U.S. "Constitution-Free Zone"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...13 14 15 · >>
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#1New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 18:23:54
Someone visiting my office just mentioned that we live in a "Constitution Free Zone" because we are within 100 miles of the border. I looked just to see if there was any truth to it and this is what I found:

Normally under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the American people are not generally subject to random and arbitrary stops and searches.
The border, however, has always been an exception. There, the longstanding view is that the normal rules do not apply. For example the authorities do not need a warrant or probable cause to conduct a “routine search.”
But what is “the border”? According to the government, it is a 100-mile wide strip that wraps around the “external boundary” of the United States.
As a result of this claimed authority, individuals who are far away from the border, American citizens traveling from one place in America to another, are being stopped and harassed in ways that our Constitution does not permit.

https://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liberty/fact-sheet-us-constitution-free-zone

I also saw a few scare blogs saying "This should be plastered all over the news but it's not AND it's been going on since 2008!!!!"

Maybe it's just my little brain malfunctioning but if it's been "going on" since 2008 and it's not all over the news already....maybe they're not overstepping their bounds as much as Chicken Little fears.

Thoughts?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 18:28:45
@someone_else_again Said

Someone visiting my office just mentioned that we live in a "Constitution Free Zone" because we are within 100 miles of the border. I looked just to see if there was any truth to it and this is what I found:

Normally under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the American people are not generally subject to random and arbitrary stops and searches.
The border, however, has always been an exception. There, the longstanding view is that the normal rules do not apply. For example the authorities do not need a warrant or probable cause to conduct a “routine search.”
But what is “the border”? According to the government, it is a 100-mile wide strip that wraps around the “external boundary” of the United States.
As a result of this claimed authority, individuals who are far away from the border, American citizens traveling from one place in America to another, are being stopped and harassed in ways that our Constitution does not permit.

https://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liberty/fact-sheet-us-constitution-free-zone

I also saw a few scare blogs saying "This should be plastered all over the news but it's not AND it's been going on since 2008!!!!"

Maybe it's just my little brain malfunctioning but if it's been "going on" since 2008 and it's not all over the news already....maybe they're not overstepping their bounds as much as Chicken Little fears.

Thoughts?

All of Florida is in this zone... which explains a lot....

Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#3New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 18:39:36
@chaski Said

All of Florida is in this zone... which explains a lot....

There are several entire states in that zone. I'm too geographically inept to name some of them but dang! Where's the outrage? Several states and hundreds of millions of American citizens have been having their Constitutional rights violated for six years now!

Won't somebody please think of the children?!?!?

I'm sorry. I have no idea where that came from.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 18:54:17
or these purposes, the ocean coasts aren't really considered within 100 miles of the border. No one in Sacramento is getting stopped by border agents.

It is madness though, absolutely. I've had to pass through border checkpoints returning home from skiing within my own state. I've toyed with the idea of intentionally being a passenger in the car and not having any ID on me just so I could take a case to court.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#5New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 18:57:09
@someone_else_again Said

There are several entire states in that zone. I'm too geographically inept to name some of them but dang! Where's the outrage? Several states and hundreds of millions of American citizens have been having their Constitutional rights violated for six years now!

Won't somebody please think of the children?!?!?

I'm sorry. I have no idea where that came from.

Actually no one has had their constitutional rights violated.

This situation does not give local or state authorities the right to execute searches without warrants or probable cause.

It also does not give most federal law enforcement the right to execute searches without warrants or probable cause.

The only areas involved must involve customs, immigration and/or border security.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#6New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 18:58:45
@jonnythan Said

or these purposes, the ocean coasts aren't really considered within 100 miles of the border. No one in Sacramento is getting stopped by border agents.

It is madness though, absolutely. I've had to pass through border checkpoints returning home from skiing within my own state. I've toyed with the idea of intentionally being a passenger in the car and not having any ID on me just so I could take a case to court.

Border checkpoints are one thing. The Chicken Little scenario that I was getting was "We live in a Constitution-Free zone, they can do whatever they want and I'm not being represented by the Constitution so I refuse to pay my taxes."

Yes, he seriously said that.

In regards to your idea, what do you think they would do if you didn't have ID? I've only crossed state borders where they check for produce and never had to identify myself.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#7New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 18:59:27
@chaski Said

This situation does not give local or state authorities the right to execute searches without warrants or probable cause.

It also does not give most federal law enforcement the right to execute searches without warrants or probable cause.

The only areas involved must involve customs, immigration and/or border security.

Surely you realize I'm being facetious.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:05:51
@chaski Said

Then how come I've been, on multiple occasions, stopped within my own state at a "border inspection checkpoint" and had my person and vehicle searched with no probable cause whatsoever by border security officials?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:06:37
@someone_else_again Said

Surely you realize I'm being facetious.

Oh. I didn't know you were joking.

I wasn't. This is absolute bulls***, and I've been on the receiving end of it. It outrages me to no end.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:07:50
@someone_else_again Said

Border checkpoints are one thing. The Chicken Little scenario that I was getting was "We live in a Constitution-Free zone, they can do whatever they want and I'm not being represented by the Constitution so I refuse to pay my taxes."

Yes, he seriously said that.

In regards to your idea, what do you think they would do if you didn't have ID? I've only crossed state borders where they check for produce and never had to identify myself.

This wasn't a border checkpoint. It's a "border checkpoint" many miles from any actual border. It's like 40 miles away from any border IIRC.

I would have been detained.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#11New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:20:38
@jonnythan Said

"border inspection checkpoint"

You just answered your own question.

...or within 100 miles of the border.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:44:02
@chaski Said

You just answered your own question.

...or within 100 miles of the border.

What are you talking about? I had to go through a "border inspection checkpoint" driving around in my own state without ever coming within 30 miles of any actual border. I was subject to searches without any sort of probable cause or warrant. I put the phrase in quotes because there is no border to speak of.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#13New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:44:31
@jonnythan Said

I've toyed with the idea of intentionally being a passenger in the car and not having any ID on me just so I could take a case to court.

I think you should do it.

Better yet, be the driver but have your driver's license in your back pack in the back seat or in the trunk of your car... somewhere just out of reach.... maybe even in the glove compartment...

If you get stopped, let us know how it went.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#14New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:46:48
@jonnythan Said

Oh. I didn't know you were joking.

I wasn't. This is absolute bulls***, and I've been on the receiving end of it. It outrages me to no end.

I was joking in that one post. The Chicken Little impression I got was that people who live in this "zone" could have their personal things checked at any time.

@jonnythan Said

This wasn't a border checkpoint. It's a "border checkpoint" many miles from any actual border. It's like 40 miles away from any border IIRC.

I find that intriguing. I was just looking at Washington State's checkpoints and it doesn't seem we have any other than the ones actually at the border. I also just realized I didn't put my link in my OP but it was to the ACLU site so it probably wouldn't even attempt to explain why they're there.

@jonnythan Said

I would have been detained.

For what?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#15New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:47:57
its really been going on since before 2008 though, right?
I mean they are not just blaming Obama for this right?

I remember having to deal with stuff like this when I lived in the southern part of the state. Well, by that I mean the sometimes random boarder patrol stops. Nothing traumatic or lawsuit worthy, mostly just amusing WTF moments.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...13 14 15 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs