Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...21 22 23 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#16New Post! Oct 25, 2014 @ 16:14:56
Nice to see Munster knocking over Saracens

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#17New Post! Nov 08, 2014 @ 17:07:39
"...it is probable that Team GB will be represented by England in Rio.

Is that really fair, though..?

...But it will exclude Scots and Welshmen the opportunity to take part in the Olympic Games...

Thoughts, anybody..?"

Two things.
1. I dont believe that rugby should be played at the olympics. For me no sport should be played at the olympics unless the sport is played at a decent level by a number of countries, and unless the olympics is the ultimate competition for that sport. Rugby 7's is not the ultimate expression of rugby and nor are the olympics the biggest stage for rugby...that stage is the RWC. So either have a qualifying stage and send the best 8 test teams to the olympics (which could rival the RWC for prestige) or dont worry about it. As an aside, based on my criteria sports like tennis and football wouldnt be played at the olympics.

2. Re england (most likely)representing the UK with Scottish players missing out...well the Scots chose not to be an independent country but rather to remain in a country that is, always has been and always will be, totally dominated by the english...their choice so they have to suck it up.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#18New Post! Nov 08, 2014 @ 17:10:47
Another entertaining test match btw Cymru and Australia...unreal how close the matches have been in recent years. Indeed, since 2011 Cymru and Australia have met 8 times with the winning margin only once being by more than 5 pts (and even then the margin was only 8 pts).

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#19New Post! Nov 08, 2014 @ 17:11:46
a decent effort by the poms against the All Blacks. The poms must be sick of the kiwis at the minute though after narrow losses in both the rugby codes on the same day to the same team.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Dec 02, 2014 @ 20:39:06
Things looking up in Scottish rugby, though that wasn't exactly hard considering where we were. More excitingly, things looking peachy for Glasgow Warriors. With the international players back Glasgow have got back to winning ways. Hope the momentum of the Autumn Internationals and the win against Bath continue.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#21New Post! Dec 06, 2014 @ 17:08:57
It is good to see the improvement with Scotland. I hope they continue to improve in the lead up to the next world cup.

Top effort by the Irish lads in recent times and congrats to the Welsh in their win over the boks. It was only a matter of time before they claimed a southern scalp...but who can beat the AB's?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Dec 17, 2014 @ 19:11:58
@shadowen Said

"...it is probable that Team GB will be represented by England in Rio.

Is that really fair, though..?

...But it will exclude Scots and Welshmen the opportunity to take part in the Olympic Games...

Thoughts, anybody..?"

Two things.
1. I dont believe that rugby should be played at the olympics. For me no sport should be played at the olympics unless the sport is played at a decent level by a number of countries, and unless the olympics is the ultimate competition for that sport. Rugby 7's is not the ultimate expression of rugby and nor are the olympics the biggest stage for rugby...that stage is the RWC. So either have a qualifying stage and send the best 8 test teams to the olympics (which could rival the RWC for prestige) or dont worry about it. As an aside, based on my criteria sports like tennis and football wouldnt be played at the olympics.

2. Re england (most likely)representing the UK with Scottish players missing out...well the Scots chose not to be an independent country but rather to remain in a country that is, always has been and always will be, totally dominated by the english...their choice so they have to suck it up.

Section in italics copied from Wiki

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) establishes a hierarchy of sports, disciplines, and events. According to this hierarchy, the Olympic sports can be subdivided into multiple disciplines, which are often assumed to be distinct sports. Examples include swimming and water polo (disciplines of Aquatics, represented by the International Swimming Federation), or figure skating and speed skating (disciplines of Skating, represented by the International Skating Union).

In their turn, disciplines can be subdivided into events, for which medals are actually awarded.

A sport or discipline is included in the Olympic program if the IOC determines it is widely practiced around the world, that is, the number of countries that compete in a given sport is the indicator of the sport's prevalence. The IOC's requirements reflect participation in the Olympic Games as well—more stringent toward men (as they are represented in higher numbers) and Summer sports (as more nations compete in the Summer Olympics).

In the light of the above, There are two things worth pointing out here in response to Shadeowen's comments.

Firstly, Rugby Union IS widely played around the world at international level. It is played on the continents of Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and all across the Pacific Islands and including Japan. That's a pretty wide spread of participation.

Secondly, the 7's game is a sub-division of Rugby Union and is sanctioned by the International Rugby Board (IRB) and as such it qualifies as an appropriate sport for Olympic Participation.

I agree that a XV's tournament would be more desirable but given the intense physicality of Rugby Union, the need for adequate recovery periods between matches and the relative short duration of the Olympic Games, a XV's tournament is simply not viable. 7's is therefore the logical showcase for the game.

As for Last Wave of Summer calling it all an English conspiracy, he should be grateful there won't be a XV's tournament.... to have one would mean Australia having to scrummage and as we all saw at Twickenham a couple of weeks ago, Aussies can't scrum. <wink>

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#23New Post! Dec 21, 2014 @ 13:04:56
@Jennifer1984 Said

Section in italics copied from Wiki

The International Olympic Committee...

Umm, so why are you quoting wiki at me? I didnt say under IOC regulations rugby shouldn't be in the world cup. I simply said that IN MY OPINION rugby 7's shouldn't be an olympic sport and i explained why. And as a big rugby fan i am very aware of how widespread rugby is and how popular it is in a number of countries.

As an aside, the IOC determine what sports are in the olympics and what arent based largely on financial considerations. TV revenue and sponsorship in particular. And the US provides the most amount of money in this area and so it is the US tv watcher (in particular so called 'middle america' that determine what sports are in and out. This is why we have 'sports' like rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming plus the reason why golf and tennis are in...
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Dec 23, 2014 @ 15:34:02
@shadowen Said

Umm, so why are you quoting wiki at me? I didnt say under IOC regulations rugby shouldn't be in the world cup. I simply said that IN MY OPINION rugby 7's shouldn't be an olympic sport and i explained why. And as a big rugby fan i am very aware of how widespread rugby is and how popular it is in a number of countries.

As an aside, the IOC determine what sports are in the olympics and what arent based largely on financial considerations. TV revenue and sponsorship in particular. And the US provides the most amount of money in this area and so it is the US tv watcher (in particular so called 'middle america' that determine what sports are in and out. This is why we have 'sports' like rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming plus the reason why golf and tennis are in...

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that. However, I was countering your argument with MY opinion and given that to date you're the only person who has participated in this thread, I thought you might appreciate a bit of input to make discussion with. But if you want a monologue with yourself, fair enough. Just say so and you can go back to talking in an empty room.

I wouldn't disagree with your second paragraph. We all know that, f'rinstance, Basketball only made a comeback in order to provide an easy gold medal for the US "Dream Team".

Be that as it may, it doesn't mean that the interests of the Middle America should, in practice, be the ONLY criteria. Other sports can lobby for inclusion and in the case of Rugby Union, it appears to have been successful.

Rather, I would hope that the Rugby Union of USA will grasp the nettle, take international participation seriously and set to task on becoming more competitive. "The Eagles" have been on the fringes of Rugby Union for some time now but in the Autumn, there was a full house at Soldier Field in Chicago to see USA vs New Zealand. The match resulted in the predicted rout but I think many Americans, who were experiencing watching Rugby Union for the first time were entertained and impressed by what they saw. I hope their appetite was whetted for more.

I'm glad Rugby Union is now an Olympic sport and I hope GB can do themselves proud. I would much rather though, that the team was representative of Great Britain as a whole. I'm not happy about the way the qualification criteria has been set.

It's not about the winning. It's about the taking part.
last_wave_of_summer On May 06, 2023

Canberra, Australia
#25New Post! Dec 24, 2014 @ 10:40:16
I reckon all the sports that make it into game deserve too be there in their own right. Rio does seem a bit of a strange games to be introducing RU to the program considering Brazil isn't exactly a Union strong hold but it does give countries like NZ and SA a stronger chance of featuring in the medals which would help the Olympics grow in those markets.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#26New Post! Dec 27, 2014 @ 01:31:54
Ok jennifer, i am happy for you (and others) to express an opinion and it doesnt worry me at all if said opinions are significantly diferent to mine. If you had have said something like "i believe" or "in my opinion_ instead of just quoting wiki at me then things would have been clearer. You could even have said "i agree with the ioc's selection criteria which is" and then quoted wiki.

Anyway, i love rugby union but i still dont think it should be in the olympics. I think the olympics have moved too far away from wha they were originally meant to be. Yes it's about participating and winning at all costs should have no place at the olympics (or in any sporting event). But a large part of the olympics is about finding out who is best at a particular sport at that moment in time. The olympics should therefore be the pinnacle sporting competition for any sports taking place. How is it fair that rowers, track and field athletes, swimmers etc train and sacrifice for years just to give themselves the chance to do their best at the olympics which means everything to them when at the same time athletes from other sports dont really care how they go and dont even prepare specifically for the games? Ask any basketballer what would be the ultimate dream for them and it would be winning an NBA title, for tennis players its about the grand slams, for footballers it's the world cup, golfers it's the majors and for rugby players it's the rugby world cup...

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#27New Post! Jan 20, 2015 @ 15:40:51
Looking forward to the start of the 6 nations
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Jan 20, 2015 @ 17:14:10
@shadowen Said

Ok jennifer, i am happy for you (and others) to express an opinion and it doesnt worry me at all if said opinions are significantly diferent to mine. If you had have said something like "i believe" or "in my opinion_ instead of just quoting wiki at me then things would have been clearer. You could even have said "i agree with the ioc's selection criteria which is" and then quoted wiki.

Well, thank you so much for informing me that you're happy for me to express my opinion.... and one of my own, too..!! I'm so grateful to you for your kind permission.

I'm also thankful that you've shown this poor, old-world illiterate girl, who clearly doesn't know her place, how to make my posts, so that they meet with your exacting standards.

Am I allowed to make some comments about the Six Nations, please? After all, it is the competition that takes part in the bit of the world that I live in, although I'm quite sure that our cloth-eared, forward obsessed game, lacking the graceful, flowing running lines of the far superior southern hemisphere version, must seem very primitive to your lofty self.

I've typed up a piece about the 6N on my word processor when I've had a bit of time here and there, and I'd very much like to post it on here, although I can PM it to you first if you'd like to give it your approval. I wouldn't want to say anything out of turn again.

Thank you for your kind consideration in reading this. I look forward to your reply.

If I'm worthy.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#29New Post! Jan 21, 2015 @ 01:35:58
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#30New Post! Jan 21, 2015 @ 01:56:22
so absurd that the draw for the RWC was made back on on 3 December 2012...for a comp that doesnt start until bloody mid september 2015!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...21 22 23 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs