News & Current Events

Tuition Fee Vote

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:47:07
Does anyone know if it's really as bad at Parliament Square as Twitter is making it sound? Sounds like the bloody apocalypse.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:48:26
Keep hearing reports of people covered in blood etc on twitter but not seen any of that on the news

The charge of horses looked awful on the news though.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:05:46
Student demonstrators are clashing with police in Westminster as MPs debate plans to raise tuition fees in England to ?9,000 a year.

Scotland Yard says three police officers have been hurt and one has a serious neck injury.

Protesters who had forced their way into Parliament Square pressed against police lines and threw missiles.

Riot police are lined up behind metal barriers surrounding the Houses of Parliament.

The London Ambulance Service says 19 people have been treated for injuries - six have been taken to hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11954333

Why do they get violent? It can't be helping public opinion of them.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#34New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:11:37
@SparklyKatie Said

Student demonstrators are clashing with police in Westminster as MPs debate plans to raise tuition fees in England to ?9,000 a year.

Scotland Yard says three police officers have been hurt and one has a serious neck injury.

Protesters who had forced their way into Parliament Square pressed against police lines and threw missiles.

Riot police are lined up behind metal barriers surrounding the Houses of Parliament.

The London Ambulance Service says 19 people have been treated for injuries - six have been taken to hospital.

Not sure. It's weird that there has been so much violence in London as there has been very little in any of the other protests. Watching BBC news it looks as if the London Police have been over-zealous and a little provocative though.

London, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:14:03
@SparklyKatie Said

Because the police are being violent towards them and kettling them for long periods of time, it does make one quite angry. I don't condone the violence at all but I don't think today is an entirely one sided thing.
\m//O_O\\m/

#36New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:16:23
@jmo Said

Not sure. It's weird that there has been so much violence in London as there has been very little in any of the other protests. Watching BBC news it looks as if the London Police have been over-zealous and a little provocative though.

@sister_of_mercy Said

Because the police are being violent towards them and kettling them for long periods of time, it does make one quite angry. I don't condone the violence at all but I don't think today is an entirely one sided thing.

Yeah quite possibly, the Met are generally heavy handed from what I've seen.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#37New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:30:40
The protests I've been on have been much smaller scale but the Police have agreed with our protests and talked about the cuts they are facing.

Someone from the Russell Group on BBC news at the moment talking about the merits of the tuition fee rise, which ofcourse she is in favour of because they will be the ones who can afford to charge the ridiculously high amounts.

I think only one Russell Group uni (Edinburgh) is actually opposed to this.

London, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:34:00
@jmo Said

The protests I've been on have been much smaller scale but the Police have agreed with our protests and talked about the cuts they are facing.

Someone from the Russell Group on BBC news at the moment talking about the merits of the tuition fee rise, which ofcourse she is in favour of because they will be the ones who can afford to charge the ridiculously high amounts.

I think only one Russell Group uni (Edinburgh) is actually opposed to this.

Bristol is too. Or at least students there are (think some of them went into occupation).
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#39New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:35:48
@sister_of_mercy Said

Bristol is too. Or at least students there are (think some of them went into occupation).

Think the chancellor supports the Government plans.

Weird how the more prestigious uni's are in favour of this eh?

London, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:39:54
@jmo Said

Think the chancellor supports the Government plans.

Weird how the more prestigious uni's are in favour of this eh?

Yeah, funny that.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#41New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:42:35
It passed by 21 votes.

London, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:46:11

Low majority too. If only there hadn't been the option to abstain.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#43New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:58:14
So what now for the student massive??

London, United Kingdom
#44New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 18:09:55
@Wellard Said

So what now for the student massive??

I don't think this is the end for the protests. I don't know what will happen though, what is there to do really?
\m//O_O\\m/

#45New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 18:12:26
@sister_of_mercy Said

I don't think this is the end for the protests. I don't know what will happen though, what is there to do really?

I propose that everyone who has to pay the ?9,000 per year fee finishes uni then purposefully stays unemployed. Or at least get a job that pays less than ?21,000.

Play them at their own game.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs