Mental Health

Toxic People

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#1New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 09:15:48
Is your family toxic or dysfunctional? I may have talked about this already. Sometimes I think my depression isn't a chemical imbalance. My parents always complain about me since I'm so different and they trigger my sadness. I shouldn't let them but I can't seem to help it. They can't seem to understand that I have anxiety. When I'm anxious, I talk a LOT. I think it got on my aunt and uncle's nerves yesterday. I really don't know what to do about it. There's a book called Toxic People. It's very interesting. I've gotten advice from lots of people saying that I should avoid negative people for my own well-being.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 09:16:55
Maybe you should get away from them. Sometimes people thrive on their own.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#3New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 09:24:01
I avoid them as much as possible. Since I'm alone, they try to control me a lot, especially since they give me money. They think they have the right to tell me what to do. I think it should be considered a gift and that I ought to be able to make my own decisions. Sometimes my dad will tell me to decide for myself about certain things and then gets angry if I don't make what he considers a good decision. He's putting my son through college so he tries to control him, too. I feel angry. My problems aren't all their fault but they don't make me feel any better about myself.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 09:39:07
Its a tricky position when family are supporting you financially.

I think we all get miffed when our kids do not make the decisions we would like them to make. Its very kind of your dad to put your son through college.

It sounds like i am all on their side doesn't it. I am trying to look at it from both sides here.

I am on my own too, sometimes i have to snarl a bit at my own family when they try to interfere in my own life and that of my children. I wont accept support and money from them because i need to be independent. But there are small things where for example i am growing all my own vegetables this year. My mother was quite excited about it and she bought loads of pots and plants and got her husband to fix an outdoor hosepipe to the house.

At first i was a bit angry about it because i wanted to do it all by myself and in her helping it was taking from my own independence.

When i look at the situation from the outside, she is just trying to help me. She is just being nice and wants me to succeed.

I think in my own case the problem is with me. I need to learn to accept help from people and realise it is not failure to accept support.

In your own case, you are a 41 year old mother and a grown up. Your parents probably do not see that. I know its a power struggle that you think would have been left behind in your teens, i know its infuriating that they leave you alone when you was married but suddenly see you as helpless now you are divorced.

Its a battle to stay on your own 2 feet sometimes. It wont always be like this. Your parents wont always be there.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#5New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 09:59:40
@treebee Said

Its a tricky position when family are supporting you financially.

I think we all get miffed when our kids do not make the decisions we would like them to make. Its very kind of your dad to put your son through college.

It sounds like i am all on their side doesn't it. I am trying to look at it from both sides here.

I am on my own too, sometimes i have to snarl a bit at my own family when they try to interfere in my own life and that of my children. I wont accept support and money from them because i need to be independent. But there are small things where for example i am growing all my own vegetables this year. My mother was quite excited about it and she bought loads of pots and plants and got her husband to fix an outdoor hosepipe to the house.

At first i was a bit angry about it because i wanted to do it all by myself and in her helping it was taking from my own independence.

When i look at the situation from the outside, she is just trying to help me. She is just being nice and wants me to succeed.

I think in my own case the problem is with me. I need to learn to accept help from people and realise it is not failure to accept support.

In your own case, you are a 41 year old mother and a grown up. Your parents probably do not see that. I know its a power struggle that you think would have been left behind in your teens, i know its infuriating that they leave you alone when you was married but suddenly see you as helpless now you are divorced.

Its a battle to stay on your own 2 feet sometimes. It wont always be like this. Your parents wont always be there.

Thanks for your input. I like hearing the truth. That's another thing. When I avoid my parents, I feel guilty because I don't want them to die with hard feelings between us. I worry about them dying anyway. I don't like being dependent but I don't make enough money to live on. I also fear abandonment. When my parents pass away, I don't want to have to depend on my brothers and their wives for help. I don't have close relationships with my sisters-in-law, to say the least. Sometimes I think dying would be easier than what I go through. I need their acceptance more than financial support. It seems like my dad helps my son and I financially because he's not good to us in other ways. Same with my mother. I guess they think they can buy our love. Money can't buy happiness, but I do appreciate their help.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 10:02:26
Do you have some close friends? Do you go to any clubs or anything?

Sometimes when a person just cannot be themselves around family they get a "chosen" family around them.

Its hard to trust people but giving a little of yourself to a bunch of close friends can be as rewarding as having a family.
DeepRed On March 07, 2010
Tripologist

Deleted

Michael Winner's basement, Uni
#7New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 10:03:43
@Mysteria Said

Thanks for your input. I like hearing the truth. That's another thing. When I avoid my parents, I feel guilty because I don't want them to die with hard feelings between us. I worry about them dying anyway. I don't like being dependent but I don't make enough money to live on. I also fear abandonment. When my parents pass away, I don't want to have to depend on my brothers and their wives for help. I don't have close relationships with my sisters-in-law, to say the least. Sometimes I think dying would be easier than what I go through. I need their acceptance more than financial support. It seems like my dad helps my son and I financially because he's not good to us in other ways. Same with my mother. I guess they think they can buy our love. Money can't buy happiness, but I do appreciate their help.

We all have moments of too much reflectiveness, i'm bi-polar and sometimes it threatens to comsume me, but what you have to remember is that there are many people that love you, and if you're not living for yourself at least love life for thier benefit. You may think that i won't know anything about this but i've been in dark places and have had terrible experiences with my parents but you've just got to learn to accept them.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#8New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 18:02:43
@treebee Said

Do you have some close friends? Do you go to any clubs or anything?

Sometimes when a person just cannot be themselves around family they get a "chosen" family around them.

Its hard to trust people but giving a little of yourself to a bunch of close friends can be as rewarding as having a family.

Yes, I have a few really good friends. They offer me lots of support.
SKUBER On July 20, 2009

Deleted

N/A,
#9New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 18:07:50
@treebee Said

Maybe you should get away from them. Sometimes people thrive on their own.

There was never a more dysfunctional family than mine,I did not begin to live until I cut all ties with them !
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs