The sovereignty of nations

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 22:27:34
Sovereignty is roughly defined as independence and autonomy on a national scale. A nation or state is sovereign insofar as it rules itself and isn't controlled by an external, higher authority.

Throughout history, or at least throughout the history of the last 1000 years or so, a general trend is apparent: communities, societies and nations have become less and less independent, less in control of their own governance, and larger and larger sovereign complexes have emerged. Until relatively recently, 'countries' were the largest independent systems and governed themselves. Now even countries are constituent parts of multi-national institutions with enforcable laws which overrule the laws of individual states, for example European trade laws or the Universal Bill of Human Rights.

Is this trend a bad thing? Is it tragic for nations to lose their independence and revoke their sovereignty to huge international bodies like the UN or EU? Or is it a positive trend? Do the benefits of international concert and cooperation outweigh the need for freedom on a national scale?

Discuss.
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#2New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 22:49:44
Wow, what a topic.
I have never thought on this. But ideally it would seem to be a great thing with the dispersion of wealth and resources. Yet rarely in life is anything which was made to be good and help all ever really benefited anyone but those in power.

I don't really know a lot of history, I do know that the bigger a Power becomes the less likely it will be to give up it's power without a huge fight. And the more corrupt it will become.

My opinion only.

vicki On May 28, 2010

Deleted

manhattan,
#3New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 22:59:50
It's only a bad thing when you don't benefit from it and your life becomes worse.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 23:00:21
@Sweet_Merry Said

Wow, what a topic.
I have never thought on this. But ideally it would seem to be a great thing with the dispersion of wealth and resources. Yet rarely in life is anything which was made to be good and help all ever really benefited anyone but those in power.

I don't really know a lot of history, I do know that the bigger a Power becomes the less likely it will be to give up it's power without a huge fight. And the more corrupt it will become.

My opinion only.

I see. In my opinion, an independent nation, with the final decision on its own laws, is more likely to become corrupt and immoral than a union of states with agreed laws. But you are right in a sense; any international government would need to be democratic and accountable to prevent it from being corrupt. Of course, since different countries have such different cultures and varying populations, would it be fair to make such an institution democratic, since the most popular culture is not necessarily the best one to be represented by the government in all nations?

Clearly there must be some agreement on common laws which are held to be right by all cultures; perhaps the Bill of Human Rights is an attempt at this. But how does one decide what is the best kind of law? What is the 'true' morality? Should local customs be respected even if they don't conform to this?

A benevolent dictatorship, with unrestricted power to enforce 'true' morality in all countries would be the best system, but the trouble would be with working out what true morality is in the first place (if it exists) and then instating a trustworthy agent or group to administer it.
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#5New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 23:12:00
@buffalobill90 Said

I see. In my opinion, an (1)independent nation, with the final decision on its own laws, is more likely to become corrupt and immoral than a union of states with agreed laws. But you are right in a sense; any international government would need to be democratic and accountable to prevent it from being corrupt. Of course, since different countries have such different cultures and varying populations, would it be fair to make such an institution democratic, since the most popular culture is not necessarily the best one to be represented by the government in all nations?

Clearly there must be some agreement on common laws which are held to be right by all cultures; perhaps the Bill of Human Rights is an attempt at this. But how does one decide what is the best kind of law? What is the 'true' morality? Should local customs be respected even if they don't conform to this?

(2)A benevolent dictatorship, with unrestricted power to enforce 'true' morality in all countries would be the best system, but the trouble would be with working out what true morality is in the first place (if it exists) and then instating a trustworthy agent or group to administer it.

(1)0kay. But that's just scale- The independent Nation is small while the International would be so huge.

Each, going up in power, would seem to have an easier time going corrupt since there are more areas to blame. Easier to confuse the rest of the departments until it's too late.

(2)Seems hard to except. What Government is really there for the people? It's there to protect itself; The Nation. The people are only a resource to use and care.
Yes, it benefits the government to maintain happy and productive citizens but it will always take care of the over all power it has to the detriment of the citizens.

Cultural laws? No idea how that would be handled.

Wow, Ididn't know I was so cynical.[/]

In my opinion.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#6New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 23:18:07
@buffalobill90 Said

Sovereignty is roughly defined as independence and autonomy on a national scale. A nation or state is sovereign insofar as it rules itself and isn't controlled by an external, higher authority.

Throughout history, or at least throughout the history of the last 1000 years or so, a general trend is apparent: communities, societies and nations have become less and less independent, less in control of their own governance, and larger and larger sovereign complexes have emerged. Until relatively recently, 'countries' were the largest independent systems and governed themselves. Now even countries are constituent parts of multi-national institutions with enforcable laws which overrule the laws of individual states, for example European trade laws or the Universal Bill of Human Rights.

Is this trend a bad thing? Is it tragic for nations to lose their independence and revoke their sovereignty to huge international bodies like the UN or EU? Or is it a positive trend? Do the benefits of international concert and cooperation outweigh the need for freedom on a national scale?

Discuss.

Very bad thing.
We the CEO's, in order to form a more perfect cash cow!