UK Government taking action against Legal Highs

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:55:18
@SparklyKatie Said

They should have a seperate classification for stuff like this to guage how harmful (or not) it is, banning it outright just pushes it underground.

As for the deaths, yeah they were 'linked to Mephedrone but the two lads that died had been drinking lots of vodka and had taken Methadone (the Heroin substitute) too. I'm no doctor but I'd bet the vodka and Methadone had more to do with their deaths than the Mephadrone.

Also banning it will only serve to bring more 'legal highs' into the forefront.

https://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Chinese-Chemical-Factories-Are-Planning-To-Outsmart-UK-Authorities-If-Mephedrone-Is-Banned/Article/201003415586448?f=rss

It's a never ending battle where banning something doesn't work. IMO.

Yeah I think as soon as the media jumped onto the story of the lads' deaths the Government were almost forced to do something about it. I agree that there was probably a bit more to their deaths than just the Mcat, but I can see why the Government would be worried about its long term effects, simply because we don't know what they are as of yet.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:55:42
@El_Tino Said

People get addicted to it, that doesn't mean it gets them high.

Large enough doses can get you high.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#18New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:56:57
@SparklyKatie Said

Large enough doses can get you high.

Well seems odd then that they would prescribe it at "higher doses" to "block the euphoric effects of heroine".

London, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:57:07
@ThePainefulTruth Said

What do you mean easy to get it over the Internet? Set up a meet or something? Of course they can combat that the same way they enforce other law violations on the Internet--decoys etc. There are legal, non-intrusive ways.

Because it's legal you can buy it like you can anything else. No shady dealers or meetup points, it gets delivered to you through the post.

The Government want to try and stop this by cutting off the dealers from China and other places where they export the stuff into the UK. I have noticed that a lot of the websites that sold it have been shut down lately actually, so this could be the beginning of it.
\m//O_O\\m/

#20New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:57:40
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yeah I think as soon as the media jumped onto the story of the lads' deaths the Government were almost forced to do something about it. I agree that there was probably a bit more to their deaths than just the Mcat, but I can see why the Government would be worried about its long term effects, simply because we don't know what they are as of yet.

Yeah the ex government drugs advisor (who was sacked for not conforming to what the Government wanted) has said banning it would do more harm than good.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/mar/25/mephedrone-drugs-ban-nutt-acmd-crime
\m//O_O\\m/

#21New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:58:23
@El_Tino Said

Well seems odd then that they would prescribe it at "higher doses" to "block the euphoric effects of heroine".

Users seem to get around that.

https://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=164218
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#22New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:59:09
@sister_of_mercy Said

Because it's legal you can buy it like you can anything else. No shady dealers or meetup points, it gets delivered to you through the post.

You mean it's legal for children to buy?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#23New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:00:37
@El_Tino Said

No. Do you?

Not personal experience, but second hand info from a friend who had taken it. They may have been mistaken,too. That's why I was genuinely interested. My mom-in-law had previously been addicted to Demerol for migraines. She insisted that the pain completely reduced the narcotic effect but she acted high as a kite when she would get a shot. She would go into withdrawals and all that fun stuff when the shot wore off. She is now on methadone and they had to increase some other medication of hers and she now has to increase her methadone because it 'wasn't working' because of the other drug. The other drug wasn't a narcotic so I now wonder, why did they have to increase the dosage. Hmmm..

I totally don't expect you to answer that. I'm just thinking now.

London, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:00:42
@ThePainefulTruth Said

You mean it's legal for children to buy?

Yes. Because it's done online anyone can buy it. You don't need to put your age when ordering it so if those under 18 wanted to buy it then all they'd have to do is log onto the site and purchase it.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#25New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:01:15
banning drugs, is the most stupid idea ever.

it literally makes everything worse,

# it help to fuel the illegal drug trade, which funds other major illegal activity's, gangs etc

# it increases drug crime

# it reduces the amount of drugs available slightly, but unfortunately this isn't a good thing, as even though the amount of drug decreases, the demand stays the same, which leads to drugs being mixed with other substances that can cause potential harm.

and of course there are the arguments about, our freedom to do what we wish to our bodies, as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.

and there's also the argument that existing drugs such as alcohol and cigarettes cause more harm but remain legal.

there is no positive from banning drugs, the only solution is to regulate the industry, so that drugs remain pure and at the same time educate people, as a lot of deaths from taking drugs are merely the result from lack of knowledge, i.e someone on ecstasy drinking water to an extent that they "drown".
JorieJukebox On April 22, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#26New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:01:51
@El_Tino Said

It prevents heroine addicts from having withdrawals, but doesn't get you high.

Recreational users get high off it... I used to experiment a little when I was hanging with a different crowd. When I took it, it was like being on meth... but it also made me a raging b****. It had that effect on several people I know...

London, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:03:01
@SparklyKatie Said

Yeah the ex government drugs advisor (who was sacked for not conforming to what the Government wanted) has said banning it would do more harm than good.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/mar/25/mephedrone-drugs-ban-nutt-acmd-crime

I completely agree with Nutt's whole Class D idea. It makes sense to keep an eye on drugs that we do not completely know about in terms of long term effects, but just out-right banning it is only going to push people onto the harder stuff or find another legal drug that will inevitably be created due to the banning of Mcat to take its place.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#28New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:03:31
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yes. Because it's done online anyone can buy it. You don't need to put your age when ordering it so if those under 18 wanted to buy it then all they'd have to do is log onto the site and purchase it.

Well, correcting that would be the first (and only) step IMNTBHO. I'm assuming you have measures to prevent the purchase of alcohol and other such substances by children over the Net.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#29New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:03:54
@SparklyKatie Said

Users seem to get around that.

https://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=164218

That forum was about how to get high on other stuff while still using methadone. Not getting high from the methadone itself.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#30New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:05:46
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Well, correcting that would be the first (and only) step IMNTBHO. I'm assuming you have measures to prevent the purchase of alcohol and other such substances by children over the Net.

any site that I've be on, that sells things for over 18's, require a credit card, which in theory only 18+ old people should have
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs