The latest "Generation Gap"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#1New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 09:40:11
That's what they used to call it. When one generation changes over to another, and the older ones don't want to change, and don't understand the younger ones, and the younger ones don't get into the older ones.

Now you have people who grew up in the 60's, and 70's and 80's. who are treated like morons by those who grew up after that.

You have to understand -- they did not have all this digital, push-button s***, but that doesn't make them idiots.

A lot of older people are looking at the younger people going "wtf"?

I don't know what I'm trying to say here, but I feel like younger people are treating older people like they are idiots. And older people are just not understanding how younger people can not know about anything but sex, and games and celebrities -- and nothing else.

Does anyone else have a clue about what I'm trying to express here?
Falsifying On December 19, 2013
Google is watching.

Austin, Texas
#2New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 09:43:22
That the increased rate of technological breakthroughs has widened the generation gap?

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#3New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 09:52:40
I don't know.

All my life, I've been someone who loved outdoors, camping, cloud-watching, walking, talking, camping, music, thinking, cooking out, friends.

This newer generation seems to be all about watching TV, or text-messaging, new gadgets, talking about sex, but none of them seems to want to just be themselves, slow down, or be real.

Maybe I'm just not hanging with the right people lately. I just don't understand these younger people. It's like they don't know how to slow down, or talk or just enjoy living. (at least where i live).

50 freaking text-messages an hour -- is flipping weird to me. Are they so insecure -- this is what assures them that other people love them? What is the point of giving and getting all these text messages that say NOTHING? "hey"... "what u doing"? "nothing" "u?" "nothing" "talking to amber" "talking to crystal" "are u horny?" "gonna get some" "me too, maybe"

I mean this s*** is moronic. How can people before the text-message generation understand this?
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 09:53:19
@4000Earthquakes Said
younger people can not know about anything but sex, and games and celebrities -- and nothing else.

I can't speak for every young person but I like to think I know alot more than just those things, everyone is different. You can't lump all young people in the same boat. I know some older people that are pig ignorant and are only interested what goes on in their own little world, one of my friends dads doesn't even watch the news because he says it's boring and 'nothing to do with him' and he's 40's
Google is watching.

Austin, Texas
#5New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 09:57:53
Yes, people who text message are probably insecure.
But I wouldn't know since I don't own a cell phone.
So I usually communicate by actually speaking to someone in person.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#6New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:00:45
You are right about that, Sparkly. You can't lump them all.

I can relate to your friends dad.
I think if we didn't watch the news or read the paper, life would be just fine. We let ourselves be convinced by the media -- that the world is coming to an end.

I hope you have real friends that you can talk to.

Maybe I'm just getting older, and finding it harder to adjust.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#7New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:03:50
@Falsifying Said

Yes, people who text message are probably insecure.
But I wouldn't know since I don't own a cell phone.
So I usually communicate by actually speaking to someone in person.

I kind of think that is the deal.
Like, they get their sense of being loved or popular, by people texting them just to say "hi".

It makes them feel so important to get calls constantly -- in front of other people.

I could be wrong, but I really do think it's a sense of self-assurance they crave, and getting constant phone-calls -- makes them look like they are loved and appreciated by many.

I don't know.
Google is watching.

Austin, Texas
#8New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:11:27
@4000Earthquakes Said

I kind of think that is the deal.
Like, they get their sense of being loved or popular, by people texting them just to say "hi".

It makes them feel so important to get calls constantly -- in front of other people.

I could be wrong, but I really do think it's a sense of self-assurance they crave, and getting constant phone-calls -- makes them look like they are loved and appreciated by many.

I don't know.

That is one possible reason.
I will admit that the feeling of having many people trying to get my attention does make me feel important.

I think that people who text don't have the ability to hold a conversation.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:11:43
@4000Earthquakes Said
I hope you have real friends that you can talk to.

Lol yeah I do, I do text maybe 10-20 times a day but we regularly meet up and have a proper conversation over a meal or a few drinks.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#10New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:20:04
@Falsifying Said

That is one possible reason.
I will admit that the feeling of having many people trying to get my attention does make me feel important.

I think that people who text don't have the ability to hold a conversation.

I respect you for being able to admit that.
I'll bet a lot of young people who do this non-stop texting bulls*** -- might look at their reason for doing that, and recognize, this is why they do it.

It's a sense of self-assurance they shouldn't need to get from an electronic device. They should have enough self-esteem that getting 20 phone calls a day (in front of everyone else) should not be their public proof of self-worth.

But this is what it is. We never got this s*** when we were younger, and we were fine. Has this generation been so neglected by their parents, shoved off into day-care, and raising themselves, while both parents worked -- that this is how they have to compensate now?

I should have been a psychologist.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#11New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:33:25
@4000Earthquakes Said

I don't know what I'm trying to say here, but I feel like younger people are treating older people like they are idiots. And older people are just not understanding how younger people

I Am not sure which generation or decade you 'belong' in because your profile says you are 100 years old, and I am pretty sure that is a bit of a falsehood..
But , I am this year turning 49 this year . And those exact words you have used in your OP are the exact words that 'older' people have been saying about the 'younger people' and 'vica versa' since the end of WW2.

What I find amazing is the 'young people' that my grandparents didn't understand and thought to be only interested in that awful music that sounded like anything but music ( early rock and roll better known as rockabilly) was the same people that raised the young ones that they found so alien but when you think about it, people my grandparents age went all the way through school to the 8th grade and unless their families were well to do that was it for any formal education. While their kids (my parents) went to 12th grade and some collage, my grandparents were born ,raised and never left the farm/ranch they never knew anything else. while their kids left to go to collage or the military and most only came back for
visits. Then there came the time when my parents t said the exact same words about me and my peers, " what the hell is that noise your listening to ? it sounds like some poor soul is being tortured, ( 70's and 80's rock ) and by then this technology of computers were making it into our daily lives with stereos, surround sound , every house had at least one TV sometimes more, and nintendo etc... what we were learning in school by the 9th and 10th grades they hadn't started until collage. and then there came the time I caught myself looking at my kids and hearing that crap they were swearing was music , ( rap , Cindie lauper, ) and so it goes .
I have decided what the deal is , is this, with each generation we strive to 'better' our children's lives and we are so busy working with that goal in mind that one day we stop and look up and they have it so much 'better/different then we ever did that we don't recognize anything being even vaguely similar to what we knew/know. IMO.

We older people that grew up 'before text messaging don't really need to 'understand it' because we have lived all these years with out thinking we needed it to get though our day. So text messaging really has no real place or value in our day to day lives. I bet if you tried just a minute to think back ,you would recall something that you can't imagine not having to get though your day that never had any value to the 'older' people in your younger years.
My grandfather had a saying
" don't worry little luxury, you will soon be necessity" for him it was electric lights and indoor plumbing.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#12New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:42:22
@iwannano Said

I Am not sure which generation or decade you 'belong' in because your profile says you are 100 years old, and I am pretty sure that is a bit of a falsehood..
But , I am this year turning 49 this year . And those exact words you have used in your OP are the exact words that 'older' people have been saying about the 'younger people' and 'vica versa' since the end of WW2.

What I find amazing is the 'young people' that my grandparents didn't understand and thought to be only interested in that awful music that sounded like anything but music ( early rock and roll better known as rockabilly) was the same people that raised the young ones that they found so alien but when you think about it, people my grandparents age went all the way through school to the 8th grade and unless their families were well to do that was it for any formal education. While their kids (my parents) went to 12th grade and some collage, my grandparents were born ,raised and never left the farm/ranch they never knew anything else. while their kids left to go to collage or the military and most only came back for
visits. Then there came the time when my parents t said the exact same words about me and my peers, " what the hell is that noise your listening to ? it sounds like some poor soul is being tortured, ( 70's and 80's rock ) and by then this technology of computers were making it into our daily lives with stereos, surround sound , every house had at least one TV sometimes more, and nintendo etc... what we were learning in school by the 9th and 10th grades they hadn't started until collage. and then there came the time I caught myself looking at my kids and hearing that crap they were swearing was music , ( rap , Cindie lauper, ) and so it goes .
I have decided what the deal is , is this, with each generation we strive to 'better' our children's lives and we are so busy working with that goal in mind that one day we stop and look up and they have it so much 'better/different then we ever did that we don't recognize anything being even vaguely similar to what we knew/know. IMO.

We older people that grew up 'before text messaging don't really need to 'understand it' because we have lived all these years with out thinking we needed it to get though our day. So text messaging really has no real place or value in our day to day lives. I bet if you tried just a minute to think back ,you would recall something that you can't imagine not having to get though your day that never had any value to the 'older' people in your younger years.
My grandfather had a saying
" don't worry little luxury, you will soon be necessity" for him it was electric lights and indoor plumbing.

I leave my age blank -- because I tend to want to get along with anyone of any generation, without age being a factor. I think it puts up walls, and I think you know this.

If I said I was 23, you would automatically think "we cannot relate" and if I said I was 63 -- you'd think I was "old".

FYI -- I'm 52. And I listen to nothing but the hardest-ass rock there is. All the new s***. So you can't say I've closed my mind to new music. I love it. Unlike some old farts.

I can't explain anyone who would live in the past music, because we've heard it all a thousand times. It's time to move on. Blow my brains out with great freaking guitar, drums, and screaming. But still i like the old s***.

There is a commandment that says "Honor your father and mother". I truly think this is wisdom meant to bridge the gaps, always.

I appreciate your effort to write all that. It shows some indepth thought into this subject.
GoblintheGoblin On March 01, 2010
Kneel before Zod!

Deleted

swansea, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:49:29
there are shallow old people and there are shallow young people on the flip side there are interesting old people and interesting young people. in my job i see people of all ages and interests the other day i met a reasonably intelligent person of around 50 who didn't know the sun was a star and why? ignorance or possibly apathy. i like to think i have a healthy attitude to the world around me and am always trying to learn something new. in short we are all different.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#14New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 10:54:33
@goblinthegoblin Said

there are shallow old people and there are shallow young people on the flip side there are interesting old people and interesting young people. in my job i see people of all ages and interests the other day i met a reasonably intelligent person of around 50 who didn't know the sun was a star and why? ignorance or possibly apathy. i like to think i have a healthy attitude to the world around me and am always trying to learn something new. in short we are all different.

I notice kids today -- that tend to blow me off -- because they see that I am older. They do not know that I've had a life they would only dream of, that I've seen things they could not imagine. They treat me as if I'm unimportant -- because I'm "older".

I never treated older people that way when I was younger. I was curious about what they had seen. I wanted to talk to them. And now when I'm older, I don't see a lot of respect -- on the flip side.

I think I'm trying to tell kids -- respect those people that are older than you, that have wrinkles on their faces. We are not retarded.

God bless you for being kind to anyone, and understanding -- we all have something to teach and enjoy from each other.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Feb 04, 2009 @ 11:15:16
I think there have always been differences between one generation and another but, although I was very different from my parents (I was a teenager in the 70s), there is an even bigger difference between my kids (14 and 12) and I. I think one of the reasons is that there have been so many new developments in a relatively short time (technology, for instance) that the world seems completely changed since the 70s. If I wasn't au fait with computers through training I wouldn't have a clue what my kids were on about half the time. Also, children and teenagers seem to grow up much faster now. My daughter is much more mature than I remember being at her age. I suppose that it is healthy that the generations have differences as long as they try and respect each other.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs