News & Current Events

The dark age of wilful ignorance

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 30, 2020 @ 07:44:09
I've lifted the topic title from Electric Banana's Journal on Evolution. Chaski used the phrase.

That age is upon us! Maybe a "eurocentric" view, but in the immediate world around me there seems much evidence.

The "information age" and so much of it that we can treat Reality itself as a type of Supermarket, picking and choosing the soundbites suitable to shore up our pre-conditioned awareness and prejudices.

Long gone the "examined life" advocated by Socrates, and applying ignorance to that ......."look how he ended up!"

I think I could waffle on but maybe others have opinions.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jul 30, 2020 @ 12:40:20
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 30, 2020 @ 14:25:43
The Oxford Dictionaries define “post-truth” as “relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.”

I just downloaded a sample of a book, "Post Truth" by Lee McIntyre, and in the introduction it quoted the following exchange between Newt Gingrich (who was a surrogate for Trump at the time) and CNN reporter Alisyn Camerota, this soon after Donald Trump's election:-

CAMEROTA Violent crime is down. The economy is ticking up.

GINGRICH It is not down in the biggest cities.

CAMEROTA Violent crime, murder rate is down. It is down.

GINGRICH Then how come it’s up in Chicago and up in Baltimore and up in Washington?

CAMEROTA There are pockets where certainly we are not tackling murder.

GINGRICH Your national capital, your third biggest city—

CAMEROTA But violent crime across the country is down.

GINGRICH The average American, I will bet you this morning, does not think crime is down, does not think we are safer.

CAMEROTA But it is. We are safer and it is down.

GINGRICH No, that’s just your view.

CAMEROTA It’s a fact. These are the national FBI facts.

GINGRICH But what I said is also a fact. … The current view is that liberals have a whole set of statistics that theoretically may be right, but it’s not where human beings are.

CAMEROTA But what you’re saying is, but hold on Mr. Speaker because you’re saying liberals use these numbers, they use this sort of magic math. These are the FBI statistics. They’re not a liberal organization. They’re a crime-fighting organization.

GINGRICH No, but what I said is equally true. People feel more threatened.

CAMEROTA Feel it, yes. They feel it, but the facts don’t support it.

GINGRICH As a political candidate, I’ll go with how people feel and let you go with the theoreticians.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs