News & Current Events

UK scrambles to keep 'dozen eggs' in EU battle

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 29, 2010 @ 02:25:05
UK officials say they will defend food producers' right to label groceries by number, amid fears that the EU may consign "a dozen" eggs to history.

Efforts to standardise food labels across the 27-nation EU have gained momentum with new draft legislation going through the European Parliament.

MEPs backed labels indicating weight or volume, but rejected labels that just show the number of items in a pack.

"We know what customers want. They want to buy eggs by the dozen and they should be allowed to - a point I shall be making clear to our partners in Europe," said UK Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10432128.stm

Seriously? What a f***ing complete waste of money!
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 29, 2010 @ 02:28:59
Definately...

...I don't even like eggs.

Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 29, 2010 @ 02:30:52
@davii Said

Definately...

...I don't even like eggs.

then dont buy them then
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#4New Post! Jun 29, 2010 @ 02:36:50
eggs come broken down by size here.
a dozen small.
a dozen large.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 06, 2010 @ 06:55:24
@Willi Said

eggs come broken down by size here.
a dozen small.
a dozen large.

Same here, Willi. Personally, I couldn't care less what quantity they come in. If Tesco sell eggs in multiples of ten, then that's cool by me.

We have had these kinds of arguments with Europe before and it is such a waste of time.

There was an incident, about ten years ago, where a greengrocer in Sunderland, refused to adopt the metric system to the weighing of bananas. Now, the rule was, that it is ok to display the weight of bananas (or any other produce, come to that) in imperial weights (pounds and ounces, etc), as long as the metric equivalent was also displayed. Seems reasonable to me.

Up jumps Mr Greengrocer, stating that he simply wasn't going to comply.... it was his right to weigh his bananas in whatever way he wished... he knows what his customers want... "I'm not going to be dictated to by Brussels..."

The usual "Little Englander" attitude.

He was told he had to comply or face prosecution... he was visited by officials who attempted to explain the law to him. All to no avail. He had, by then, been visited by the local press who turned the issue into a cause celebre and it even made its' way into the more jingoistic national dailies who trumpeted the issue as a matter of British independence from Europe.... All over a couple of pounds... er, sorry, kilo, of bananas..!!

He refused to conform, was prosecuted and got a fine and a criminal record for his troubles. And in the end, he was told that if he still refused to conform to the law, then the next prosecution would land him in prison.

He conformed.

Personally, I have no problem with the metric system. It's not difficult to get into your head if you try and actually, it's easier than imperial. 1000 grams = a kilo. 100 pence = ?1 100 centimetres = a metre. Everything works in multiples of ten. It's so simple you could do it on your fingers.

The British currency used to work as 12 pennies to a shilling, and twenty shillings to a pound... Where was the logic in that..?

Sixteen ounces to a pound, and fourteen pounds to a stone.. Seriously.....Who came up with that system..?

And now, there is a big deal over eggs being sold by the dozen.... I see another cause celebre of the proportions of The Great Sunderland Bananas Fiasco coming.

The British...... what are we like...?

Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#6New Post! Jul 07, 2010 @ 00:37:45
@Jennifer1984 Said

Same here, Willi. Personally, I couldn't care less what quantity they come in. If Tesco sell eggs in multiples of ten, then that's cool by me.

aaaagreed
now if they demand the chicken lay em 10 at a time, that's different

Quote:

Sixteen ounces to a pound, and fourteen pounds to a stone.. Seriously.....Who came up with that system..?

was it based on weight of a king size crap or something like that?
Eastender On August 13, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, Falkland Islands (Islas Malv
#7New Post! Jul 07, 2010 @ 00:40:30
Why dont they just put 'A Dozen Eggs' on the packet and put the weight on the bottom? Easy innit?

Ok, any more questions?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#8New Post! Jul 07, 2010 @ 00:40:38
@Jennifer1984 Said

The British...... what are we like...?

which ones

how do you make a witch itch?

take away the w
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#9New Post! Jul 07, 2010 @ 00:42:28
@Eastender Said

Why dont they just put 'A Dozen Eggs' on the packet and put the weight on the bottom? Easy innit?

Ok, any more questions?

howbout buy 10, get 2 free
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 08, 2010 @ 05:58:20
@Willi Said

howbout buy 10, get 2 free

That's far too sensible, Willi. It'll never happen.

Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Jul 08, 2010 @ 06:03:38
@Jennifer1984 Said

That's far too sensible, Willi. It'll never happen.

12 is a strange number.
who made up a "dozen"?
a bakers dozen is 13?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs