Society & Lifestyles

Tipping

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Darkman666 On about 18 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Aug 25, 2020 @ 15:49:30
it's a new trend in america about tipping. some people giving hundreds and thousands to waitresses for a tip. because of out of the kind of the heart, and the patron simply walk away, and thank you not necessary.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Aug 25, 2020 @ 19:37:52
I was hoping this topic was going tone about "cow tipping".

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Aug 25, 2020 @ 20:11:03
@chaski Said

I was hoping this topic was going tone about "cow tipping".

you are dancing with cows, you suppose dripping the cow, not tipping the cow. unless, the cow give you free milk, you what i mean!
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Aug 25, 2020 @ 20:23:14
So tipping is "Class-ist"

I'll remember that the next time we go out to eat.

Thanks for the tip!

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Aug 25, 2020 @ 20:46:09
i think is christrian thing, not jewish.

when you are tipping, if the water or waitress get the tip. if you throw the money, and if god doesn't grab it. the waiter or the waitress can keep it.

being jewish, if i was tipping. i throw up in the air, and the waiter or waitress doesn't grab it, and i caught it. i keep it! that's jack benny way.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 25, 2020 @ 21:57:22
@mrmhead Said

So tipping is "Class-ist"

I'll remember that the next time we go out to eat.

Thanks for the tip!

Only in UK. Read the post.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 26, 2020 @ 22:14:54
@mrmhead Said

So, seriously, I see tipping as showing appreciation for a "Personal Service" - a continued service or attention. A waitress at a restaurant, barber or hair dresser, or whatever they are called these days, shoe shine.
... though to think of it, not a doctor, dentist or nurse ... (and they can get pretty personal )
But not so much for a food pick-up or delivery, though delivery is more expected.

Going rate used to be 15%, but now it's bumped to 20% or more
I round down for delivery and up for waitstaff - and more if they were good.

I think you have a better handle on tipping. The amount of the tip depends on the service performed, with a possible bonus if the service is performed to a superior standard.

This distinguishes your attitude to tipping from ours, the reasons for which I explained in the OP and do not intend to go over again.

The conflict arises when Britons come to the USA and find that our tipping culture is different to yours and we find it difficult to reconcile the two.

Old world meets new, perhaps..?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#10New Post! Aug 26, 2020 @ 22:34:09
Or that American exceptionalism pushes employee wages on to the customers.
So tips become “required” rather than the business owner pay a fair wage and we actually reward good service. At $2.50ish an hour that’s insane. Which is why the percentage goes up wages haven’t.

I get the joke though, sometimes I’d prefer that. I know when some of my requests are nearing the absurd and I’d like to recognize a waitperson’a action and kindness, with out all the math. It’s like a f***ing algebra word problem just to get your dinner now a days. One more hassle to the corona lifestyle. At least they can’t see me mouthing out the math problem with a mask.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 26, 2020 @ 22:59:59
@DiscordTiger Said

Or that American exceptionalism pushes employee wages on to the customers.
So tips become “required” rather than the business owner pay a fair wage and we actually reward good service. At $2.50ish an hour that’s insane. Which is why the percentage goes up wages haven’t.

I get the joke though, sometimes I’d prefer that. I know when some of my requests are nearing the absurd and I’d like to recognize a waitperson’a action and kindness, with out all the math. It’s like a f***ing algebra word problem just to get your dinner now a days. One more hassle to the corona lifestyle. At least they can’t see me mouthing out the math problem with a mask.

Minimum wage over there is $2.50 an hour..??? That's £1.89 here at current exchange rates. Please tell me I'm getting something wrong here.

Minimum wage here is £8.72. or $11.53.

On a 40 hour week, that would be about (give or take) £18100 a year and at a rough hack, I'm reckoning you'd pay about £1050 a year in tax and £1000 in National Insurance (NI contributions are mostly taken up by contributions to your state pension and a little bit for the NHS).

Please tell me you guys get paid more than $2.50 an hour as minimum wage.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! Aug 26, 2020 @ 23:24:20
@Jennifer1984 Said

Minimum wage over there is $2.50 an hour..??? That's £1.89 here at current exchange rates. Please tell me I'm getting something wrong here.

On a 40 hour week, that would be about (give or take) £18100 a year and at a rough hack, I'm reckoning you'd pay about £1050 a year in tax and £1000 in National Insurance (NI contributions are mostly taken up by contributions to your state pension and a little bit for the NHS).

for long time in america, waiters and waitresses in restaurants only got lower rages than working fields. waitresses and waiters little better wages not than much still one of the paid jobs in america. they why depend tipping a great deal.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! Aug 26, 2020 @ 23:39:53
@Jennifer1984 Said

For certain waitstaff positions expected tips are figured into the equation for their wage.
(simple math ...at least from when I was in the arena +30 yrs ago)
The restaurant would pay them, say $3.00/hr, but they'd be taxed at a rate of $8/hr. It's on the waitresses to make up the difference in tips. Oh, and if they made more than $8/hr, they're expected to report it on their income taxes...yeah, right.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Aug 26, 2020 @ 23:47:18
@mrmhead Said

For certain waitstaff positions expected tips are figured into the equation for their wage.
(simple math ...at least from when I was in the arena +30 yrs ago)
The restaurant would pay them, say $3.00/hr, but they'd be taxed at a rate of $8/hr. It's on the waitresses to make up the difference in tips. Oh, and if they made more than $8/hr, they're expected to report it on their income taxes...yeah, right.

that's how i remember, i thought stupid that they report it on income taxes. like they really make money to report. you know no union for waiters and waitresses unless in last 10 years, it change.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#15New Post! Aug 30, 2020 @ 17:45:09
@Jennifer1984 Said

Min wage for the whole country is $7.25. Some cities /states have it a little higher

For “tipped” workers which is someone that customarily gets more than $30 in tips a month. So basically waitstaff, bartenders. The employer is only required to pay $2.13 an hour if the tips will make up the difference- to 7.25. Not necessarily livable wages which you really need to being working 40 hours at $15 to support a small apartment and child. More if your family is bigger. But the research shows you need that amount to rent at least a two bedroom apartment, and live minimally on groceries and such for 2-3 humans.

Some places the restaurant pays at least the $7.25 min, but those are more like counter type work ( like baristas or fast food setups) so there tipping is a “choice”. Usually there is a tip jar as opposed to an actual line on your bill. But it is a little confusing, and I’m sure even worse for tourists. I know what places pay workers s***ty because I research that s***. And I feel that as I advocate for $15 min wage, I need to put my money where my mouth is and support business already doing it, and tip my waitstaff accordingly.

Some days it is frustrating because of the math and it can be a strain on the budget. But I feel it’s important enough to do.

So yes, the fundamental economic structure of the us is a cause of all of our current problems. Both with race, politics, and corona acting as magnifiers.

It’s ridiculous, many people are actually struggling to meet basic needs that the “fear” of the other or what can go wrong causes them to act accordingly. That’s why it’s so polarized. And why somethings seem irrational, because the structure is bad and any attempts to change are meet with resistance.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs