The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

USA ethnic cleansing and genocide of First Nations.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...9 10 11 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 04:02:07
On September 8, 2000, the head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) formally apologized for the agency's participation in the "ethnic cleansing" of Western tribes. From the forced relocation and assimilation of the "sauvage" to the white man's way of life to the forced sterilization of Native Americans, the BIA set out to "destroy all things Indian." Through the exploration of the United States' Federal Indian policy, it is evident that this policy intended to "destroy, in whole or in part," the Native American population. The extreme disparity in the number of Native American people living within the United States' borders at the time Columbus arrived, approximately ten million compared to the approximate 2.4 million Indians and Eskimos alive in the United States today, is but one factor that illustrates the success of the government's plan of "Manifest Destiny."
https://academic.udayton.edu/race/06hrights/GeoRegions/NorthAmerica/UnitedStates02.htm
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#2New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 04:11:07
Not to mention Andrew Jackson's Indian Removal policy.

The history of Native Americans within the United States is a story of betrayal and destruction. From the beginning, Americans have been breaking their own promises to Indians and going back on court backed treaties. Furthermore, during the expansionist years of the 1850s, Americans actually attempted to exterminate Indians, justifying their actions by asserting that Indians were not fit to live with civilized society, despite their active attempt to do so in the 1830s. Of course, the main reason for their actions was that they wanted land! And now, Americans are telling Israel to stop doing the same thing! Talk about irony!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#3New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 04:13:53
"Genocide has two phases: one, destruction of the national pattern of the oppressed group: the other, the imposition of the national pattern of the oppressor." Raphael Lemkin (coined the term Genocide)

...Article II- In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial, or religious group, as such: (a) Killing members of the group, (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group, (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part, (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group, (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
USA- guilty
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 04:57:47
For your viewing and listening pleasure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD1MNHy2S2M&NR=1
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#5New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 07:08:33
So you finally decided to talk about the so-called genocide/ethnic cleansing. To start out with, I would like examples before I respond. It would help to know which events you're thinking of, and to see how accurate to history you're really being.
skittleyan On March 06, 2010

, Hong Kong
#6New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 07:12:51
this is a bad blood argument. many nations have dark pasts like this and why fight on it?
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#7New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 07:25:16
@crazylikeafox Said

So you finally decided to talk about the so-called genocide/ethnic cleansing. To start out with, I would like examples before I respond. It would help to know which events you're thinking of, and to see how accurate to history you're really being.

The americans of the past were using religion to try "cleanse the native americans" because of paganism, this sort of attitude was rife, until recently, in Australia, it was not only in America it happened, I am sure it happened in other countries
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 12:19:34
@skittleyan Said

this is a bad blood argument. many nations have dark pasts like this and why fight on it?

Because the US has never admitted to it's own genocide and ethnic cleansing yet thinks it has the moral superiority to condemn all others of it. That's why.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 12:26:12
@crazylikeafox Said

Your history has been whitewashed and cleansed. My kids history book had a section on ethnic cleaning and genocide. It seems to think that started with the Nazis. It touched on some historical cases and went to the Iraq and African attempts of late. Nary a word about the Native American holocaust. That was a short paragraph that read along the lines of this.
The United States and Indians did not always see eye to eye- but what came out of it is known as the Columbian Exchange.
Exchange?
Excuse me, I guess it was. An exchange of Native blood and lands, foods and resources for death camps, forced ethnic cleansing death marches and extinction.
What points do YOU want me to address?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 12:43:36
Our history in the UK is pretty honest about things. A lot of people assume the nazis are the only ones who did this because its more recent than say what the british did to the people of India or the Carribean or just about most places in the world when our empire ruled.

A lot of people arent aware that it is still happening today in parts of africa because it doesnt make "nice news".

It is taught in schools here, the terrible things we have done in the past. It is not whitewashed any more.

The UK are always apologising for our historial crimes, the most recent was last year for slavery. Some nice speeches were made, apologies were given, a monument was made to promise we wouldnt do it again, some people cried and we all ended up friends.

I think this is a healthy thing to do.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 12:53:59
That can be very healthy and healing ennit?
No such luck here. The arrogance that the US can do no wrong has always floored me.
SKUBER On July 20, 2009

Deleted

N/A,
#12New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 12:54:25
There was a conscious policy of taking tribes from ecological surroundings they were accustomed to,and relocating them in areas that were entirely different!
Since Native Americans lived so close to the land,this policy resulted in horrible hardships for them.
roBingoodfElLOW On January 06, 2010
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#13New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 13:01:31
@shinobinoz Said

On September 8, 2000, the head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) formally apologized for the agency's participation in the "ethnic cleansing" of Western tribes. From the forced relocation and assimilation of the "sauvage" to the white man's way of life to the forced sterilization of Native Americans, the BIA set out to "destroy all things Indian." Through the exploration of the United States' Federal Indian policy, it is evident that this policy intended to "destroy, in whole or in part," the Native American population. The extreme disparity in the number of Native American people living within the United States' borders at the time Columbus arrived, approximately ten million compared to the approximate 2.4 million Indians and Eskimos alive in the United States today, is but one factor that illustrates the success of the government's plan of "Manifest Destiny."
https://academic.udayton.edu/race/06hrights/GeoRegions/NorthAmerica/UnitedStates02.htm

I notice you mention that there used to be 10m in the times of colubus and there are only 2.5 now. Are you sure there were 10m? That seems an awful lot for those times, when there probably wernt that many people in the known world.
Also, it stands to reason there would be a lot less now, thats hardly suprising seeing as the spanish and english and dutch wiped horific amounts of them from the earth.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! May 30, 2009 @ 13:20:27
@RobinGoodfellow Said

I notice you mention that there used to be 10m in the times of colubus and there are only 2.5 now. Are you sure there were 10m? That seems an awful lot for those times, when there probably wernt that many people in the known world.
Also, it stands to reason there would be a lot less now, thats hardly suprising seeing as the spanish and english and dutch wiped horific amounts of them from the earth.

First Nations had towns pre-contact that were larger than any in Europe. There were stone and earthen structures built that dwarft Egyptian pyramids. Trade routes ran from South America to the Artic and east to west coasts. The USA only completed what the spanish, english, & dutch started.
Our ancestors warned of "whites" due to their contact with the Vikings and others.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...9 10 11 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs