Forums: News & Current Events:
Environment

Things you probably don't think of

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrmhead On about 23 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Dec 24, 2020 @ 02:41:08
Storms like Hurricane Katrina are becoming more frequent and severe as global temperatures rise. These storms pour large volumes of rain over salt***er oceans, slowly turning them into freshwater reservoirs.

And their knock-on effects

Because of the decreased salinity, dolphins develop patchy, raised lesions over their bodies that sometimes cover more than 70% of their skin, according to a study published Dec. 15 in the journal Scientific Reports.

The condition, called ulcerative dermatitis or “freshwater skin disease,” sucks dolphins dry of their vital nutrients, paving the way for organ failure and rapid death.

Link

Wonder what else is going on out there?
4d4m On December 23, 2022

4dforum.org,
#2New Post! Mar 10, 2021 @ 21:32:01
I was in Southern California a few years back. My how that place has changed. The California emissions laws have done wonders. You can actually SEE L.A.

I was at the beach in San Diego County and there was a redish brownish haze out over the water in the distance. I asked my companion what it was and she said "It's smog from China." I looked it up, she's not lying ( NPR }.
mrmhead On about 23 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Mar 11, 2021 @ 01:56:06
@4d4m Said

I was in Southern California a few years back. My how that place has changed. The California emissions laws have done wonders. You can actually SEE L.A.

I was at the beach in San Diego County and there was a redish brownish haze out over the water in the distance. I asked my companion what it was and she said "It's smog from China." I looked it up, she's not lying ( NPR }.

So what you're saying is that a "Clean City" is about as good as a no pissing zone in the pool.

4dforum.org,
#4New Post! Mar 11, 2021 @ 02:37:51
LOL, that's it exactly!

4dforum.org,
#5New Post! Mar 16, 2021 @ 02:47:33
One thing Trump did that got my ire was trying to make California not impose it's own smog restrictions. Doesn't make sense from the Republican philosophy he's supposed to be following. More states should follow suit considering the Fed hasn't kept up with clean air measures.
UN_Owen On April 19, 2021

Saratov, Russia. Yugoslavia do
#6New Post! Mar 27, 2021 @ 12:04:53
Another major environmental issue is heavy metal contamination in fish and other seafood. And no, I'm not saying that mussels spend their days headbanging to Pantera.
For example, if you eat tuna several times a week, you may get ill from the mercury that's present in that fish's meat.
Speaking of the seas, there's also the issue of the massive plastic trash continent that has formed in the Pacific Ocean.

I "love" how neoliberals and conservatives alike are diminishing environmental issues because "lol climate change is BS" and use it to defend harmful practices that cause other, non climate-related issues. But "climate change doesn't exist, and it's also a natural process", so let's throwing away slippers and plastic bags in the ocean.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs