Yes, I would agree with you. The most important thing is to factor in issues of health. They can be determiners of what could happen.
Now, let's consider the threat posed by his children. That's a much easier, or harder issue to contend with, as the variables of a scenario involving them would be very unpredictable.
Take for instance, his daughter Katherine. She was born 1989, making her 30 years of age. In theory, this could mean that in a hand to hand conflict, there would be a 30% chance a person her father's age could overpower her with a 20% margin of error if we factor in her age and whether or not she could gain the upper hand in a close encounter with him.
On other hand, given the element of surprise, there is an 89% chance she could be overpowered with an 11% margin of error, given his greater experience, or knowhow of stealth tactics.
I'm not sure that age and the difference in age actually equate to the probablyility of whether a person would be overpowered.
It has been said that Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and vigor
For example: I am in my 60+ (contrary to my TFS profile). I am in pretty good shape; both in terms of strength and aerobics. I lift weights, and while I no longer run marathons I can (and have) out hiked men well younger than I. A friend once called me a "camel" in reference to my endurance.
(Side note: My older by 4 years brother leaves me in the dust hiking (though he hasn't been tested in either deserts nor in jungles) and bicycling... but he wouldn't dare trying to get in a fist fight with me. Not that we would ever fight each other... our bond is too great.)
Now, in a fight I am confident that I would not be overcome by most younger men. The lesser part of that has to do with my physical conditioning and/or fighting ability. Mostly it is because I wouldn't fight fair.
I am at an age that regardless of my physical conditioning and experience in martial arts, it takes longer and longer to heal "wounds" as compared to when I was younger. Point being, realistically at this age I cannot "afford" to be injured. So in a fight I would not "fight fair". I would use trickery, misdirection, deceit... I would bring a gun to a knife fight
. To paraphrase, he who runs away, lives...
Note: Of course to begin with and in reality, I avoid conflict/confrontation whenever possible, which is pretty much always
. So, all of that
is really meaningless.
Addition/edit: Having said all that
it is my sense that most men (i.e. male humans) are at their core wimps and cowards. I know that is a horrible thing to say. Some act like tough guys
... some act like bullies... some think being rude and not being "PC" is cool... etc... all of that boils down to cowardice IMO. Something like 50.4% of the world's human population is male. Maybe 3% of those men have (metaphorically speaking) a set of balls
. I used to think that in the USA it was about 10% of men who had a set of balls
, but I was wrong in that thinking... in the USA that number is probably closer to 5%. But that is a different thread.