Two Million March In London For Another Vote

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...8 9 10 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#31New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 12:55:20
@nooneinparticular Said

An unsuccessful effort is not the same as no effort.

No it isn't. But there is NO evidence that there was ANY effort...that's the point. Again she said "Argentina is lobbying ALL the South American nations to INSIST that if Britain attempts to woo them with trade deals, then sovereignty of the Falkland Islands MUST be put on the negotiationg table. Spain, which has influence in South America, is putting its weight behind this lobbying"

Again, there is simply no evidence that I'm aware of that validates her claim, that being that Argentina and Spain are lobbying ALL the South American countries. I'm not even aware of any evidence that they are even lobbying ANY of the South American countries. That said it is possible that down the track the other three countries that currently make up the Mercosur might bring up the Falklands. Maybe. But that's NOT what she said.

@nooneinparticular Said

Thus, if the lobbying was unsuccessful with Chile, in no way does that invalidate the claim that Argentina is lobbying the other South American countries over the Falklands.

No, but again, where is the EVIDENCE that Argentina are lobbying the other South American countries?

@nooneinparticular Said

If Argentina insists that the Falklands must return in order for negotiations to go forward and the UK insists that such a provision is a non-starter, then that's pretty much the end of negotiations right there. At that point, it's a matter of who blinks first.

Her comments treat it as a matter of fact that the UK will 'blink first' despite the FACT that the PM, The FCO and FS have all gone on record recently as saying that there is simply NO way the Falklands will be handed over to Argentina. It wouldn't matter what the terms of the trade deal were. To hand over the Falklands to Argentina would be political suicide, and it wouldn't even make any economic sense. As far as current trade with Argentina is concerned the South Americans already come out in front to the tune of over £100 million. It is no wonder that Macri is keen on furthering trade with the UK.

Note: the UK's largest South American trading partner is Brazil, which is about on a par with Qatar. UK trade with Brazil runs at a deficit of approx £320 million.

As an aside the largest trade deficit the UK has is with Germany. In 2018 the UK's trade deficit with Germany was £41 billion. Germany's trade surplus with the UK in 2018 was only slightly behind the US. But of course the Germans are unconcerned about future trade with the UK.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#32New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 13:19:13
@Jennifer1984 Said

Meanwhile.... the Germans are enjoying themselves making a mockery of Britain.

Considering that in 2018 Germany's trade surplus with the UK was second (and only just second) to the US, and sees them come out infront to the tune of £41 billion, I would suggest that not all Germans are "enjoying themselves making a mockery of Britain".
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 16:23:52
Oh, so they weren't laughing at us then...? So, what was that you saw...? Even when I bother to post the evidence you refuse to believe what's in front of your very eyes.

EU members have known for a long time they're going to take a hit from Brexit, but they're prepared to accept it.

You really haven't a clue what the EU means to Germans, have you..? Probably because your desert wasn't invaded by anybody during WWII. You were never defeated, as Britain wasn't. Which is the only thing we have in common.

Your lot had no idea of what had to be built out of the rubble.......... Ask Germans what it was like to have their country divided in two, with one part under communist occupation...their former capital city split into four zones, none of which were German. When German people were shot by Russians trying to get to freedom over a wall that symbolised oppression all around the world. When they had to rely on American food aid.... You have no idea why they feel so strongly about the EU that they built out of that darkness, and why they won't let British neo-nazis (with whom I'm sure you have sympathies) tear the whole thing down.

ahhh, s***. No, I'm not going to bother with you any further. Stick with your own god-fearing, gun loving, minority oppressing, racist, homophobic, pom hating desert.

You and the snakes. You deserve each other.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 16:28:15
Is This Bloke Shadeowen's Long Lost English Cousin..?

Ignore the ad at the start of the clip. This is pure Brexit genius.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#35New Post! Mar 30, 2019 @ 02:32:16
@Jennifer1984 Said

ahhh, s***. No, I'm not going to bother with you any further. Stick with your own god-fearing, gun loving, minority oppressing, racist, homophobic, pom hating desert.

I'm 'eagerly' awaiting the responses to my post on the "voting" thread that you said you would place on a remoaner website (actually, I'm not. I doubt you pasted it there, but even if you did the reactions are irrelevant to me as I already know the people who disagree with people like me think we are all evil and stupid).

Really, I just wanted to say you seem to have a lot of anger in you towards those who disagree with you, and you still seem not to have found one positive virtue in any of your political opponents so far as I can tell.

Do you honestly believe it is only ignorance or evil that makes people disagree with you? As I said in that other post, at the very least I am as educated as you, so that rules out ignorance. Not much left then is there?

Can you see any type of virtue in a political opponent like me, or do we have to be evil in your eyes?

I'll even get the ball rolling by pointing out why I think you are wrong, not evil.

I believe you genuinely want peace and I believe you genuinely care for the future of your child and for Europe generally. I also care for and want these things, just as I'm sure Shadow also does. Are you capable of seeing that?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#36New Post! Mar 30, 2019 @ 09:21:52
@Jennifer1984 Said

Oh, so they weren't laughing at us then...? So, what was that you saw...?

I saw a German laughing at the UK...what I didnt see was GERMANY laughing at the UK. There is actually a difference.

@Jennifer1984 Said
Even when I bother to post the evidence you refuse to believe what's in front of your very eyes.

Evidence of bloody what? I have never said NO German found amusement in the UK's Brexit mess. How about some evidence re the UK set to sell out the Falkland Islanders? How about some evidence of 2 million people marching? How about that evidence.

@Jennifer1984 Said

Stick with your own god-fearing, gun loving, minority oppressing, racist, homophobic, pom hating desert.

You are a walking left wing cliche. When challenged you simply resort to pathetic name calling based on identity politics. You think that giving someone who doesnt agree with you a label makes up for not being able to back up what you say with facts and rational thought. Nice one.

By the way, I find it amusing (but wholly predictable) that you call me racist and yet it is you who is constantly attacking my country and her inhabitants etc etc etc

It's also interesting that the more you are caught out the more abusive you get. Anyway, tell us again how 2 million marched
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#37New Post! Mar 31, 2019 @ 05:03:00
@shadowen Said

No it isn't. But there is NO evidence that there was ANY effort...that's the point. Again she said "Argentina is lobbying ALL the South American nations to INSIST that if Britain attempts to woo them with trade deals, then sovereignty of the Falkland Islands MUST be put on the negotiationg table. Spain, which has influence in South America, is putting its weight behind this lobbying"

Again, there is simply no evidence that I'm aware of that validates her claim, that being that Argentina and Spain are lobbying ALL the South American countries. I'm not even aware of any evidence that they are even lobbying ANY of the South American countries. That said it is possible that down the track the other three countries that currently make up the Mercosur might bring up the Falklands. Maybe. But that's NOT what she said.

No, but again, where is the EVIDENCE that Argentina are lobbying the other South American countries?

I have also not seen any evidence, though I haven't really been looking. The only point I was making though was that to call it a lie is a bit of an overstatement. To say that you have seen no evidence is one thing, to call the person making a claim a liar is quite another.

Quote:

Her comments treat it as a matter of fact that the UK will 'blink first' despite the FACT that the PM, The FCO and FS have all gone on record recently as saying that there is simply NO way the Falklands will be handed over to Argentina. It wouldn't matter what the terms of the trade deal were. To hand over the Falklands to Argentina would be political suicide, and it wouldn't even make any economic sense. As far as current trade with Argentina is concerned the South Americans already come out in front to the tune of over £100 million. It is no wonder that Macri is keen on furthering trade with the UK.

The thing about trade is that it makes it easier for both parties, to a degree. With WTO rules in place, there is a decent chance that imports from South America will slow, for a variety of reasons. On the producers side, that typically means less money. On the consumer side, it typically means higher prices and/or less supply. Argentina can probably survive with less money. Can the UK survive with less imports at higher prices? Well, that's just Argentina right? No that's going to be the case for the vast majority of trade deals the UK has until they successfully renegotiate, a process that can take years in and of itself.

The thing about negotiation is that whoever has the thing they need has an advantage over the one who doesn't. Argentina doesn't necessarily need the UK's money. Does the UK need Argentina's imports? You might say, no they can just get it from somewhere else, but suppose that some other countries decide to play hardball as well. How many, and just as importantly which, trade deals can the UK afford to not renew and still stay afloat? The thing about saying 'screw you, we'll go somewhere else' is that eventually you run out of places to go, and as your options decrease, the one's left to negotiate gain greater and greater advantage since you effectively cut their competition from your own market.

Quote:

Note: the UK's largest South American trading partner is Brazil, which is about on a par with Qatar. UK trade with Brazil runs at a deficit of approx £320 million.

As an aside the largest trade deficit the UK has is with Germany. In 2018 the UK's trade deficit with Germany was £41 billion. Germany's trade surplus with the UK in 2018 was only slightly behind the US. But of course the Germans are unconcerned about future trade with the UK.

I'm sure the Germans would prefer that everything remained the same, but the Brexit vote shot any chance of that happening straight down the toilet so...
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 08:54:56
The likelihood of a trade deal with the EU....... if Brexit goes ahead, which is looking less secure by the day. An indicative vote in Parliament last night only defeated a motion for a second referendum by 12 votes. The gap is closing...... is looking less and less likely if we crash out with no deal.

The misunderstanding that many have in the current discussion is that the "deal" that might now be put forward for a FOURTH time (having been defeated three times already by record margins) is NOT a trade deal.

The "deal" is merely the Withdrawal Agreement (WA). This is the document that will settle the UK's divorce bill from the EU, and make temporary arrangements over things like the Irish Border while other negotiations take place and could take a number of years.

Currently, UK will have to pay £39 billion to settle outstanding legal liabilities. The EU have agreed to keep Northern Ireland in the Customs Union (The Backstop) pending the outcome of the trade negotiations that would follow if the WA is agreed.

Parliament will not agree to the backstop and that is what is at the root of the problem.

Unfortunately, with no WA (or any alternative acceptable to the EU), Britain will crash out of the EU on a "No Deal" situation. If the WA is not signed by Britain then no trade negotiations will take place with the EU as a whole and Britain would become a "Third Nation" subject to EU constraints on the 27 remaining members as to what individual member states could and couldn't agree with Britain.

In effect, we lose all trade with those 27 member countries. 500 million customers just wiped off the balance sheet.

The trouble with Shadey.... apart from being thicker than a navvies sandwich.... is that he thinks the WA is a trade deal. It isn't. And without it, we're not going to get one.

As for other nations, Japan is already having doubts about whether it can trade with Britain. They are quite concerned at our unwillingness to deal with the EU with respect and honour. The Japanese, for all their hard bargaining at the table, don't like people who threaten to renege on commitments they have already put their signature to. Other countries are also expressing concerns.

As for Argentina.... they are keeping quiet at this time. Spain less so.

Theresa May Backs Down Over Gibraltar

The Spanish leader, Pedro Sánchez, reacted immediately, claiming the UK would now have to open talks on “joint sovereignty” of Gibraltar, over which Spain has had a claim since the military dictatorship of Francisco Franco.

The Spaniards long term aim is to wrest Gibraltar away from British ownership. They'll do it one step at a time if they have to, but they're beginning the process already.

Shadey is of the opinion that Britain will never give up the Falklands and Gibraltar. He doesn't know British politics and politicians that well. The Conservatives would sell both out in a heartbeat if they thought it would get them something they wanted. As it is, in the end it's likely both will be forced upon them by weight of political pressure. Labour would do the same, only on ideological grounds. Both would find a way to blame the other party.

This is the sort of political cartooning we get here, that sums up the blame game tactics of the Tories. Trust me, Labour are just as bad....

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#39New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 15:10:07
@Jennifer1984 Said

he thinks the WA is a trade deal.

Really. And where have I said that? Surely you wouldn't say yet another thing without any evidence?

@Jennifer1984 Said

Shadey is of the opinion that Britain will never give up the Falklands and Gibraltar. He doesn't know British politics and politicians that well. The Conservatives would sell both out in a heartbeat if they thought it would get them something they wanted.

The same Tories who went to war over the Falklands. And of course the UK (NOT Britain) will sell out the Falklands. Afterall Argentina is the UK's 69th biggest export market!

Anyway, your thread title is "Two Million March In London For Another Vote". So tell us again how 2 million marched!!!

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#40New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 15:16:23
"Amid the growing outcry...the prime minister, insisted that nothing had changed over the UK’s territorial claim to Gibraltar, as she visited Brussels on Saturday night for meetings with EU officials, including European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker.

May said: “The UK’s position on the sovereignty of Gibraltar has never changed and will not change.

“I’m proud Gibraltar is British and I will always stand by Gibraltar. The UK’s position on Gibraltar has not changed and will not change"

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#41New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 15:26:01
Franco's best efforts to bully the UK over Gibraltar failed and he exerted far more pressure than modern day Spain via the EU.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#42New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 15:27:48
Note:
- Spain ceded Gibraltar to the U.K. “in PERPETUITY” in 1713.
- In 2002, the residents of Gibraltar held a vote on Spain’s proposal for joint sovereignty...it was rejected by 17,900 to 187.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#43New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 15:32:17
@Jennifer1984 Said

...The Conservatives would sell both out in a heartbeat if they thought it would get them something they wanted. As it is, in the end it's likely both will be forced upon them by weight of political pressure. Labour would do the same, only on ideological grounds.

As always you offer ZERO evidence to back up your assertions. I say the UK (NOT Britain) will not give up either territory. You say they will. Well IF Brexit ever happens we shall see who is right won't we.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#44New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 19:47:32
Have to say that I'm not surprised that someone who believes that 2 million people were occupying 156,250 square metres also believes that the Conservatives will sell both out the peoples of Gibraltar and the Falklands in a heartbeat.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#45New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 19:54:44
@Jennifer1984 Said

Now, Bob's offensive, bigoted, insulting and frankly disgraceful language in his earlier messages is nothing short of attempted bullying. But we don't lie down to bullies in this country.

@Jennifer1984 Said

The EU is protecting itself from the rise in fascism

@Jennifer1984 Said
you're just a hard line extremist yourself.

@Jennifer1984 Said
You have some pathological hatred of the EU....

@Jennifer1984 Said
But of course, from 12'000 miles away and your own personal hate-Britain, anti-Europe agenda, you know it all. You know it all.

@Jennifer1984 Said
We're on the brink of the cliff now and I think that pleases you. That's where your real agenda is.

@Jennifer1984 Said
I already think you're a deluded idiot

@Jennifer1984 Said

Do your own research you lazy bastard. I'm fed up with bending over backwards to just be f***ed about by you.

@Jennifer1984 Said
You're never going to accept anything and if I did what you wanted you'd only deny it anyway.

@Jennifer1984 Said

That might be how things work in your spider and snake infested desert[...] You'll never accept anything that doesn't sit comfortably with your anti-pom hate agenda[...]

@Jennifer1984 Said
If I told you the sun comes up in the east you'd find some petty little niggling way of saying it isn't true.

@Jennifer1984 Said

The trouble with Shadey.... apart from being thicker than a navvies sandwich....

@Jennifer1984 Said

@Jennifer1984 Said

@Jennifer1984 Said

It isn't about the future... it isn't about democracy... it's about the Brexiters fundamentalist need to spite Europe.

@Jennifer1984 Said
The hatred of the French and Germans is so deeply ingrained in the baby boomer generation - who overwhelmingly delivered the referendum result - that it's become a form of pathology.

@Jennifer1984 Said

Oh, an Australian..... that explains everything. There is no group of people anywhere else on Earth who would be more happy to see Britain go to hell in a handbasket than Australians.

@Jennifer1984 Said
Simply put, there are no competent people to handle Brexit.

@Jennifer1984 Said
The only reason Parliament has a say is because one woman was brave enough to stand up to the Government [...] she has suffered hate mail, death threats, [...]
Do you approve of that kind of democracy, Bob...?

@Jennifer1984 Said
Pro-Remain MP Jo Cox was stabbed repeatedly and shot by a man who attacked her outside her constitutency office shouting "Britain First" and other pro-Brexit slogans[...]
Do you approve of that kind of democracy, Bob...?

@Jennifer1984 Said
[...] I know for certain you haven't got a bloody clue of what you're talking about.

@Jennifer1984 Said

one of my online friends, has been assaulted in the street for simply wearing a tee shirt [...] She was beaten and kicked by two men and called a "Collaborator".
I doubt very much that you'll condemn that. Got what she deserved, did she..?

@Jennifer1984 Said
Jo Cox, was repeatedly stabbed and then shot at point blank range for voting Remain in the House of Commons.

Is that what you'd call normal behaviour, Bob..?

@Jennifer1984 Said
She was beaten and kicked by two men and called a "Collaborator".
I doubt very much that you'll condemn that. Got what she deserved, did she..?

@Jennifer1984 Said
Just exactly what problem do YOU have with the European Union that makes you so vehement and obsessive in your hatred of them..?

@Jennifer1984 Said

Perhaps Bob is displaying the trait I describe in my analogy. He wants to see me (as a person and my point of view) beaten, defeated and humiliated
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs