Vegan meat (i.e. Boca, Morningstar)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 18:20:58
I love this stuff, preferably Morningstar but Boca is good too. I just ate some veggie sausage and omg, I could live off that stuff

I'm gonna say there's likely some people who wouldn't try it based on the fact that it's veggie "meat" but hell, you should, not necessarily to replace meat or anything. I'm not a vegan but it's nice getting something a little different every now and then.

Anybody else like it?
Pantagruel On May 05, 2010

salford, Pennsylvania
#2New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 18:23:17
Vegans Rule! bit those morningstar burgers are too mushy for me. boca is not too bad, but either way, they are such a rip-off.

I generally stick to hummous sandwiches on serious whole grain bread. add some watercress, and presto! instant munchible!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 18:23:23
Is it nicer than Quorn?

I've tried that and it's very nice, can't really tell the difference between that and real meat.
clinically crackers

#4New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 18:26:21
@Pantagruel Said

Vegans Rule! bit those morningstar burgers are too mushy for me. boca is not too bad, but either way, they are such a rip-off.

I generally stick to hummous sandwiches on serious whole grain bread. add some watercress, and presto! instant munchible!

How is it a rip off?
@sister_of_mercy Said

Is it nicer than Quorn?

I've tried that and it's very nice, can't really tell the difference between that and real meat.

I've never had that brand, only the two mentioned. Those are the only I've seen Of course I'm in an area where pickled pigs feet are a delicacy so you see what I've got to work with
Laurette On December 30, 2014
Cracker, please.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdo
#5New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 18:27:24
@sister_of_mercy Said

Is it nicer than Quorn?

I love Quorn
clinically crackers

#6New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 18:29:13
@sister_of_mercy Said

Is it nicer than Quorn?

I just used the store locator on Quorn's website, the only stores near me that sell that stuff are still at least 2ish hours away.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:08:58
One thing I don't get is if you're vegetarian, why do you want to eat a meat substitute?

Would you eat 'grown in a lab' meat because an animal didn't die? Surely there is some part of you that wants to eat meat otherwise you'd just eat veggie burgers and such.

Genuine question, I just don't understand vegetarians eating meat substitutes.
clinically crackers

#8New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:16:45
@SparklyKatie Said

One thing I don't get is if you're vegetarian, why do you want to eat a meat substitute?

Would you eat 'grown in a lab' meat because an animal didn't die? Surely there is some part of you that wants to eat meat otherwise you'd just eat veggie burgers and such.

I'm not a vegetarian or anything, I just eat it because it tastes good and it's healthier than most things I eat.

I can see your point, but really i think for many it's just because it's a good source of protein and vitamins/minerals, and it's tasty (it's not the same flavor as meat, the kind I like is genuinely like a cooked veggie burger to me)

Also if you didn't grow up a vegetarian it might make the transition easier, as you were probably used to eating meat when you were younger.
HeidiRC On December 26, 2009

, Colorado
#9New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:16:59
hate them cos they taste so bad. gave them to our boxers
clinically crackers

#10New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:18:00
@HeidiRC Said

hate them cos they taste so bad. gave them to our boxers

Oddly to me it tastes better than some meat. Personal taste preferences I guess.
Laurette On December 30, 2014
Cracker, please.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdo
#11New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:22:53
@SparklyKatie Said

@eternus_somnium Said

I can see your point, but really i think for many it's just because it's a good source of protein and vitamins/minerals, and it's tasty (it's not the same flavor as meat, the kind I like is genuinely like a cooked veggie burger to me)

Also if you didn't grow up a vegetarian it might make the transition easier, as you were probably used to eating meat when you were younger.

Yeah that's basically why I eat Quorn
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:30:46
Vegan Meat is excellent, though I've been banned from all the vegie places in Edinburgh as they realised I was killing vegans for steak.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#13New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:38:15
@SparklyKatie Said

Its not looked as a meat substitute. Its looked at as any other food. I look at it as the best way to get protein since most of the patties and everything are made out of soy. When you're a veggie, its hard to get all your protein. Plus it taste good, and soy, apart from potatoes and certain vegetables has a solid consistency that you can shape and mold to what ever fits your mood at the moment, where as grains and other veggies fall apart.

Here is another way to look at it. Meat is made to look like a patti, or sausage or in little chunks so you can put it in soup and what not. It doesn't come out out of the animal in perfect patti. Why is it a patti in the first place? Because its easier to handle and eat and can be paired with other good food such as bread.

Just cause it looks like meat, doesn't mean its solely a meat substitute.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#14New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:39:38
@SparklyKatie Said

And I don't think its grown in the lab. It may have started out like that...but ehh all food do. The lab is our kitchen no?

Its soy, mixed with other ingredients...manufactured like every processed foods we get today.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Dec 26, 2009 @ 19:41:20
@boobagins Said

Its not looked as a meat substitute. Its looked at as any other food. I look at it as the best way to get protein since most of the patties and everything are made out of soy. When you're a veggie, its hard to get all your protein. Plus it taste good, and soy, apart from potatoes and certain vegetables has a solid consistency that you can shape and mold to what ever fits your mood at the moment, where as grains and other veggies fall apart.

Here is another way to look at it. Meat is made to look like a patti, or sausage or in little chunks so you can put it in soup and what not. It doesn't come out out of the animal in perfect patti. Why is it a patti in the first place? Because its easier to handle and eat and can be paired with other good food such as bread.

Just cause it looks like meat, doesn't mean its solely a meat substitute.

I suppose, I just don't get why they make veggie 'sausages' and 'burgers' which have always been (until vegetarianism and quorn burgers took off) meat dishes.

Why not make vegetable shaped products with protein in them?

Maybe us carnivores should develop a range of meat shaped vegetables.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs