Member Forums

Unarmed Law Enforcement in Countries Where the Citizen's are Armed

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Sep 25, 2016 @ 23:59:27
Believe it or not, there are countries in which the police are not armed but it's citizens are. Iceland is one country where there are 30.0 guns per one hundred citizens and the police have been disarmed nice the let 1880s . Plus Iceland has one of the lowest crime rating in the world. They had one instance of death by cops in their entire history and that happened in 2013 .
This all sounds like a fairy tale at best or someone is making this up while smoking a really mellow 'hand rolled' cigarette .
My understanding of why or how this can be possible . The two top reasons is the amount and type of training police have to get before they’re fully qualified and the mind set of the government.
In America there is an estimated 112.6 guns per one hundred citizens , our police get an average of nineteen weeks of training. In other countries police get three years of training before they’re fully qualified.
In America police are trained on how to defend themselves . Iceland police are trained to de-escalate hostile situations and use minimal violence in response to a threat .
Their policy is police are there to protect its citizens not oppress them .
In America the law governing police is ' in the US, police officers can shoot if there’s “reasonable” perception of a grave and imminent threat,'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

https://qz.com/727941/how-do-police-handle-violence-in-countries-where-officers-dont-carry-guns/

n/a, New Mexico
#2New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 00:07:11
I don't know why that one link isn't working , sorry .
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#3New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 00:10:05
@white_swan53 Said

I don't know why that one link isn't working , sorry .

Estimated Guns Per Capita Wiki Page

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 00:12:11

Thank you .
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#5New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 00:19:15
@white_swan53 Said

Thank you .

You're welcome. [smile]https://i.tfster.com/i50/5/1/4/tfs_9b91ae3661da.gif">

Our guns per capita rate blows my mind.

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 01:15:19
@LuckyCharms Said

You're welcome. [smile]https://i.tfster.com/i50/5/1/4/tfs_9b91ae3661da.gif">

Our guns per capita rate blows my mind.

I agree and that's an estimate I know a guy that so totally bought into the 'millennium' 2000 scare that he spent the decade from 1990 to 1999 buying guns he has a few fully auto machine guns several high power w/ scope rifle' s I never did know how many semi auto 9 mm handguns and single shot 6 shooters and no less then 1000 rounds per gun.
He bought them all legal from gun shops and hock shops. If say there's as few as one million gun owners like him across America , there's probably more , but these numbers add up.
Well hey I personally own 6 firearms . Two and guns and four rifle's.
Around here I'm what is considered gun poor.

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 01:29:38
@white_swan53 Said

I agree and that's an estimate I know a guy that so totally bought into the 'millennium' 2000 scare that he spent the decade from 1990 to 1999 buying guns he has a few fully auto machine guns several high power w/ scope rifle' s I never did know how many semi auto 9 mm handguns and single shot 6 shooters and no less then 1000 rounds per gun.
He bought them all legal from gun shops and hock shops. If say there's as few as one million gun owners like him across America , there's probably more , but these numbers add up.
Well hey I personally own 6 firearms . Two and guns and four rifle's.
Around here I'm what is considered gun poor.

For the record, to of the rifle 's are .22's and one of the hand guns too, I have a three or four boxes of .22 longs rounds . One shot gun two boxes of shells, one 8 mm sniper rifle my late husbands dad came home with from the Korean action as far as I know you can't buy ammo for it I have three rounds for it and then my .357 two boxes of rounds.
And live in hose with 18 ins. rock walls . I figure if ever something like that 'millennium' 2000 scare were to actually happen and 'they' came for my guns I could hold out oh maybe an hour max , because once their rounds start bouncing off these rock walls I'll be in s*** neck deep.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#8New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 02:51:04
Comparing Iceland to the US isnt even comparing apples to oranges. Yes they have high gun ownership but their gun control laws are VASTLY different to that of the US both in terms of who can legally own firearms and what firearms are legal to own. Iceland is also a largely homogeneous country which also has (by western standards) very low levels of drug use and little in the way of organised crime. There is also nowhere near the difference in economic outcomes for people in Iceland when compared to countries like the USA.

Note - Iceland does have a special armed police unit.
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#9New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 03:03:48
I wouldn't be a LEO without a pistola for nothing in the world. LOL. You getting outgunned by the criminals is no bueno for sure.

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 03:07:48
@shadowen Said

Comparing Iceland to the US isnt even comparing apples to oranges. Yes they have high gun ownership but their gun control laws are VASTLY different to that of the US both in terms of who can legally own firearms and what firearms are legal to own. Iceland is also a largely homogeneous country which also has (by western standards) very low levels of drug use and little in the way of organised crime. There is also nowhere near the difference in economic outcomes for people in Iceland when compared to countries like the USA.

Note - Iceland does have a special armed police unit.

Yeah , I know that's why I showed the differences and didn't do any comparing.

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 03:18:53
@Ratty Said

I wouldn't be a LEO without a pistola for nothing in the world. LOL. You getting outgunned by the criminals is no bueno for sure.

We don't get a lot of criminal activity out here ,if and when we do, no one's home to get outgunned. If someone was home the criminals wouldn't have stopped .

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#12New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 03:52:14
"The two top reasons is the amount and type of training police have to get..."

Fair enough, that's your personal opinion. I agree that with better training comes (generally) better outcomes. BUT i would strongly dispute the fact that the top 2 reasons for Iceland's combination of high gun ownership and unarmed police (general duties) is the result of better police training. IMO the far more influential factors are socio-economic, demographic, geographic. It's down to their tight gun control, low drug rate, very little organised crime, a largely homogeneous society, social policies that provide a generally effective safety net etc etc etc.

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 05:09:59
@shadowen Said

"The two top reasons is the amount and type of training police have to get..."

Fair enough, that's your personal opinion. I agree that with better training comes (generally) better outcomes. BUT i would strongly dispute the fact that the top 2 reasons for Iceland's combination of high gun ownership and unarmed police (general duties) is the result of better police training. IMO the far more influential factors are socio-economic, demographic, geographic. It's down to their tight gun control, low drug rate, very little organised crime, a largely homogeneous society, social policies that provide a generally effective safety net etc etc etc.

Your theory may be correct . And I agree it's a combo of a lot of different things that makes something work or not . But I still say that it's the amount and type of training police have to get before they’re fully qualified and the mind set of the government . Here I will make a comparison, look at what happens when police get a more complete training as in countries like Iceland and then look what we get when police get 19 weeks of training on how to defend themselves.

As for the governments mind set, in America we have cops trained to defend themselves against us the citizens , in Iceland they have police trained in how to protect its citizens.

I started this thread thinking that we Americans could learn from Iceland's success , I'm not thinking copy cat them .
Hell, having cops trained to think more about the communities welfare then defending themselves from the community , would be a huge step in a better direction .

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#14New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 08:39:07
Caring about the community you serve and caring about your own safety and welfare (and that of your work colleagues) are not mutually exclusive.

The reality is though that, unlike the overwhelming vast majority of jobs, police go into work every day knowing that without warning their lives (and that of their colleagues) may be placed at risk. And yet it seems to me that people who have NEVER worked in such an environment expect police to put their lives at greater risk than it already is.

Reminds me a bit how some civvies try (and unfortunately often succeed) in determining, or at least influencing, ROE for combat troops without having any idea, or understanding, as to how the ROE that they advocate will effect those at the coal face.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#15New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 08:52:16
" look at what happens when police get a more complete training as in countries like Iceland"
Perhaps you might wish to compare (as a percentage) the number of police killed or injured on duty in Iceland with the USA.

Studies suggest that if you want to reduce the number of people being shot by police then gun control, and the origins of violent crime, need to be addressed. Simply improving aspects of police training and recruiting is unlikely to make a significant difference if you dont address why police are being placed in high risk situations so often.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs