This Could Be In Many Sections

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 09:22:14
There was a cartoon on another thread and, my own mind being a dustbin that flies off on strange tangents, I thought of the cartoon below. I did see some sort of connection to the discussion on that thread, but thought it best to open another thread.

In many ways, the cartoon speaks of the beauty of difference, of diversity. Of how our own sense of "self", in seeking to justify it and defend it, often makes us blind to the unique characteristics and virtues of others.

Obviously, no "question" here, but any observation welcome.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 12:23:30
@dookie Said

There was a cartoon on another thread and, my own mind being a dustbin that flies off on strange tangents, I thought of the cartoon below. I did see some sort of connection to the discussion on that thread, but thought it best to open another thread.

In many ways, the cartoon speaks of the beauty of difference, of diversity. Of how our own sense of "self", in seeking to justify it and defend it, often makes us blind to the unique characteristics and virtues of others.

If the test is for a job picking apples, obviously some are better equipped than others.

An obviously simplistic comment, but you could extrapolate that.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#3New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 14:15:24
@dookie Said

Our causing a lack of diversity is what is killing our eco system and is the cause of our present headlong rush towards our own extinction.

Naturalists are telling us that we have become what is analogous to a Banana Republic and we all know that just one virus can destroy a single crop/Banana Republic human race.

Regards
DL
Darkman666 On about 3 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 15:22:03
i heard from the elephant, the bird, the monkey, and the penguin. they told me that the fish cheat!
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 13:51:17
@GreatestIam2 Said

Our causing a lack of diversity is what is killing our eco system and is the cause of our present headlong rush towards our own extinction.

Naturalists are telling us that we have become what is analogous to a Banana Republic and we all know that just one virus can destroy a single crop/Banana Republic human race.

Regards
DL

That is what's happening with the honey bee. I read that something like 80-90% of the bees in use by beekeepers are from the same genetic line. And they are susceptible to a certain mite and/or fungus that is suspect behind the Colony Collapse Syndrome.

Beekeepers don't just make honey. There is a whole industry of farmers hiring beekeepers to bring in their hives to pollinate the crops. And the keepers go from farm to farm.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 15:19:34
if the elephant stand below the branches of the tree, except the elephant. all the animals could climb aback of the elephant, and the animals can help each others climb up the tree. elephant would have stay behind.

Ottawa, Canada
#7New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 20:05:01
@darkman666 Said

i heard from the elephant, the bird, the monkey, and the penguin. they told me that the fish cheat!

They will be pleased to hear that we are killing those off by the millions with the plastics we are dumping into the sea.

You are getting your fair share of that micro plastic in your fish, not to mention the iodine.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#8New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 20:10:37
@mrmhead Said

That is what's happening with the honey bee. I read that something like 80-90% of the bees in use by beekeepers are from the same genetic line. And they are susceptible to a certain mite and/or fungus that is suspect behind the Colony Collapse Syndrome.

Beekeepers don't just make honey. There is a whole industry of farmers hiring beekeepers to bring in their hives to pollinate the crops. And the keepers go from farm to farm.

The stupid part of this is that instead of spending on the problem directly, there is a ton of researchers trying to built electric robotic pollinators.

We have Banana Republiced bees and endangered the whole species. We are putting ourselves behind the same 8 ball.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Regards
DL
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 20:35:09
@GreatestIam2 Said

They will be pleased to hear that we are killing those off by the millions with the plastics we are dumping into the sea.

You are getting your fair share of that micro plastic in your fish, not to mention the iodine.

Regards
DL

Just to mention that the number of discarded facemasks continues to grow on the streets where I live. You really do have to wonder at the human animal and our prospects of survival.

Anyway, from Thomas Merton's translation of Chuang Tzu:-

Water is for fish
And air for men.
Natures differ, and needs with them.
Hence the wise men of old
Did not lay down
One measure for all.

There is also:-

When we look at things in the light of Tao,
Nothing is best, nothing is worst.
Each thing, seen in its own light,
Stands out in its own way.
It can seem to be “better”
Than what is compared with it
On its own terms.
But seen in terms of the whole,
No one thing stands out as “better.”

(There are also words on how a human being can come to know, by empathy, the joy of fishes. Of the pure joy of sometimes being useless. )

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 21:27:01
in st. louis, i seen almost evry time, discard facemasks on streets and sidewalks, too.

with masks, you hold a goldfish in a facemask, use the ear straps around your fingers.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 12, 2020 @ 07:03:28
@darkman666 Said

with masks, you hold a goldfish in a facemask, use the ear straps around your fingers.

Not a natural environment!

Here is Chuang Tzu again (and blame Darkman for inspiring this post, not me....... )

Fishes are born in water
Man is born in Tao.
If fishes, born in water,
Seek the deep shadow
Of pond and pool,
All their needs
Are satisfied.

If man, born in Tao,
Sinks into the deep shadow
Of non-action
To forget aggression and concern,
He lacks nothing
His life is secure.

Moral: “All the fish needs
Is to get lost in water.
All man needs is to get lost
In Tao.”
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 12, 2020 @ 10:38:00
Ahhhh, the unfair selection process gag.

I understand where the thread is meant to go but I'm going to veer off on a tangent because unfair selection processes come in many forms. Women and black people have had to stand for such gross injustices for a verrrrrrrrry long time. They are nothing new to us.

Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 12, 2020 @ 11:20:47
@Jennifer1984 Said

Ahhhh, the unfair selection process gag.

I understand where the thread is meant to go but I'm going to veer off on a tangent because unfair selection processes come in many forms. Women and black people have had to stand for such gross injustices for a verrrrrrrrry long time. They are nothing new to us.

It was actually your cartoon that inspired my thread........if "inspired" is the right word

But I'm happy for any thread of mine to meander wherever.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Aug 12, 2020 @ 13:19:07
you can't get a fish out of water, if you don't use a hook and pull him out. but for $ 20 that all you need for a hooker for an hour.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#15New Post! Aug 12, 2020 @ 13:38:51
a man with no fish,
is waste a good can
of worms.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs