Movies

The murder scene thread

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Conflict On March 25, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Mar 03, 2020 @ 14:43:47
I've decided to create this thread because there are a couple of muders in films that do not make sense to me. I'd like your help to better understand them. In turn, I'd certainly help you understand any you are puzzled by or have trouble coming to terms with.

I'd like to begin with Nana's murder in Master Z: the Legacy of Ip Man. Kit, the man responsible, forces her to overdose on heroin, killing her. Let's see if we can put together the reason for why he did it.

The scene begins with Nana trying to steal cocaine from a deposit of Kit's. His men find out and they stop her. Kit arrives on the scene and his men tell him she was trying to steal from them. He responds by opening a packet of heroin and then offering it to Nana. Nana decides to try and flee the scene, but he stops her and smudges the cocaine in her face. She shoves him violently, backing away and pointing at him angrily and cursing at him. His response is telling his men to hold Nana, while he opens another packet and forces the content into her mouth, holding it shut for a while and then he and his men leave Nana by herself. This leads to a fatal overdose.

What was the motive for this murder?
mrmhead On about 17 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Mar 03, 2020 @ 17:43:31
Set an example / Enforce the power over others.

I presume Kit is a dealer / drug lord / gang or mob boss

Nana is ...? friend, lover, mule ? It doesn't matter. Message sent.
Darkman666 On about 16 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Mar 03, 2020 @ 19:42:37
since i never saw this movie.

this scene, that you describe without sort of dialog for the why the murder, i have no clue.

if this person was killed at the beginning of the movie. there is flashbacks of why the murder during the rest of the movie, that would help.

what you describe of the scene doesn't explain anything except how they killed the person.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#4New Post! Mar 04, 2020 @ 13:53:38
@mrmhead Said

Set an example / Enforce the power over others.

I presume Kit is a dealer / drug lord / gang or mob boss

Nana is ...? friend, lover, mule ? It doesn't matter. Message sent.

Kit ran an opium den which he would later use to deal in heroin as well.

Nana is an opium addict who got into trouble with Kit at the begining of the film because she didn't pay the interest he wanted for her latest dose. Nana's friend Julia and Master Zhao came to her rescue, driving off Kit and his band.

She was already a familiar face to him, so the element of the unknown wasn't in the story at the point she tried to steal the heroin.

I was wondering if Kit might have let her live after smudging the heroin in her face if she hadn't shoved him. Did he want her to take a sniff of the heroin when he offered it to her, or was all this a build-up to the murder?
chaski On about 5 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#5New Post! Mar 04, 2020 @ 17:25:12
"What was the motive for this murder?"

>>> Nana tried to steal cocaine from Kit. <<<

Drug dealers are notoriously famous for not being very forgiving of people who steal their drugs and/or their money. In this case, the cocaine (i.e. drugs) equal profits... i.e. money... i.e. wealth.. In addition, if one of your people steal from you (the drug dealer) that person can no longer be trusted... so, if that person ever gets arrested the assumption is that they will likely turn on you... give evidence to the police... or turn on you and help one of your competitor drug lords.... Thus, in addition to the attempt to steal the drugs (i.e. profits) we now have a situation where there is a loss of trust, in a world where if things go wrong you end up dead or in prison.

So, to recap: "What was the motive for this murder?"

1. The attempted theft of Kit's drugs (i.e.) profits.

AND

2. Kit's loss of trust in one of his people.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Mar 04, 2020 @ 19:16:23
I never fail to be amused by movie gunfights that take place in suburban streets in the middle of the night, where more ammunition is spent in 30 seconds than the entire siege of Stalingrad.......

..... and nobody in any other house in the street even twitches its curtains.

The last man standing then calmly saunters away down the road and disappears leaving a mountain of forensic evidence behind which for some reason, nobody gathers and investigates.

With that level of indifference, establishing a motive seems somewhat pointless.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#7New Post! Mar 04, 2020 @ 21:24:03
@chaski Said

"What was the motive for this murder?"

>>> Nana tried to steal cocaine from Kit. <<<

Drug dealers are notoriously famous for not being very forgiving of people who steal their drugs and/or their money. In this case, the cocaine (i.e. drugs) equal profits... i.e. money... i.e. wealth.. In addition, if one of your people steal from you (the drug dealer) that person can no longer be trusted... so, if that person ever gets arrested the assumption is that they will likely turn on you... give evidence to the police... or turn on you and help one of your competitor drug lords.... Thus, in addition to the attempt to steal the drugs (i.e. profits) we now have a situation where there is a loss of trust, in a world where if things go wrong you end up dead or in prison.

So, to recap: "What was the motive for this murder?"

1. The attempted theft of Kit's drugs (i.e.) profits.

AND

2. Kit's loss of trust in one of his people.

Noted for future reference. Thank you for the input.

Now, I would like to understand why Kit offered Nana the heroin. Was this a genuine compromise, or merely a taunting gesture? Nana looked at it and tried to run away. Was she afraid of what might have happened had she taken it? The scene is multilayered and only culminates in the murder of Nana after what appeared to be a series of events that tied into a central one. As a now copyrighted aspiring screenwriter, I want to understand the thought process that went into this idea.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Mar 04, 2020 @ 22:35:58
this plot of the movie, it might might understand what conflict getting at, the plot is simply. it was 6.7 on imb. it would a 3 1/2 stars out of 4 stars.

master z: ip man legacy

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Mar 04, 2020 @ 23:00:46
the impress in the plot that probably indirectly nana trying get high most of the time. with her death, Cheung Tin Chi seem got involve to seek out the killer of his friend. but he get involve destroying something more a simply killing, in the long run.

the answer to the question to the topic:

that nana killing made her martyr.
Stalker

#10New Post! Mar 04, 2020 @ 23:42:19
@Conflict Said

Noted for future reference. Thank you for the input.

Now, I would like to understand why Kit offered Nana the heroin. Was this a genuine compromise, or merely a taunting gesture? Nana looked at it and tried to run away. Was she afraid of what might have happened had she taken it? The scene is multilayered and only culminates in the murder of Nana after what appeared to be a series of events that tied into a central one. As a now copyrighted aspiring screenwriter, I want to understand the thought process that went into this idea.

My guess is that it was a test; will she take this far more powerful drug, thus proving she is a lost drug addict who can't be trusted. Or, will she reject is in hopes to prove her worth to Kit. Likely he would have killed her either way, but since she grabbed the heroin, she clearly failed the test, was untrustworthy, a lost drug addict, a liability so deserved to die.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Mar 05, 2020 @ 00:12:01
mostly, kinds of movies are about the same.

for examples, death wish or the sting is a good examples.

death wish is a bussiness man, who's wife to get murdered by home evasion. in time, chalie bronson let the law handle, but no lead and they gave up. charlie revenge and as well, as avenger of death and justice.

the sting - two friends get with revenge on a booking racket kingpin for killing their friend.

with master z movie, nana was probably and mostly like going get killed. either way. no test was set up for them to kill her as a simply drug overdoes. the police would think she was another victim over drugs. no lose, case close.

enter: master z
Stalker

#12New Post! Mar 05, 2020 @ 00:56:53
One night a good friend of mine and I decided to listen to songs of murder. This one started the night…
mrmhead On about 17 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#14New Post! Mar 06, 2020 @ 15:59:49
@darkman666 Said

death wish is a bussiness man, who's wife to get murdered by home evasion. in time, chalie bronson let the law handle, but no lead and they gave up. charlie revenge and as well, as avenger of death and justice.

Wait ...
I thought that was Road to Perdition

Or was it one of those Liam Neeson flicks.

... or was that John Wick

... or ...

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs