U.S Airlines to finally make a profit after a decade of loses.,

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#1New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:04:36
"DALLAS ? After a decade of multibillion-dollar losses, U.S. airlines appear to be on course to prosper for years to come for a simple reason: They are flying less."

"Profit margins at big airlines are the highest in at least a decade, according to the government. The eight largest U.S. airlines are forecast to earn more than $5 billion this year and $5.6 billion in 2012."

"Fares in the U.S. have risen 14 percent from a year ago, according to travel consultant Bob Harrell. Flights are more crowded than they've been in decades. On domestic flights, fewer than one in five seats are empty. Space is even tighter over the summer and holidays. That's why it took a week to rebook all the travelers who were stranded by a snowstorm that hit the Northeast over Christmas weekend.

"Travelers also face fees these days for services that used to be part of the ticket price, such as checking luggage (usually $25 to $35 per bag) and rebooking on a different flight (usually $150 for a domestic flight, more when flying overseas)."

"From 2000 through 2009, U.S. airlines lost about $60 billion and eliminated 160,000 jobs, according to an industry trade group, the Air Transport Association."

"During that tumultuous decade, airlines were hit with a series of events beyond their control: two recessions; the Sept. 11 attacks; an avian flu outbreak that scared away many travelers, and rising fuel costs."

The industry was profitable in 2000, 2006 and 2007, when the economy was roaring. But those boom years masked the industry's underlying problems, including high costs and more seats than travelers demanded. During 2008 and 2009, airlines lost a combined $23 billion, but they were also attacking their problems, setting the stage for a comeback in 2010.

------- Though it should be noted that while airlines cut down the number of flights...that in turn increased demand which hiked up the fair prices. So, we're paying more than we were a decade ago.

They cut costs...but fees on everything...and even getting a glass of coke or a bag of peanuts on a flight now costs money. Its really a slap in the face at some points.

I wonder...if trains could make a comeback in the U.S. The airline industry stole the thunder from trains when they became too confident that airlines would not take off as a means of transportation. Now, we have a higher percentage of trains that transport goods more than people.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/25/us-airlines-make-money-ag_n_813646.html
Roger On January 27, 2011

Any,
#2New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:09:23
Trains are for poor people.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#3New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:13:05
@Roger Said

I rather travel in trains than airlines now. And who gives a *insert curse word here* whether you are poor or rich.

Everyone is poor and rich at the same time and at every second of their lives.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:13:52
@Roger Said

Trains are more expensive than plains for domestic flights here.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:14:54
Whenver I map out a train router, it is always the same price if not more than airfare to the exact same destination.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#6New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:16:56
The train industry learned a lot from the Airline industry. They are actively being competitive with other modes of travel.

Even bus fair from state to state is around the same price as an airline ticked. Maybe a $10 difference here and there.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#7New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:17:40
@boobagins Said

The train industry learned a lot from the Airline industry. They are actively being competitive with other modes of travel.

Even bus fair from state to state is around the same price as an airline ticked. Maybe a $10 difference here and there.

I'd be flying. At least you get there faster.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#8New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:52:17
@plebian_angel Said

I'd be flying. At least you get there faster.

It depends. Where you are flying is probably always faster than the train, but here on the Northeast corridor, the train is generally much faster than flying, especially when you factor in the drive to the airport, and the wait to check in. You can also use your laptop and cell phone on the train, so you can work or play while you travel.

The train also drops you right in the center of town. Airports are generally miles away. And the Acela is a pretty comfortable trip, even if it is expensive.

Now I wish that they'd get some decent food on the trains, what they serve now is microwaved s***.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#9New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:55:14
@boxerdc Said

It depends. Where you are flying is probably always faster than the train, but here on the Northeast corridor, the train is generally much faster than flying, especially when you factor in the drive to the airport, and the wait to check in. You can also use your laptop and cell phone on the train, so you can work or play while you travel.

The train also drops you right in the center of town. Airports are generally miles away. And the Acela is a pretty comfortable trip, even if it is expensive.

Now I wish that they'd get some decent food on the trains, what they serve now is microwaved s***.

Well the airport here is never busy except for Monday mornings so getting out isn't a problem at all. And it's on the edge of town.
Now it would be an issue as to where I'm flying to I guess.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#10New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:58:52
lol just checked National railway and it would cost ?45 for a 100 mile journey,you can get a flight to Spain from the UK for the same price..sometimes half that price
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#11New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 15:09:47
@boobagins Said
So, we're paying more than we were a decade ago.

Are you sure about that? The article doesn't seem to say that, and a quick search doesn't turn up any supporting evidence for this.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see some evidence of it.

@boobagins Said
even getting a glass of coke or a bag of peanuts on a flight now costs money.

I've never paid for a bag of peanuts of drink on a flight, and I fly a fair bit.

I just checked Delta, Southwest, and United. All offer complimentary beverages and Delta and Southwest offer complimentary snacks/peanuts on most flights.

@boobagins Said
I wonder...if trains could make a comeback in the U.S.

Check out how long it takes to go from New York to Chicago via train then get back to me on that one.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#12New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 15:15:38
I would opt for trains. I like to look at the scenery.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#13New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 15:31:11
Reminds me of a train story. Back in 1960 I was working in a woodworking plant. It was a two story building along side a railroad track. Every morning at about 7am a passenger train went by. I worked on the second floor then. We all would stand at the windows where we could look down into the sleeping compartments as the train went by. Very interesting.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#14New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 17:15:55
@Roger Said

Trains are cool...I'd rather see the countryside rather than clouds.
The CN trans con is the bomb, especially going through the Canadian Rockies...In a plane you miss that.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#15New Post! Jan 26, 2011 @ 17:19:09
@boxerdc Said

When I went to Orlando from Yemmasse,S.C., the food was great...the bar wasn't to half bad either...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs