Subcultures

Their SUCH posers...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
taintedblue_i On August 12, 2008

--------, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jul 04, 2006 @ 11:50:31
I always took posers to be the people you are saying call you posers- you know, perfect, conforming to the perfect teen stereotype, always posing and caring what people thought of them.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jul 04, 2006 @ 11:52:03
@taintedblue_i Said
I always took posers to be the people you are saying call you posers- you know, perfect, conforming to the perfect teen stereotype, always posing and caring what people thought of them.

yeah, thats always been my definition of the word
alljive On March 03, 2007

trondheim, Norway
#18New Post! Jul 04, 2006 @ 11:54:33
Posing and posers, just gotta love it and them. Creates great entertainment, and keeps life in most musical styles we know of.

Without posers how many gangsta rappers would we have? Seriously few let me tell you, it goes without saying that all of them can't be truthful with all the tales of guns and drugs..hey, they'd be a lot deader if half the stuff half of them are saying was true.

Without posers we'd not have much tv entertainment either, actors are professional posers. "reality" tv people too. Certainly most athletes pose.

Who is a poser, who is not? It isn't really interesting as a question, as the act of posing itself says a great deal about the motivations and real goals of the poser. Like skany hoe said, you can't tell by looks... I'll expand that and say that the only thing that makes sense is to treat the suspected poser as if he/she was telling the truth anyway. Confrontation and loss are the most likely outcomes of not doing so. There is usually a good reason behind the posing, for the poser him/herself anyway, and there are seriously few cases of posing that would cause any actual damage or be of any real consequence after all.

Posing can be a very good way of improving yourself. "fake it 'til you make it" is a good way to go about making desired changes in your personality and worldview.
BabyRS On February 14, 2015

, Singapore
#19New Post! Jul 04, 2006 @ 11:59:43
I think we do care about how people see us to a certain extent. We dress ourselves to appear presentable, regardless of what our definition of 'presentable' may be. Presentable also means our image to the general public.

When you think about it, no matter how we choose to dress or project ourselves, first and foremost, it has to make us feel comfortable. When we're secure and comfortable, that enhances our confidence.

No matter which 'category' people tend to stereotype us, I believe the ultimate aim is for us to be able to identify with ourselves first. It doesn't matter if you're an emo, or goth, or punk, or a poser - so long as you're happy being who you are.

The most important thing is to not overdo it. Then it'll make you a poser regardless of your style.
rawr____x On January 15, 2007

Westerville, Ohio
#20New Post! Oct 26, 2006 @ 21:58:10
@skanky_hoe Said
... I hear this term used so often, and I've been thinking lately, what really is a poser? People seem to make this judgement by just looking at people they see walking down the street, just because they do something outside a stereotype. For example, if a so called 'goth girl' is wearing a pink fluffy supre' skirt she might be called a poser. But this has nothing to do with her lifestyle, her values, personality or interests. It always seems to be the ones who emulate some ideal stereotype that point the finger. Isn't underground culture supposed to not follow general rules/values of society which are generally accepted? You should be allowed to be yourself without being judged, especially by people who should know better.

I agree that the use of the term 'poser' is quite rediculous, but by stating this, you are going to open up a whole other door to labels. These two go hand in hand.
In my honest opinion, I believe that every person in the world is a poser of someone or something. Who imagined the first gothic image? The first punk image? The first prep image? The person doing the name calling is usually of that label (which as I have stated in another forum, labels are unavoidable, they are a way in which society describes how a person dresses reguardless of what said person's personality or values are.) and feels threatened by the other person because they are not the exact image of what that stereotype is to them.
So in other words, I completely agree with you.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs