Thought for the Day 2

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#31New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 03:09:32
@chaski Said

Yes... King David... he was very poetic, but not the best role model.

One might wonder if god was actually wooed by Dave's words... flattery will get you everywhere...

Or was god just a little be smarter than that...

Of course that would be just a rhetorical question as one can only conjecture what a fictional character might think and feel.

...what was really going on in the mind of Professor Severus Snape‽

PS
I love the inter bang; "‽".

For Jews the Bible tells the story of the coming of the Messiah, who is a King, so he needs kings as ancestors.

David is one of those ancestors, and for a long time, like many of the members of my church, I thought that David was a mythical or fictional character.

However, the Bible goes to extra-ordinary lengths to explained why the leader of a younger generation is not the first born of the older generation. The story is more complicated than it might be if it is just a myth, so maybe it is an historical record.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#32New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 03:14:59
@Ghyda Said

The story is more complicated than it might be if it is just a myth, so maybe it is an historical record.

Really?

From my reading there are some far more complex and nuanced characters in mythology than David.

Of course, to be honest, Jesus isn't very nuanced either.

Anaheim, California
#33New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 03:46:36
@chaski Said

Really?

From my reading there are some far more complex and nuanced characters in mythology than David.

Of course, to be honest, Jesus isn't very nuanced either.

I was thinking more of things like: Why was David descended from Judah and not the first born of Jacob?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#34New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 04:17:52
@Ghyda Said

I was thinking more of things like: Why was David descended from Judah and not the first born of Jacob?

Sort of like Beowulf's father was Ecgtheow?

On his mother’s side, Beowulf belonged to the royal house in Geatland, which is a kingdom in southern Sweden. His maternal grandfather was King Hrethel. Note that the name of Beowulf’s mother is not given in the story, but she is the daughter of King Hrethel and sister of King Hygelac.

On his father’s side, Beowulf belonged to a lineage, known as the Wægundings, a noble house of warriors. His father was named Ecgtheow. His young kinsman, perhaps nephew or great nephew, Wiglaf, also belonged to this line.

Thus Beowulf must have been a real person?

OR

Gilgamesh's father is said to have been the Priest-King Lugalbanda and his mother the goddess Ninsun

Like that?

chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#35New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 04:26:25
So... sort of related topic...

Joseph Campbell, author of The Hero with a Thousand Faces as well as other books, once had a conversation with one of his professors... topic "mythology" and (more or less) mythological motif....

Campbell presented the idea that all religion/mythology had essentially the same set of motifs.

Campbell's professor agreed... with one exception; Christianity.

That is... all mythology/religion have the same or similar motifs, which are all myth..... except christianity in which case the motif is actually "real".

Hmmm.....
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#36New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 04:31:40
Sorry... addition here...

Lugalbanda. Gilgamesh's father, was a Sumerian King who ruled for 1,200 years (not too bad) and had the epithet of the Shepherd....

Shepherd... sort of like Jesus... or the Pope... maybe....
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#37New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 04:35:06
Sorry... again... but Gilgamesh is/was a descendant of An... or Anu... the divine personification of the sky, supreme god...

Wait...!

The Great Sky God!??!?!?!?!?!?

Anaheim, California
#38New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 15:13:53
@chaski Said

Sorry... again... but Gilgamesh is/was a descendant of An... or Anu... the divine personification of the sky, supreme god...

Wait...!

The Great Sky God!??!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, something like that. And because David is not descended from the first-born, like you might expect in a myth, maybe he was a actual person.

And, I suppose I should ask: do you know why, according to Jewish tradition, why is David not descended from the first-born?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#39New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 16:27:12
@Ghyda Said

...why is David not descended from the first-born?

As in why was David not descended from Adam's 1st born?

Cain was 1st born and was exiled for murdering Able... so I'm guessing that God didn't view Cain's lineage as a good one.

Or are you referring to King Saul?

Saul started out ok, but turned bad so God rejected him (and presumably his lineage), thus the kingship went to David.

David's became the lineage of the messiah. The lineage then went to Solomon #2... because Amnon #1 was assassinated by Absalom #4.

Anaheim, California
#40New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 16:33:11
@chaski Said

As in why was David not descended from Adam's 1st born?

Cain was 1st born and was exiled for murdering Able... so I'm guessing that God didn't view Cain's lineage as a good one.

Or are you referring to King Saul?

Saul started out ok, but turned bad so God rejected him (and presumably his lineage), thus the kingship went to David.

David's became the lineage of the messiah. The lineage then went to Solomon #2... because Amnon #1 was assassinated by Absalom #4.

In the original post, I said Jacob's first-born.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#41New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 17:13:20
@Ghyda Said

In the original post, I said Jacob's first-born.

Ok...

So, starting with Cain god didn't seem to care about 1st born sons.

Abraham's #1 was Ishmael.... but Isaac #2 was god's favorite.

Isaac's first son was Esau.... but god preferred the liar Jacob #2.

With Jacob's son's... god jumped nearly to the bottom of the list with Joseph #11. Of course Jacob was a bit of a dandy with his colorful coat... who wouldn't put him 1st.

So >>> god obviously didn't care about 1st borns when choosing his favorite.

Side note:
It is uncertain whether or not Abraham was #1 son of Terah.

Anaheim, California
#42New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 17:31:56
@chaski Said

Ok...

So, starting with Cain god didn't seem to care about 1st born sons.

Abraham's #1 was Ishmael.... but Isaac #2 was god's favorite.

Isaac's first son was Esau.... but god preferred the liar Jacob #2.

With Jacob's son's... god jumped nearly to the bottom of the list with Joseph #11. Of course Jacob was a bit of a dandy with his colorful coat... who wouldn't put him 1st.

So >>> god obviously didn't care about 1st borns when choosing his favorite.

Side note:
It is uncertain whether or not Abraham was #1 son of Terah.

I will take that as a no. And Joseph had the coat, at least according to Andrew Lloyd Webber.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#43New Post! Feb 05, 2020 @ 18:05:01
@Ghyda Said

I will take that as a no. And Joseph had the coat, at least according to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

“A no”? Yes, I do not know why the mythical god of bible did not seem to favor 1st born sons. His choices seemed to have been flawed, but who really knows what is in the mind of fictional beings...

And yes, even the Bible tells us of Joseph’s dandy coat.

Anaheim, California
#44New Post! Feb 07, 2020 @ 17:34:56
Psalm 97:10

Ye that love the Lord, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#45New Post! Feb 08, 2020 @ 14:38:15
Mike Kellogg had a radio show called: Through The Night

and they would play the Sibelius Berceuse song as part of the introduction

here's the video from youtube I found which demonstrates his music and voice

Thank you Mike for helping me get through the early morning commute

Stay safe and warm. God bless us, everyone.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs