Trying to learn Russian

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 05:15:17
I've learned a few phrases (from the internet and from a Ukrainian co-worker) and I'm really liking the language. My co-worker says my voice/accent is perfect for Russian and I'll go far with some practice.

Anyone else know or in the process of learning Russian?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 05:33:24
@Kristy69 Said

I've learned a few phrases (from the internet and from a Ukrainian co-worker) and I'm really liking the language. My co-worker says my voice/accent is perfect for Russian and I'll go far with some practice.

I started teaching myself Russian a couple years ago because I was fascinated with the cryllic alphabet and really enjoyed it a lot for a while. I didn't get terribly far before trailing off and stopping all together. I barely remember anything (I only was at it for a couple months) but I can still read things written in Russian with some effort. I actually have been meaning to get back into it, and probably will, it's just a matter of starting up again and sticking to it.
Carly's Mommy

#3New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 05:34:25
@Eaglebauer Said

I started teaching myself Russian a couple years ago because I was fascinated with the cryllic alphabet and really enjoyed it a lot for a while. I didn't get terribly far before trailing off and stopping all together. I barely remember anything (I only was at it for a couple months) but I can still read things written in Russian with some effort. I actually have been meaning to get back into it, and probably will, it's just a matter of starting up again and sticking to it.

Is it really hard to learn? I mean, speaking is one thing, reading/writing is another.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 05:39:41
@Kristy69 Said

Is it really hard to learn? I mean, speaking is one thing, reading/writing is another.

Not incredibly...I got a book at Barnes & Noble called "Russian in ten minutes a day" to start, and in the beginning it goes through the alphabet letter by letter and shows you the proper pronunciation and words that begin with each letter. I'd make it a habit each day before I started working on learning new things to write out the alphabet by hand until I had it memorized completely. After that it's just a matter of associating the right sound with the right letter and sounding out words like you would learning to write English.

A lot of times I can read a word in Russian properly but have no idea what it means
Carly's Mommy

#5New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 06:26:03
@Eaglebauer Said

Not incredibly...I got a book at Barnes & Noble called "Russian in ten minutes a day" to start, and in the beginning it goes through the alphabet letter by letter and shows you the proper pronunciation and words that begin with each letter. I'd make it a habit each day before I started working on learning new things to write out the alphabet by hand until I had it memorized completely. After that it's just a matter of associating the right sound with the right letter and sounding out words like you would learning to write English.

A lot of times I can read a word in Russian properly but have no idea what it means

Thanks! I'll try to find it.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 06:27:49
@Kristy69 Said

Thanks! I'll try to find it.

It's a really great book and it's arranged in little lessons you can do in order, and within a couple days you have a small vocabulary and start learning simple sentences!

It's exciting! Let me know how you do.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#7New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 16:29:23
@Eaglebauer Said

That's me with Spanish!

I once read an entire page out loud, and my friend's neice who was in the room at the time, looked at me wide eyed, and as if to say "you've been lying to us all this time!" (about not speaking the language ) She couldn't understand how if I could read it, and be saying the words, how I could not know, or understand what I was saying; or not apply it to conversing with her.
cvchic13 On November 12, 2020
(s)AINT

Desolation Row, United States
#8New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 17:02:02
The only time I've ever actually looked at the Russian language was in grade school and i checked out a picture book that had things in Russian. It was interesting, to say the least.

i've heard it's kind of a hard language to learn.
wOrdcraZy On October 28, 2012

<3,
#9New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 19:15:28
@Kristy69 Said

get started with free lessons

https://www.russian-language-for-lovers.com/russian-lessons.html
pavel1963 On January 29, 2012

Romford, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 18:12:03
Working in the construction industry, I have picked up a few phrases. Cannot read or understand crylic though.

Spaseba= thank you
T govoritch pa russki=Do you speak russian
Dobri Ottra =good morning
Dobri Dayan = good day
Bolshoia sisski = big tits
Job Tjmei= mother F****R
Peteras=gay person

And a few more that are not really repeatable here. Obviously my spelling is as we English speakers would see it, not in acrilic.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 18:14:01
I know from singing in Russian that the vowels tend to be quite clipped compared to other languages, that's about it.
Corey On January 25, 2022

Sacramento, California
#12New Post! Feb 19, 2012 @ 09:55:59
The best way to learn a language is immersion. Just go to the country that speaks the language you want to learn. Next best is bring the country to you by getting a native speaker to move in with you. If the native speaker can also be your significant other (boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife or whatever), that's even better for learning the language. Second language skills can be important in your career, if you want to travel, and in getting an higher education. Also, while studying a foreign language you easily learn the culture and customs of the country.
Good luck in your studies.
Corey.
melaya On February 21, 2012

Bradford, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 20, 2012 @ 21:48:13
Hi, I was born in Latvia. I speak Latvian and Russian and now I try to know English. I live in England but I didn't have time to speak in English then I was working at factory. There was very noisy and people not speak with me. But now I lose my job and I will go in College to learn English.The spoken Russian is not difficult if you have a friends.
If you want to learn it you must do it!
Otpad On September 04, 2013

Lübertsy, Russia
#14New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 18:54:53
Hi guys! Go ahead, dont't hesitate to ask any questions on Russian. It's my native tongue and I'll be glad to respond.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#15New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 20:07:42
@sTreetAngeL Said

That's me with Spanish!

I once read an entire page out loud, and my friend's neice who was in the room at the time, looked at me wide eyed, and as if to say "you've been lying to us all this time!" (about not speaking the language ) She couldn't understand how if I could read it, and be saying the words, how I could not know, or understand what I was saying; or not apply it to conversing with her.

That is why it is actually better to learn conversation first, from another individual, rather than from a book. Your pronunciation will be better, and your ability to hear and understand (aural comprehension) will get a head-start. But, for those without a learning partner, the books and programs are the best alternative.

And, as with all languages, the easiest things to learn are the cuss-words, and the current slang phrases. They wind up being on the tip of your tongue, no matter what.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs