Tuition Fee Vote

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Dec 07, 2010 @ 11:47:58
David Davis the high ranking Tory MP has committed himself to voting against the Tuition Fee rise. I suspect he is the only Tory who intends to do it but good on him.

I seriously disagree with most of David Davis' politics (re-introducing the Death Penalty, his support for the homophobic section 28 and his scepticism on climate change etc) but good to see that he rejects the notion of raising tuition fees.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Dec 07, 2010 @ 13:25:36
I will be entirely frank about this.

There is an all time high unemployment level amongst graduates. If they make higher education less obtainable to the lower income families these statistics will go down. If a family already has cash and connections the chances of a graduate staying out of work are slimmer.

The Government will continue to plough cash into ridiculous occupational schemes in order to lower unemployment.

The UK has no blue collar work any more, we produce nothing.

I dont get why cut people down on academic studies in a country that produces nothing. Surely the study of laungages, public services and business should be priority for the next generation.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Dec 07, 2010 @ 13:27:47
Just to add..

this is a spin on statistics and will do nothing for the economy.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#19New Post! Dec 07, 2010 @ 13:37:48
The weird thing is under the Government's own economic plans the amount of graduates year on year has to be sustained at the current levels but that only works if there is enough graduate employment, which there isn't. The government are making cuts to the public sector so employment opportunities are reducing. The idea is that the private sector will employ more graduates to make up for this, but they won't as there is no incentive for them to do so until the economy improves.

It's a mess and doesn't even save the government that much money. It's papering over the cracks by making the books look better than they actually are. In my opinion.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Dec 07, 2010 @ 13:41:32
@jmo Said

The weird thing is under the Government's own economic plans the amount of graduates year on year has to be sustained at the current levels but that only works if there is enough graduate employment, which there isn't. The government are making cuts to the public sector so employment opportunities are reducing. The idea is that the private sector will employ more graduates to make up for this, but they won't as there is no incentive for them to do so until the economy improves.

It's a mess and doesn't even save the government that much money. It's papering over the cracks by making the books look better than they actually are. In my opinion.

Exactly, robbing peter to pay paul, there is no solution. Surely they should be encouraging people to study medicine, nursing, international trade, languages, engineering, environmental studies, politics, arts and sciences. If we have nothing to sell we should at least be clever.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Dec 07, 2010 @ 13:41:55
@SparklyKatie Said
if you're a member of the EU you pay less. So our education budget is helping European students but not its own?

No; if you are from an EU member-state you pay less than students from non-EU states at UK universities. UK and EU students generally pay the same fees as far as I know, though it's up to individual universities.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#22New Post! Dec 07, 2010 @ 15:27:59
I sent an e-mail with regards to the tuition fees vote to my MP, this was his reply:

"Dear Mr Charlton,

Thank you very much for your email about tuition fees in England. I will be voting against the changes when they are debated in Parliament.

As you are obviously aware the proposal to remove the cap on tuition fees will not apply to Scotland but it does have implications for Scottish students who might be deterred from studying in England because of the change.

I don't believe that the Government's plans are necessary, fair, or good for higher education. The overall cut in budgets of Government departments is 11% which is severe enough but the cut in the higher education budget is 80% with students facing a dramatic rise in fees to meet the shortfall.

This threatens to deter students from families on low income from going to university at all let alone those that charge the highest fees but middle income graduates will be if anything hardest hit since there will be no financial assistance in their case.

I believe that both humanities and sciences courses should receive proper public funding and that it is a retrograde step to withdraw public support for teaching humanities subjects.

Admissions should reflect merit and hard work but such high fees will deter people who would otherwise have benefitted from higher education. That's not fair and is in the interests of neither universities themselves who naturally want the best students regardless of their financial circumstances nor the wider economy."
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#23New Post! Dec 08, 2010 @ 16:48:43
Marched today in an NUS/EUSA backed march which was good. About twice the amount of people as last week, though it was quieter and quicker. There were a lot less police this week as well, apparently because we were so well behaved last week they said there was no need for excessive numbers of officers. Once again the protest was peaceful and without incident.

Also quite excitingly awesome band Frightened Rabbit have expressed their support over twitter!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#24New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 12:40:12
Currently they are debating it in parliament with the vote coming after the debate.

Vince Cable is talking a lot of rubbish in my opinion, currently discussing how the 80% cuts to University funding is justified because they didn't want to make those cuts to other educational institutions, however he completely side-stepped the issue and question of the fact the cuts could have come from something completely different to education or the welfare state.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#25New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 12:48:31
Vince Cable just admitted that he wanted education to be privately funded and not publicly funded.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 12:57:38
I used to really respect Cable. Shame.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#27New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 12:59:23
I think I've lost respect for all of them at the moment. They can't seem to hold a decent debate without cheering and jeering.

Nick Clegg and David Cameron have just walked out of the chamber after the government line was peddled. They haven't even bothered to listen to the opposition debate.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#28New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 13:20:33
John Denham is doing really well attacking the university funding changes as a whole. Instead of just bickering about it he is explaining it in plain terms as to why the changes are unfair.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#29New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:21:32
Two Lib Dem MPs have resigned over the fees debate apparently, one of whom has to as he is a PPS. Nice to see some Lib Dems still have integrity.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#30New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:23:10
Great to see Mike Crockart vote against it and resign. I e-mailed him mistakingly thinking I was in his constituency last week
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs