviving families came forward and forgave him as well? Someone, somewhere is going to have to stop this cycle of eye for an eye. If we don't this will go on for eternity. Rais is on to something here. A Spiritually advanced Soul.

J.R.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#11New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 16:10:06
@JR_Sanford Said

Killing Rais will not bring back the people he killed. What if those surviving families came forward and forgave him as well? Someone, somewhere is going to have to stop this cycle of eye for an eye. If we don't this will go on for eternity.

J.R.

Go back and read my posts. Is death row the same thing as life in prison?
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#12New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 16:12:56
@boobagins Said

Go back and read my posts. Is death row the same thing as life in prison?

Killing mark... Rais is the forgiving victim.

#13New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 16:16:17
@chisa96 Said

Killing mark... Rais is the forgiving victim.

Oops, that's what I meant. Thanks I edited the post.

J.R.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#14New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 16:17:53
Sure sure. Don't know how I quoted booby for it, but meh... whatever.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#15New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 16:21:01
I got so confused for a second.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs