AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#46New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 17:45:10
@Willi Said

how bout a salary cap?

How 'bout we cap your salary in whatever job it is you have.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#47New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 17:46:11
@Willi Said

the tax payer is their boss.
that's us.

teaching is a job the tribe needs.
is it worth more then other jobs?

you want the guy at the McDonalds drivethru teaching your kids?
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#48New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 18:04:22
@jonnythan Said

$10,000 is far less than minimum wage for a full-time job.

For a full-time job requiring advanced degrees, $45,000 is a terrible pittance.

@boxer Said

Christ on a cracker... the world is going to end

I agree with jonnythan.. My job only requires a bachelors degree, and I make quite a bit more than $45,000 a year. Teachers around here have to continue their educations, at their own expense, EVERY SINGLE YEAR.. If they want tenure, then need a masters degree, and if they want to move out of the classroom, they need a doctorates.

And a tenured teacher here starts at about 60,000. Totally not worth it for all the work.

I'm very aware that it is not very much money. That doesn't change the fact that someone making far less is not going to relate to the complaint.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#49New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 18:14:00
@someone_else_again Said

I'm very aware that it is not very much money. That doesn't change the fact that someone making far less is not going to relate to the complaint.

Do you have to further your education every year just to keep that $10k salary? At your own expense, and on your own time? Do you have to bring your work home every day, or do you leave work at work?
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#50New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 18:27:23
@boxer Said

Do you have to further your education every year just to keep that $10k salary? At your own expense, and on your own time? Do you have to bring your work home every day, or do you leave work at work?

I'm not sure you're getting what I'm saying.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#51New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 18:43:54
@someone_else_again Said

Does the teacher that complained to you about how much they make know you make less than 10K a year?
And I'm assuming you could do something to better a 10K annual wage, but don't.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#52New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 19:12:08
@floydgirrl Said

Does the teacher that complained to you about how much they make know you make less than 10K a year?
And I'm assuming you could do something to better a 10K annual wage, but don't.

It is very likely that the former teacher I was speaking to knew that my job was minimum wage.

And yes, if I wanted to spend the money to further my education, I could make more money.

What I'm saying, and I'm not understanding why it's not coming across clearly, is that the first thing such a person is going to think is "That's 5x more than I make and they're complaining?!?"

Yes, I know the reasons. That does not change the knee-jerk reaction...especially when it is presented as "I (teacher) need more" rather than "I deserve more."
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#53New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 19:23:51
@someone_else_again Said

It is very likely that the former teacher I was speaking to knew that my job was minimum wage.

And yes, if I wanted to spend the money to further my education, I could make more money.

What I'm saying, and I'm not understanding why it's not coming across clearly, is that the first thing such a person is going to think is "That's 5x more than I make and they're complaining?!?"

Yes, I know the reasons. That does not change the knee-jerk reaction...especially when it is presented as "I (teacher) need more" rather than "I deserve more."

In general I refrain from complaining about how much I make in front of other people. I think talking about wages with anyone but your significant other/spouse is unnecessary. Sometimes I don't feel that I get paid well enough, but most of the time I think it's fine. I keep that all to myself. The only people that know how much I make is my boss, his boss and HR.

In general, it's rude. It was rude for the teacher to bring it up, I don't care who they were talking to.

However, I do think teachers should get paid more than they do and I think they should get paid a hell of a lot more than minimum wage, which is what this thread is about. Not that you make less than teachers.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#54New Post! Oct 25, 2013 @ 19:37:18
@floydgirrl Said

In general I refrain from complaining about how much I make in front of other people. I think talking about wages with anyone but your significant other/spouse is unnecessary. Sometimes I don't feel that I get paid well enough, but most of the time I think it's fine. I keep that all to myself. The only people that know how much I make is my boss, his boss and HR.

In general, it's rude. It was rude for the teacher to bring it up, I don't care who they were talking to.

However, I do think teachers should get paid more than they do and I think they should get paid a hell of a lot more than minimum wage, which is what this thread is about. Not that you make less than teachers.

That, I can agree with. The only reason that I brought it up is because it is obviously a disconnect for those of us who don't make as much.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#55New Post! Oct 26, 2013 @ 00:07:33
@El_Tino Said

you want the guy at the McDonalds drivethru teaching your kids?

Hell we had a Alcott/Burger King Academy here in doodaa. That was what I was thinking. The kids want to grow up to do what?????
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#56New Post! Oct 26, 2013 @ 00:09:11
@boxer Said

That's an awesome idea!

Let's tell everyone who works for government that they'll have their salaries capped at a "reasonable" level no matter how hard they work or how much they produce.

It will be awesome. We'll end up with a government filled with people who are completely happy being average. And when serious problems arise, these people will say "don't look at me, I'm just doing my job".

This is just plain stupid Willi.

In Willie's defense I don't think he means all teachers everywhere- he is questioning the amount that was in some figure he found somewhere.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#57New Post! Oct 29, 2013 @ 16:38:11
@shinobinoz Said

Hell we had a Alcott/Burger King Academy here in doodaa. That was what I was thinking. The kids want to grow up to do what?????

Learn how to manage a restaurant?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#58New Post! Nov 05, 2013 @ 01:37:38
@shinobinoz Said

In Willie's defense I don't think he means all teachers everywhere- he is questioning the amount that was in some figure he found somewhere.

yep.
200k as a cap sounds reasonable.
my neice is a teacher.

raises?

you do the math.
5% raise for a new teacher making 35K =?
for a teacher making 200k = ?

young teachers need money too.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs