Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Jul 06, 2020 @ 05:36:25
@dookie Said

Maybe if we had at least some insight into how we ARE interacting with others we would realise that most things we are prepared to die for are empty slogans.

The human race is made up of people and all the time that is the case, there will be confrontation.

In my opinion it's perfectly acceptable to 'call somebody out' when they say things with which I vehemently disagree for perfectly valid and moral reasons. The actual words used express the level of that disagreement.

We would all like to be nice to each other. But would a point being made have any impact if it were tiptoed around by being written with less vehemence...?

As we all know, only a small part of personal human interaction is verbal. In a face to face conversation it is easy to be polite, well mannered and even softly spoken because our facial expression, tone and other forms of body language express the level of feeling that we're putting into our remarks.

A good point, well made even in the softest of tones has to be responded to almost immediately. The respondent can be made to wriggle on the hook quite easily with good argument. But in a forum, he can go away... think about it.... prepare a reply..... check and edit it before clicking 'send'. And we've seen how some people can be obtuse in constantly repeating the same old, same old, many times. In a forum, it is possible to set a default position to deflect any argument that you otherwise can't handle.

In a medium such as a forum, only the written word exists. There is no physical nuance to emphasise a point. For this reason, the written message has to be unequivocal.

This is not the real world. Real world standards don't apply.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Jul 06, 2020 @ 07:52:12
@Jennifer1984 Said

The human race is made up of people and all the time that is the case, there will be confrontation.

In my opinion it's perfectly acceptable to 'call somebody out' when they say things with which I vehemently disagree for perfectly valid and moral reasons. The actual words used express the level of that disagreement.

We would all like to be nice to each other. But would a point being made have any impact if it were tiptoed around by being written with less vehemence...?

As we all know, only a small part of personal human interaction is verbal. In a face to face conversation it is easy to be polite, well mannered and even softly spoken because our facial expression, tone and other forms of body language express the level of feeling that we're putting into our remarks.

A good point, well made even in the softest of tones has to be responded to almost immediately. The respondent can be made to wriggle on the hook quite easily with good argument. But in a forum, he can go away... think about it.... prepare a reply..... check and edit it before clicking 'send'. And we've seen how some people can be obtuse in constantly repeating the same old, same old, many times. In a forum, it is possible to set a default position to deflect any argument that you otherwise can't handle.

In a medium such as a forum, only the written word exists. There is no physical nuance to emphasise a point. For this reason, the written message has to be unequivocal.

This is not the real world. Real world standards don't apply.

Not seeking to "feign wisdom" nor be pretentious, but for me "enlightenment/salvation/unshakeable deliverance of mind" (call it whatever) is the "bottom line".

Therefore as I see it, there need be no confrontation. It takes two to tango.

I agree that interaction on a Forum is necessarily different from face to face meetings.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Jul 06, 2020 @ 08:33:07
@dookie Said

Not seeking to "feign wisdom" nor be pretentious, but for me "enlightenment/salvation/unshakeable deliverance of mind" (call it whatever) is the "bottom line".

Therefore as I see it, there need be no confrontation. It takes two to tango.

I agree that interaction on a Forum is necessarily different from face to face meetings.

That is a very noble goal and if I thought it were attainable I'd be right there next to you.

Sadly, the world is considerably more down-dirty than that and short of being able to totally insulate oneself from it, I simply strive to look after myself and my family as best I can.

At work and in the company of friends, colleagues, peers and those to whom I have an obligation to conduct myself with certain standards I'm all sweetness and light. You may find that difficult to believe, but it's true.

As we've been doing quotations recently, I'll employ one here. William Shakespeare (Henry V) when given the opportunity to surrender before Agincourt. "Return you to your master and quote me thus. We would not seek a battle as we are, but as we are, we will not shun it."

I don't go looking to pick a fight with anybody, but if there is an issue that has to be dealt with, I won't run away from it."

I don't find you at all pretentious and I enjoy reading your posts. There is much to be learned from them. I guess you're at a stage of life where all the lessons that needed to be learned the hard way have been absorbed and you have the luxury of being able to sit back and observe the world without necessarily having to get involved in the muck and bullets of it anymore.

Seeking enlightenment is a good thing, but if you've ever been spat on in the street outside the nightclub you've just emerged from, you'd understand that enlightenment isn't the name of the game at that moment in time.

When you come out of your house in the morning to find you've had your car and front door spray painted with abuse during the night, it's not easy to think of the person who did it in benign terms.

The sort of people who do these things have to be challenged. They don't understand the 'enlightened approach'. Now, in the instances I mentioned above, my responses were pretty immediate - and lawful, I hasten to add. These weren't the sort of people who listen to reasoned argument. They needed to be made to know they'd done wrong and a quiet, philosophical word wasn't going to do the trick.

As I said - and you agreed - discussion forums are different to the real world, but the mentality of those who have hateful mindsets isn't. The need to challenge these people is just as imperative. It's just done in a different way.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Jul 06, 2020 @ 09:25:44
@Jennifer1984 Said

That is a very noble goal and if I thought it were attainable I'd be right there next to you.

Sadly, the world is considerably more down-dirty than that and short of being able to totally insulate oneself from it, I simply strive to look after myself and my family as best I can.

At work and in the company of friends, colleagues, peers and those to whom I have an obligation to conduct myself with certain standards I'm all sweetness and light. You may find that difficult to believe, but it's true.

As we've been doing quotations recently, I'll employ one here. William Shakespeare (Henry V) when given the opportunity to surrender before Agincourt. "Return you to your master and quote me thus. We would not seek a battle as we are, but as we are, we will not shun it."

I don't go looking to pick a fight with anybody, but if there is an issue that has to be dealt with, I won't run away from it."

I don't find you at all pretentious and I enjoy reading your posts. There is much to be learned from them. I guess you're at a stage of life where all the lessons that needed to be learned the hard way have been absorbed and you have the luxury of being able to sit back and observe the world without necessarily having to get involved in the muck and bullets of it anymore.

Seeking enlightenment is a good thing, but if you've ever been spat on in the street outside the nightclub you've just emerged from, you'd understand that enlightenment isn't the name of the game at that moment in time.

When you come out of your house in the morning to find you've had your car and front door spray painted with abuse during the night, it's not easy to think of the person who did it in benign terms.

The sort of people who do these things have to be challenged. They don't understand the 'enlightened approach'. Now, in the instances I mentioned above, my responses were pretty immediate - and lawful, I hasten to add. These weren't the sort of people who listen to reasoned argument. They needed to be made to know they'd done wrong and a quiet, philosophical word wasn't going to do the trick.

As I said - and you agreed - discussion forums are different to the real world, but the mentality of those who have hateful mindsets isn't. The need to challenge these people is just as imperative. It's just done in a different way.

Well, I can waffle on with the best of them (or should I say the "worst" ) I do not see enlightenment as a "goal", I subscribe to the Mahayana Buddhist teaching of "original enlightenment", thus its more a stripping of what we identify as "self" rather than a striving for accomplishment, more realisation Or in more poetic vein, the journey itself is home.

I am in no way naive, or blind to anything in the world around me. And really, I don't feel I've reached any particular "stage" or absorbed any particular "lesson." Having said that, one thing: - when you see a red hot oven plate you naturally recoil. You know it will burn. Now, there are certain thoughts, ways of thinking, that I KNOW are "suffering". To avoid them is not "love" or "compassion" or any other pseudo ethical stance that I might think "justifies" myself. It is simply self protection. Hatred or whatever can fall away, effortlessly.

"In protecting oneself, one protects others
In protecting others, one protects oneself"

Relationship rather than confrontation.

(Oh, by the way, sitting in Pret A Manger at the moment, having a quiet coffee. Heaven really IS a place on earth....and down to Kent to see my daughter, her hubby, and grandchildren wednesday)
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#35New Post! Jul 06, 2020 @ 12:57:30
@dookie Said

Maybe if we had at least some insight into how we ARE interacting with others we would realise that most things we are prepared to die for are empty slogans.

Life isn't my dream. That's for sure.

Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Jul 06, 2020 @ 13:42:19
An old zen story has popped into my mind relevant to this thread (although the story has many dimensions)

A newly enlightened Westerner is walking around the monastery with an old zen master, who can only speak broken English. When approaching any statue of the Buddha the old master stops, raises his hands in benediction and then bows deeply. The Westerner looks on at this with a degree of disdain and eventually says:- "I say, don't you think we are a bit above that sort of thing now? I think I would just as soon spit at those statues as bow to them." To which the old zen master says: - "OK. You spit. I bow"
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs