The circle of life

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Apr 21, 2018 @ 01:36:55
In the family of beetles known as "Ladybird", "Ladybug", and "Lady beetle", i.e. Coccinellidae, the circle of life includes the life stages of adults, larvae, pupa, and back to adult...etc.

The larvae stage looks, to me, as some alien creature from Star Trek that might be crammed into you brain by way of your ear canal...

The pupa looks like a snail with some issues... sort of...

And the adult looks like a sweet little bug.

The reality is that the larvae, somewhat like the Star Trek analogy, is a voracious feeder... but of aphids not brains.
The pupa is slower than a snail...it doesn't move...at least not much.
The adult is not sweet, if you are its prey, which are typically things like aphids.

This might be an alternative view to life after death as compared to the caterpillar-butterfly analogy.

twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Apr 21, 2018 @ 01:49:10
you mean " star trek: the wrath of kahn " and also, " the night galley " had an episode about similar creature, I think it was an ' earthworm '.

most of people don't know that ladybugs taste good with little salt on a ritz cracker.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Apr 21, 2018 @ 14:05:37
@chaski Said

In the family of beetles known as "Ladybird", "Ladybug", and "Lady beetle", i.e. Coccinellidae, the circle of life includes the life stages of adults, larvae, pupa, and back to adult...etc.

The larvae stage looks, to me, as some alien creature from Star Trek that might be crammed into you brain by way of your ear canal...

The pupa looks like a snail with some issues... sort of...

And the adult looks like a sweet little bug.

The reality is that the larvae, somewhat like the Star Trek analogy, is a voracious feeder... but of aphids not brains.
The pupa is slower than a snail...it doesn't move...at least not much.
The adult is not sweet, if you are its prey, which are typically things like aphids.

This might be an alternative view to life after death as compared to the caterpillar-butterfly analogy.

Interesting that the larvae and adult eat the same thing.

The adults will also bite you to see if you're a big aphid.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Apr 21, 2018 @ 14:59:52
the difference between when insects bite you and an adult bite you?

the insect bite you, the insect doesn't charge for assault.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#5New Post! Apr 21, 2018 @ 16:33:52
@twilitezone911 Said

the difference between when insects bite you and an adult bite you?

the insect bite you, the insect doesn't charge for assault.

>Groan<

#6New Post! Apr 21, 2018 @ 16:59:18
Circle of life

#7New Post! Apr 21, 2018 @ 17:10:21
JArnold328689 On July 05, 2020

Ben Wheeler, Texas
#8New Post! Apr 25, 2018 @ 15:23:03
Is it sad that the first thing that came to my mind when i read the topic was the lion kings opening song.

#9New Post! Apr 25, 2018 @ 17:09:45
@JArnold328689 Said

Is it sad that the first thing that came to my mind when i read the topic was the lion kings opening song.

me too
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#10New Post! Apr 25, 2018 @ 17:41:41
Chaski's probably gonna hate me for this, but...

...back when I was a little stinker, at the after-school building there were a bunch of bushes and some maple trees where there'd be a ton of ladybugs all the time. Me and a few other kids saw the ladybug larvae and didn't know what they were, until one of the staff members told us what it was (up until that point, I was calling them 'thingy-things' and the name somehow stuck).

So, knowing now that they were actually pre-ladybugs, me and the other kids got the brilliant idea to let them crawl up on the tip of our fingers, hold them up, recite the magical phrase "Thingy-Thing! Thingy-Thing! Fly away home!!!" and then flick them off our fingers into the bushes.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#11New Post! Apr 25, 2018 @ 17:45:20
@psycoskunk Said

Chaski's probably gonna hate me for this, but...

...back when I was a little stinker, at the after-school building there were a bunch of bushes and some maple trees where there'd be a ton of ladybugs all the time. Me and a few other kids saw the ladybug larvae and didn't know what they were, until one of the staff members told us what it was (up until that point, I was calling them 'thingy-things' and the name somehow stuck).

So, knowing now that they were actually pre-ladybugs, me and the other kids got the brilliant idea to let them crawl up on the tip of our fingers, hold them up, recite the magical phrase "Thingy-Thing! Thingy-Thing! Fly away home!!!" and then flick them off our fingers into the bushes.

chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#12New Post! Apr 26, 2018 @ 16:29:21
And in other breaking circle of life stories....

My cat chased another cat over a wall...a coyote then chased my cat up a tree... my cat then chased a bird around the tree... and later my cat got meds that chased away fleas...

The Circle of Life News Speculation has it that the fleas will soon be chasing me...

mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! Apr 26, 2018 @ 16:59:46
@chaski Said

My cat chased another cat over a wall...a coyote then chased my cat up a tree... my cat then chased a bird around the tree... and later my cat got meds that chased away fleas...

The Circle of Life News Speculation has it that the fleas will soon be chasing me...

You wanna talk about a chain reaction:
This happened a few summers ago.

My neighbor started up his lawn mower, which scared a squirrel out of his yard and into mine, and my dog chased the squirrel up the pine tree. My dogs' barking scared the young robin that was a nest in the pine tree. The young robin flew across the yard into another tree where a blue jay nest was. And the blue jay started attacking the young robin. So I was trying to get the robin on a broom stick to get it back to it's nest while the blue jay (or two?) attacked me an the robin.

I got the robin back, the dog shut up, the jays calmed down, and the neighbor continued mowing the lawn while I enjoyed more bourbon.

All's well that ends well.

#14New Post! Apr 26, 2018 @ 17:52:34
@chaski Said

>chuckle<

#15New Post! Apr 26, 2018 @ 17:57:38
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs