The UK Migrant Crisis

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 12:29:42
The UK has the English Channel and therefore no need of a wall. But we still have a "migrant crisis".

Here is an excerpt from my own Facebook Page, which speaks of the "crisis" (as well as other things)

State of the nation UPDATE:- latest count on discarded face-masks, about 5 or 6 wafting in the breeze this morning. Of course, given the lack of adequate street cleaning by our cash strapped local authorities, some of these could be the ones I saw last week. Spotted among them, a reuseable mask - but hey, why bother throwing it in the washing machine when the pavement will do? Saves all the bother. But every cloud has a silver lining they say.......several companies owned by well known Tory Party donors have got the contracts for supplying PPE kit. This includes the guy who gave a donation towards Mr Gove's leadership bid, now rewarded by Mr Gove's very own Government Dept awarding him a lucrative contract. (It's a good job that those brexiteers gave the "establishment" such a good kicking by voting Leave, otherwise the old pals network would still be in full swing)

In the wider world, we continue to find ways of "taking back control" of our borders, with threats of Royal Naval deployment in the English Channel. Let's face it, after our very own RAF bombed Libya, after the arms we have sold Saudi Arabia have blasted the women and children of the Yemen, and after our invasion of Iraq, we can't have human beings seeking to flee those countries trying to come here and jumping on the gravy train. We are far too soft these days. Charity begins at home.

Sorry. Pissed off. Even a chapter of Finnegans Wake is preferable to the cr*p I hear all around me.

Further Comment:- And on the "migrant crisis", here we have the man who speaks of "moral authority", Boris Johnson. Read between the lines, spot the euphemisms.

"We need to look at the means by which they are coming here, we need to stop them, working with the French, we need to stop them from getting across the Channel," Boris Johnson said.

"But number two we need to look at the legal framework that we have, all the panoply of laws that an illegal immigrant has at his or her disposal that allow them to stay here and we need to look at what we can do to change that."

Where is that blanket to pull up over my head?
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 12:57:09
The tragedy is that their is every evidence that generally speaking the UK's immigrant population (such are called ex-pats if they are UK citizens living abroad - of which there are over 4 million, the 10th highest number in the world) are of great benefit both economically and culturally. This with regard to recent years and further back in history.

Alas, the UK Tabloid press (and others) present a "crisis" and virtually encourage a sordid vocabulary towards such people, "vermin" and suchlike, implying that they are simply looking to jump onto the "welfare wagon", jumping the housing queues etc etc etc.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 14:04:13
@dookie Said

The UK has the English Channel and therefore no need of a wall. But we still have a "migrant crisis".

Here is an excerpt from my own Facebook Page, which speaks of the "crisis" (as well as other things)

State of the nation UPDATE:- latest count on discarded face-masks, about 5 or 6 wafting in the breeze this morning. Of course, given the lack of adequate street cleaning by our cash strapped local authorities, some of these could be the ones I saw last week. Spotted among them, a reuseable mask - but hey, why bother throwing it in the washing machine when the pavement will do? Saves all the bother. But every cloud has a silver lining they say.......several companies owned by well known Tory Party donors have got the contracts for supplying PPE kit. This includes the guy who gave a donation towards Mr Gove's leadership bid, now rewarded by Mr Gove's very own Government Dept awarding him a lucrative contract. (It's a good job that those brexiteers gave the "establishment" such a good kicking by voting Leave, otherwise the old pals network would still be in full swing)

In the wider world, we continue to find ways of "taking back control" of our borders, with threats of Royal Naval deployment in the English Channel. Let's face it, after our very own RAF bombed Libya, after the arms we have sold Saudi Arabia have blasted the women and children of the Yemen, and after our invasion of Iraq, we can't have human beings seeking to flee those countries trying to come here and jumping on the gravy train. We are far too soft these days. Charity begins at home.

Sorry. Pissed off. Even a chapter of Finnegans Wake is preferable to the cr*p I hear all around me.

Further Comment:- And on the "migrant crisis", here we have the man who speaks of "moral authority", Boris Johnson. Read between the lines, spot the euphemisms.

"We need to look at the means by which they are coming here, we need to stop them, working with the French, we need to stop them from getting across the Channel," Boris Johnson said.

"But number two we need to look at the legal framework that we have, all the panoply of laws that an illegal immigrant has at his or her disposal that allow them to stay here and we need to look at what we can do to change that."

Where is that blanket to pull up over my head?

Sounds like a parallel universe to ours (again/still)
A wall
"Let them wait in Mexico"
All the legal hurdles
The US doesn't have enough resources for the process

The only thing we didn't do is bomb South American countries to drive the immigrants / asylum seekers north.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 14:07:48
@dookie Said

The tragedy is that their is every evidence that generally speaking the UK's immigrant population (such are called ex-pats if they are UK citizens living abroad - of which there are over 4 million, the 10th highest number in the world) are of great benefit both economically and culturally. This with regard to recent years and further back in history.

Alas, the UK Tabloid press (and others) present a "crisis" and virtually encourage a sordid vocabulary towards such people, "vermin" and suchlike, implying that they are simply looking to jump onto the "welfare wagon", jumping the housing queues etc etc etc.

According to an occasional poster here, all they (immigrants in the UK) are interested in is raping and killing little girls.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 14:13:41
@mrmhead Said

According to an occasional poster here, all they (immigrants in the UK) are interested in is raping and killing little girls.

Oh yes, the "powers that be" pay lip service to the "we must not demonise" them (the immigrants) while actually encouraging such demonisation with virtually each and every word that passes their lips.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 18:26:06
we need to stop the never ending flow of economic, illegal migrants to the uk. All we are doing by allowing them in is to (a) encourage ever more to come here , and (b) put immense pressure on the poorest and most deprived communities in the uk.. Of course there is a continual call to let them in by the middle class lefties, people who aren't affected in the slightest by their arrival I remember when the uk had a population of 56 million, it's now 66 million. How do the supporters of illegal immigration think we are going to pay for the extra health, social and unemployment benefits in the future if we keep importing more people. We already had a job shortage but now, after covid, there are thousands of uk citizens without work. Perhaps some of the illegals can get work in the sweatshops in the Midlands. Staffed by immigrants from poor deprived areas and working throughout the lockdown for a lot less than the minimum wage. All we are doing is hurting the poor, and it's about time the self righteous middle class lefties shut up and supported our existing them.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 19:38:17
@offbeat Said

we need to stop the never ending flow of economic, illegal migrants to the uk. All we are doing by allowing them in is to (a) encourage ever more to come here , and (b) put immense pressure on the poorest and most deprived communities in the uk.. Of course there is a continual call to let them in by the middle class lefties, people who aren't affected in the slightest by their arrival I remember when the uk had a population of 56 million, it's now 66 million. How do the supporters of illegal immigration think we are going to pay for the extra health, social and unemployment benefits in the future if we keep importing more people. We already had a job shortage but now, after covid, there are thousands of uk citizens without work. Perhaps some of the illegals can get work in the sweatshops in the Midlands. Staffed by immigrants from poor deprived areas and working throughout the lockdown for a lot less than the minimum wage. All we are doing is hurting the poor, and it's about time the self righteous middle class lefties shut up and supported our existing them.

It is disappointing to find in this forum a descent into the vocabulary I normally associate with UK Tabloid newspaper comments sections. i.e. "Middle class lefties" and "self righteous middle class lefties".

That said (possibly self-righteously... ) I would say, as far as the UK immigrant population is concerned, for any genuine discussion on rights abd wrongs we must distinguish between 1. Commonwealth immigants 2. EU immigrants 3. Those seeking asylum 4. Illegals.

Regarding the "illegals", given that they are illegal it is obviously difficult if not impossible to actually know the exact number. However, estimates can be found ranging from 500,000 to 750,000. Offbeat speaks of the UK population rising from 56m to 66m, so it is pretty obvious such a rise is basically immaterial to this discussion.

Our Commonwealth citizens represent what for me is a great contribution to the UK economy - and this not just after the end of WW2 when the UK was desperate to rebuild - and towards our rich cultural diversity, an unquestionable good that takes many many years to bring to full fruition.

Our EU nationals, representing about 3m people, are here to work. Statistics show that they provide a net contribution to the Exchequer and thus pay their way. If the UK social services are under pressure, or the UK housing situation is under strain, this can therefore be put down to the decisions and inequitable distribution of the UK's wealth by successive uK Governments. As far as their work is concerned, our entire country has been clapping many of them over the past three months for keeping our country going during the Covid19 crisis. (Many of the new Immigration proposals being mooted would exclude such from gaining entry)

Asylum seekers are at another level of debate. Morality and compassion come more to the fore, and I have mentioned earlier in this thread the part the UK has played in creating the conditions that cause many to seek asylum here in the first place.

By all means let us seek to deal with the "illegals", but it must be said that in all probability many work far harder than a certain UK underclass (and even overclass, given the idle rich!) Again, the UK already has FULL control over its borders as far as non EU nationals are concerned. As far as EU Nationals, an explicit EU directive states that freedom of movement is NOT an unqualified right. Entry to the UK can be denied to those posing a "threat to public policy". The UK can also deport EU Nationals, with over 4000 being deported during 2018 (the last stats I am aware of)

Those in the UK breaking UK laws can and should be dealt with according to the laws of the land.

london, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 20:42:59
@dookie Said

It is disappointing to find in this forum a descent into the vocabulary I normally associate with UK Tabloid newspaper comments sections. i.e. "Middle class lefties" and "self righteous middle class lefties".

That said (possibly self-righteously... ) I would say, as far as the UK immigrant population is concerned, for any genuine discussion on rights abd wrongs we must distinguish between 1. Commonwealth immigants 2. EU immigrants 3. Those seeking asylum 4. Illegals.

Regarding the "illegals", given that they are illegal it is obviously difficult if not impossible to actually know the exact number. However, estimates can be found ranging from 500,000 to 750,000. Offbeat speaks of the UK population rising from 56m to 66m, so it is pretty obvious such a rise is basically immaterial to this discussion.

Our Commonwealth citizens represent what for me is a great contribution to the UK economy - and this not just after the end of WW2 when the UK was desperate to rebuild - and towards our rich cultural diversity, an unquestionable good that takes many many years to bring to full fruition.

Our EU nationals, representing about 3m people, are here to work. Statistics show that they provide a net contribution to the Exchequer and thus pay their way. If the UK social services are under pressure, or the UK housing situation is under strain, this can therefore be put down to the decisions and inequitable distribution of the UK's wealth by successive uK Governments. As far as their work is concerned, our entire country has been clapping many of them over the past three months for keeping our country going during the Covid19 crisis. (Many of the new Immigration proposals being mooted would exclude such from gaining entry)

Asylum seekers are at another level of debate. Morality and compassion come more to the fore, and I have mentioned earlier in this thread the part the UK has played in creating the conditions that cause many to seek asylum here in the first place.

By all means let us seek to deal with the "illegals", but it must be said that in all probability many work far harder than a certain UK underclass (and even overclass, given the idle rich!) Again, the UK already has FULL control over its borders as far as non EU nationals are concerned. As far as EU Nationals, an explicit EU directive states that freedom of movement is NOT an unqualified right. Entry to the UK can be denied to those posing a "threat to public policy". The UK can also deport EU Nationals, with over 4000 being deported during 2018 (the last stats I am aware of)

Those in the UK breaking UK laws can and should be dealt with according to the laws of the land.

At the moment i'm watching a documentary about the takeover of Iraq by isis. It just occurred to me that they did very quickly, what the woke, cancel culture mob are doing gradually in the UK. But you probably see it differently. I say this because you are spreading the anti British slur about our people not working as hard as immigrants. The ones who like to recruit directly from the third world are exploitative company owners ( remember my mention of the Midlands sweatshops? ). Immigrants are desired ( especially illegals ) because they are easily to manipulate an exploit; whether it be in the factories that don't comply with health and safety and workers rights or girls trapped by modern slavers. we need to stop all illegal immigration so that we can concentrate on allowing those that we want for the right reasons. That's the type of immigrant i'm happy to accept. Their were two men knifed to death near my area. they were brought here from india to work in the building trade. they made the mistake of asking for their pay from the indian men that brought them over and they paid with their lives. This is why the official immigration channels must be the only way of entering the uk. i've said enough.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 20:57:59
@offbeat Said

At the moment i'm watching a documentary about the takeover of Iraq by isis. It just occurred to me that they did very quickly, what the woke, cancel culture mob are doing gradually in the UK. But you probably see it differently. I say this because you are spreading the anti British slur about our people not working as hard as immigrants. The ones who like to recruit directly from the third world are exploitative company owners ( remember my mention of the Midlands sweatshops? ). Immigrants are desired ( especially illegals ) because they are easily to manipulate an exploit; whether it be in the factories that don't comply with health and safety and workers rights or girls trapped by modern slavers. we need to stop all illegal immigration so that we can concentrate on allowing those that we want for the right reasons. That's the type of immigrant i'm happy to accept. Their were two men knifed to death near my area. they were brought here from india to work in the building trade. they made the mistake of asking for their pay from the indian men that brought them over and they paid with their lives. This is why the official immigration channels must be the only way of entering the uk. i've said enough.

Hi, I said...."By all means let us seek to deal with the "illegals", but it must be said that in all probability many work far harder than a certain UK underclass (and even overclass, given the idle rich!) "

If you wish to see that as an "anti British slur about our people not working as hard as immigrants" then that is your problem, not mine.

The official immigration channels are already the only official way of entering the UK (by definition)

In as much as you have mostly flown off at a complete tangent and not actually addressed anything I have said, yes, perhaps you have said enough.

Sorry, but I really am tired of this entire debate with ardent brexiteers who seem incapable of cogent, intelligent debate.

london, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 21:12:57
@dookie Said

Hi, I said...."By all means let us seek to deal with the "illegals", but it must be said that in all probability many work far harder than a certain UK underclass (and even overclass, given the idle rich!) "

If you wish to see that as an "anti British slur about our people not working as hard as immigrants" then that is your problem, not mine.

The official immigration channels are already the only official way of entering the UK (by definition)

In as much as you have mostly flown off at a complete tangent and not actually addressed anything I have said, yes, perhaps you have said enough.

Sorry, but I really am tired of this entire debate with ardent brexiteers who seem incapable of cogent, intelligent debate.

And as i said, they work harder and longer hours because they are exploited by greedy bosses who don't want the immigrant supply cut off. And i have made the points i felt like making just as you have made the points you felt like making. And i am a REMAINER! But i recognize an exploitative industry that relies on illegal immigrants when i see it. And the problem with you self righteous lefties is that you regard anyone who disagrees with you as unintelligent. You are all guilty of a collective arrogance.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#12New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 04:51:07
@offbeat Said

Good luck with that. When you find the secret to eradicating illegal immigration, please share it with the world. I'd focus more on the s***ty companies hiring them then the illegal SOL people who will accept crappy jobs with no pay who use improper channels, but that's just me personally.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 07:05:25
@offbeat Said

And as i said, they work harder and longer hours because they are exploited by greedy bosses who don't want the immigrant supply cut off. And i have made the points i felt like making just as you have made the points you felt like making. And i am a REMAINER! But i recognize an exploitative industry that relies on illegal immigrants when i see it. And the problem with you self righteous lefties is that you regard anyone who disagrees with you as unintelligent. You are all guilty of a collective arrogance.

Hi again.....I'll take your word for it that you voted Remain in the EU Referendum. I was deceived by many of your points and arguments being remarkably similar to those made by countless Brexiteers on certain Tabloid Comments Sections.

Anyway, I sought to break down immigrants into various catergories. In previous discussions ALL were thrown into just one category which created confusion. One example, in one debate over EU Nationals, an example was given of Pakistani woman arriving at Heathrow and being driven directly by taxi to have a replacement hip operation. When I pointed out the error, the poster scuttled away, but this only after giving my reply a red thumbs down!

Anyway, in effect I addressed your points when I said:- "Those in the UK breaking UK laws can and should be dealt with according to the laws of the land."

(Such a "solving" of the problem of illegal immigrants obviously relies upon the determination of the UK Government, a determination that I would hazard to guess will always be lacking for various reasons)

london, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 07:41:32
@nooneinparticular Said

Good luck with that. When you find the secret to eradicating illegal immigration, please share it with the world. I'd focus more on the s***ty companies hiring them then the illegal SOL people who will accept crappy jobs with no pay who use improper channels, but that's just me personally.

At last, someone who understands the issues.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Aug 11, 2020 @ 07:45:23
@offbeat Said

At last, someone who understands the issues.

Please expound upon where I have failed to understand?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs