Tips for Cutting Calories and Fat

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#1New Post! Feb 27, 2005 @ 03:01:55
Here are the easy to follow or useful tips to lose weights or to prevent from gaining weight. There are 9 tips in total

1.Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, and grain products like bread and rice.
2.Eat only small, single servings of foods high in fat or calories.
3.Eat less sugar and fewer sweets.
Drink less alcohol or no alcohol.
4.Choose foods whose labels say low, light or reduced to describe calories or fat.
5.Choose 1 percent or skim milk products and reduced fat cheeses.
6.Replace ice cream with fat-free frozen yogurt.
7.Replace sour cream with fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt.
8.Make sure fish, poultry and meat are lean. Trim skin and fat.
9.Broil, roast or steam foods.
nolamite On February 04, 2006

, California
#2New Post! Aug 21, 2005 @ 19:58:56
It would be best to eliminate dairy completely, as even non-fat milk is 55% sugar.
asmodean On September 15, 2007

Hampshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 21, 2005 @ 20:01:14
@nolamite Said
It would be best to eliminate dairy completely, as even non-fat milk is 55% sugar.

Actually, all milk that is just milk is as it says, just milk. No sugar.
Are you thinking of flavoured milk?

10. Do exercise.
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#4New Post! Aug 21, 2005 @ 20:04:08
But I like living fast and dying young . . . being in shape is for squares.

, California
#5New Post! Aug 23, 2005 @ 01:41:42
@asmodean Said
Actually, all milk that is just milk is as it says, just milk. No sugar.
Are you thinking of flavoured milk?

Actually, I was talking about lactose (milk sugar). There have been numerous studies showing that dairy does not aid in weight loss, and even causes weight gain in most cases. The consumption of dairy products is not recommended for weight loss nor is it part of a healthy diet.
sweetrnsugar77 On December 22, 2008

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#6New Post! Sep 06, 2005 @ 02:33:42
dairy is something our bodies only need when we are infants...thats why every other mamal weens their babies. if you drink or eat milk product frequently it affects you system in a lot of ways.
jenno On October 13, 2005

sale, Australia
#7New Post! Sep 30, 2005 @ 03:45:53
im in the fitness indestry and all that is true
but the most important thing is to keep active
generally u can eat whatever u want just in smaller portans
JUST STAY ACTIVE then u should be right
but before start anyting GO SEE UR DOCTOR

, California
#8New Post! Oct 04, 2005 @ 03:30:19
I don't subscribe to the "you can eat whatever you want in moderation" or "anything in moderation can be part of a healthy diet" mantra that I hear all too often. The simple fact is that there are healthy foods and unhealthy foods; it's important that people realize and understand this.
noshingnell On December 29, 2012

LaaLaa Land, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 10, 2005 @ 14:36:10
@sweetrnsugar77 Said
dairy is something our bodies only need when we are infants...thats why every other mamal weens their babies. if you drink or eat milk product frequently it affects you system in a lot of ways.

This has kind of confused me a bit. Both myself and my mother have both been advised, by our doctors, to drink at least a pint of totally skimmed or semi skinned or semi skinned milk a day. This is to help with our bone density.
prom83 On August 06, 2006

Deleted

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Oct 10, 2005 @ 15:14:43
You need diary products to help with vital minerals such as calcuim. Hoever they should be of the low fat variety. You especially require diary products if your a vegi.
noshingnell On December 29, 2012

LaaLaa Land, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 10, 2005 @ 17:40:45
@prom83 Said
You need diary products to help with vital minerals such as calcuim. Hoever they should be of the low fat variety. You especially require diary products if your a vegi.

Thats exactly what I always thought. I think that cutting them out of your diet altogether just to lose lose weight sounds a bit dangerous to me.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Oct 10, 2005 @ 17:45:17
Dairy products are fine.

If you want to lose weight, eat less and exercise more. If you want to be healthier at the same time, eat more fresh food and less processed food. Fruits, veggies, grilled lean meats, whole grains.

Write down everything you eat for a couple weeks and keep track of the calories. You'll be amazed.

For breakfast, whole grain bagels and healthy cereals are great. For lunch, salads, wraps, and stuff like that are good. For dinner, grilled meats and veggies (Green Giant makes these very tasty frozen vegetables that come in small microwaveable bags.. broccoli with cheese sauce, etc.. they're very tasty and very healthy).

Eat LOTS of times per day. Three meals (200 calories at breakfast, 400 at lunch and 500 at dinner) with a 150 calorie snack 2-3 times a day really works.

Bread is VERY VERY BAD.

And NO SODA!

, California
#13New Post! Oct 12, 2005 @ 05:59:29
@noshingnell Said
This has kind of confused me a bit. Both myself and my mother have both been advised, by our doctors, to drink at least a pint of totally skimmed or semi skinned or semi skinned milk a day. This is to help with our bone density.

Your doctor needs to keep up to date with the scientific journals. There is overwhelming evidence showing that dairy consumption plays no role in bone strength, development or decreased fracture risk. Most people in the world cannot even digest milk, and it makes little sense that so many people are unable to eat something that is marketed as a dietary requirement. Dairy consumption can actually make your bones weaker.

@prom83 Said

Calcium is indeed a mineral, as you just stated. As with all minerals, they come from the soil. Plant foods contain plenty of calcium; in fact plants contain more calcium per calorie than milk. Not only that, but calcium from plant foods is better absorbed and utilized by the body than dairy. As for low/non fat milk, as I stated before it contains an incredible amount of sugar as well as many contaminants and vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Remember, many cultures around the world consume no dairy at all, yet maintain very healthy lives with strong bones. Ever notice how you don't see dairy on the menu at a Chinese restaurant?

@noshingnell Said
Thats exactly what I always thought. I think that cutting them out of your diet altogether just to lose lose weight sounds a bit dangerous to me.

People should completely eliminate dairy from their diet because of its role in disease and ill health. The link between dairy consumption and cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease and so forth is enough reason to stop consuming dairy. Weight loss is just a bonus, and for some reason people are more concerned about dairy making you fat than giving you cancer or diabetes.

If you are still having a difficult time believing what I have just stated, then please ask me any questions you like and I can explain them in greater detail. I am not telling people they can't drink dairy, it's just that many people drink milk falsely believing it's a health food, and those people deserve to be informed of the truth.
scorpionguru On December 27, 2007

England, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Oct 27, 2005 @ 22:19:32
The Perect Guide to Losing Weight, and getting generally fitter.

I disagree with a lot of the posts on this forum. Losing weight, as everybody knows, is not easy at all. I was slightly overweight and wanted to lose a lot of weight to improve my running. After 6 weeks of following my diet, it improved hugely. After another 8 weeks I had a major problem, I was losing 2 pounds a week. Yes, muscle loss. I thought this was a problem but it was only the muscle on my arms which were being lost, which is normal as I am a long distance runner. My leg muscles were expanding rapidly and my core (abs + pecs) were expanding - however, they were not bodybuilding, they were becoming useful, not tense muscle which is produced by lifting the heaviest weight in the gym.

If you are concerned about your weight and want to lose it, don't go extreme in the sense of having too much or too less of a food.

If you do a lot of excercise, don't think 'Ah... I did 20 minutes running today, I felt knacckered after that - I am going to eat a mars bar as I probs burnt off all those calories.

OR

'I am a runner, I can eat loads because my body is very efficent and buring calories'.

First one is very wrong, an average jog will burn no more than 200-400 calories if you are a steady jogger.

Second One is even worst: Don't think the more you jog or run, the more calories you burn. Yes this is true, but only in the short term. The longer the distance you do, the more effient your body becomes at using food, and therefore your body will become more effient at burning those calories - i.e. less calories are wasted. this means your meals will get absorbed too much, and you may end up in a weight gain if you are a jogger.

If you want to burn calories well and lose a lot of weight, heres the way:

Breakfast: Your body has just woken up, listen to yourself, listen to your appetitie. If it is poor, then this means don't start stuffing yourself with pancakes heavy in fat. You will get a fatigue effect and your body will hardly absorb it. BREAKFAST is the most important meal of the day, but its rubbish to say 'it should be the largest' to keep you full till lunch.

The best breakfast is a light one: 8:00AM

ProBiotic Drink (Something to have)
Cereal (No more than 250 calories)
200 - 250 ml Fruit Juice (Yes, if you look at the back of a packet of orange juice - high in calories - but as long as good fruit sugar, your body will quickly absorb it and use it well. It will not get converted to fat. As long as you do not increase the portion size.

11:00 AM:

If you are a active person, walks around a lot, or cleans around the house a lot then intake:

200-300 Calories:

Packet of Crips or Cereal Bar (No more than 120 calories)
Low Fat Yogurt
Two portions of fruit

Not Active:

100-150 Calories:

Low Fat Yogurt
Fruit

The crips should be no more than 8g higher in normal fats and no more than 2g of Saturated Fats.

A Low-Fat diet is normally viewed as as little fat as possbile. - It is stupid to think like this.

People find diets so hard because for that very reason. Fats slow down the digestive system, making it leave the gut longer. This pro-longs the feeling of food in your stomach - great for removing the hunger appetite. Having healthy portions of fats from olive oils, margerines, small portions of cheeses is very good for your heart. Just avoid massive portions of them. SATURATED FATS are a NO NO. This is where people fall it to the fat category.

The italians are considered to be the healthiest in the world. They are not badly overweight - yet they eat hell lots of fats and carbohydrates? There is your proof, the fats they eat are different to what is found in junk food.

Lunch: If running within 2 hours (400-500 Calories)

High Starch Carbs - Low Fats - Low Proteins:

Perfect Meal: Pasta with Garlic and Mushroom Sauce with a hint of tunas
No No Meal: Burger and Chips or High Meat

If you are running within 4 hours, you dont want to eat something high in fats. Macaroni cheese is high in healthy fats, but takes ages to leave the gut - you will feel like hell during the run

Proteins will get wasted as energy unless you manage to get a 80 Carb :25 ratio of it. By doing this you will end up having to low carbs or too high carbs. This is something you also must avoid because you are putting on unnesecarliy calories. You will find that a medium portion of 80 Carb: 25 Protein will equal a hint of proteins.

Pre-Run Snack: 3:50PM

If you are an inexperienced runner, don't drink sports drink - unnesecarlily more calories. Having said that, your sugar levels could be quite low, so a sip may actually help top up your sugar levels.

Post-Run: 5:00PM

If you wish to stimulate muscle growth:

2 Table Spoons of Sweetcorn or 2 Apples/Nectarines
1 Portion of Fish

Your bodys sugars levels are very low. Sweetcorn is high in carbohyrdrates which your body will use and respire quickly. Fish is high in protein (do not worry about the fats).

Note: Do not have protein without the carbohydrates, everybody is different, for me, the protein gets wasted if I do not ingest carbohydrates as your body uses this for energy.

Wait 5 minutes after running. NO MORE NO LESS.

(Post-Jog: 4:20PM )

100 ML Glass of Orange Juice and a Nectarine.

Orange Juice will provide the sugars needed, Necatrine will get rid of your appetitte.

Dinner: 6:00PM (600 Calories MAX)

This is in my opinion a very important meal. A dinner high in starch and healthy fats is the best time to provided the exta food stores for your body needs.

Rice with Lentils, Roast Chicken and Potatoes - Two good examples. Just be general and natrual about it. Avoid regular dishes like Chicken Currys etc.. they are high in fats and will cause a build up.

Types of running to do to burn lots of calories:

Hill Running:

Running up hills at fast speeds burns a heck of calories.

Fartlek:

Running for long distances but with short burts of increased running speed.

_

Avoid: Flat terrain jogs over long distances - do these as resting jogs.

A typical Week:

Monday: Slow Jog - 30 Minutes
Tuesday: Fartlek over 30 minutes
Wednesday: Slow Jog - 20 minutes
Thursday: A set distance of your choice - race it, aim for a pb.
Friday: Hill Training

Saturday and Sunday must be a rest, helps muscle repair.

Yes this is an incredibly long post. Just remember everybody is different. If you want, do this for 6 weeks and see if it helps. Avoid the one-off chocalate fudge cake. After 6 weeks, your body will be in a healthy state that it will throw away food that does not need to be used. You could then have the odd one off ingest of of a 400 calorie pudding every two weeks or so.

Have up to 9 hours of sleep - wake up early, not till 11:00. Your body does not digest food like it does during the day.

I hope this helps. If you have any problems like regular muscle stifness or unsure of injures. Just ask!

Remember - Everybody is different, some will have a down-effect, some will have a good effect. I appreciate questions or criticsizements. This worked for me.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#15New Post! Oct 27, 2005 @ 22:20:45
Stop eating McDonalds and move around some.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs