The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Thought provoking letter to the TELEGRAPH!!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrs_sirius_black On August 04, 2007

Northampton, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 30, 2007 @ 18:51:35
Please read this with an open heart....this lady talks a lot of sense imho!!

Vix

AM I THE ONLY ONE???

I am afraid I have to put my views across regarding the Madeleine McCann tragedy.

First of all, it goes without saying that I hope and pray Madeleine is found, preferably safe and well.

However, I cannot understand why even a newspaper like The Telegraph does not have one reporter/journalist asking the basic and pertinent questions regarding this tragic case [I would like to make it clear that when I say tragic, I mean tragic for Madeleine McCann, an innocent little girl, nobody else].

Is it because all those rushing to defend the parents' actions are also the kind of people who do leave very young children alone while they go out for a social evening??? No matter what excuses are made, the bare facts are that three very young children were left by themselves in a ground floor apartment with the patio doors unlocked while the parents went to enjoy dinner with friends. Much is made by reporters/journalists about them being 'just a stone throw away', 'just a few yards away', 'they checked every half an hour' etc, etc.

I have looked at the aerial photographs carefully - the ground floor apartment is not visible from the restaurant. It is not in the direct line of vision. The restaurant was not directly across the road from the apartment. It can only be a stone throw away IF the stone thrower happens to be Superman, Wonder Woman, the Incredible Hulk or some other superhero. Also, the aparment, besides being a ground floor one, is right next to a main road.

I accept that none of us are perfect parents. There are times when we all have lost sight of our children in crowded places, I certainly have and the panic and fear that grips you for the few minutes it takes to find them can age you years.

However, it was not the case here. Madeleine did not disappear suddenly in a crowded place. The McCanns chose to leave the children behind and not for the first time either. Did they have a stop watch to time the half hours that they say they went back to check on the children? It does not take a genius to work out how long half an hour can be for children this young. Anything could have happened in that time and I don't mean abduction. Children do wake up crying or just wake up suddenly. They will cry for the parents or get out of bed to look for them. Anything.

There is a big difference between 'losing' a child whilst out and about and 'losing' a child who has been left alone and defenceless by her own parents and for no better reason than so they can go and eat with their friends [who all more than likely left their own children unattended just like the McCanns]. As a mother myself, I certainly could not have gone out of the apartment to go and eat at a restaurant with the children left by themselves. When mine were that age, they always came with us and when they were tired, they slept in their buggy or pushchair or we make them a place to lie down and sleep.

This resort the McCanns were at provides more than adequate childcare. It cannot be possible that the McCanns could not afford to pay either for an individual babysitter or the evening creche that was available. It was mentioned that the charge was 10 an hour - well, how long does a nice meal last? Are we to believe that the McCanns, both in highpaid profession, cannot spend 20 or 30 for a child-free evening out with peace of mind??? If they had so wanted the children to sleep in their 'own beds', they could have had a babysitter and then go back every so often to check on the children and the babysitter.

We are not talking 'hindsight' here - we are talking standard parenting. You do not have to be a 'perfect' parent to know these things. We are also not talking some teenage parents whose desire for a night out supercedes common sense and care because they do not know better. Let's face it - the McCanns are educated professionals - doctors for goodness sake! This was not a one off oversight. This was a choice made by them.

I do not apologise for the fact that I cannot find it in my heart to feel any sympathy for the McCanns. In fact I will go so far as to say I find it utterly distasteful their subsequent behaviour ... flying out their priest, a team of lawyers [excuse me, lawyers when your child is missing???], setting up a fund for the public to contribute to their expenses??? [I would be using my own money, borrowing, re-mortgaging my house, etc - it would not even occur to me to expect the public to pay], this Team McCann business, having a Press Officer, a Campaign Manager [excuse me, are they running for public office or the US presidency???] ... writing a diary [and not one entry about one of them physically going out to look for their missing daughter], photo opportunities ... but most of all, I cannot understand the media's silence over the most glaring of facts. It is not accusing anybody to ask the obvious questions.

Nobody in their right mind can deny that had this been a couple from some socially disadvantaged background who had left their young childlren asleep while they go off to the pub, the media, the public, the social services, the police will all be involved ... the papers baying for their blood, the lynch mob ready, the police waiting at the airport, the social services taking the twins away, etc, etc.

The gullible public are donating their hard earned money [I will hazard a guess that most of the donors are not rich people and probably earn less than the McCanns] and indulging in collective recreational grief. I will not be surprised if the Vatican starts procedures for the McCanns' sainthood. Celebrities rushed to offer reward money ... what about all the other little children who go missing??? Where is the fund for them???

I am now turned off completely by the McCanns and their publicity machine. They should be made to face up to the fact that they and they alone caused their little daughter's suffering. I cannot bear to think of what might have happend or is happening to this innocent little girl.

I hope and pray she is found.

Post to: del.icio.us Digg Newsvine NowPublic Reddit Madeleine McCann, Other Comments [8] Back to top Report this post
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! May 30, 2007 @ 18:58:57
The parents were stupid, yes.

However, the parents didn't kidnap her.

It's counterproductive to try so hard to find who exactly is the most to blame here.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 30, 2007 @ 19:01:39
I fear that the amount of press about what the family are doing is diluting the actual problem.

It's become too much of a media sensation in my opinion, as calous as this may sound, i'm sick of hearing about it in the news and having it thrust upon me in the papers.

*awaits flurry of negative kudos*
perspicacious On November 28, 2014

?, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 30, 2007 @ 19:13:04
I posted what I think of the McCanns here two weeks ago.

I still think they are moneymaking scum with delusions of grandeur.
dlux On June 04, 2007

Hamburg, Germany
#5New Post! May 30, 2007 @ 19:14:19
ditto
mrs_sirius_black On August 04, 2007

Northampton, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 30, 2007 @ 19:25:36
@perspicacious Said
I posted what I think of the McCanns here two weeks ago.

I still think they are moneymaking scum with delusions of grandeur.

Iam starting to think so too!!!

there is someing VERY fishy about this whole thing!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs