Forums: Art & Literature:
Literature

The Time Traveler's Wife

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
rosesforme17 On August 29, 2023

Santa Clara, California
#1New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 00:45:19
I became interested in this book after seeing a preview for the movie. I had to put a hold on it at the library as so many other readers also wanted to check it out. The waiting list is still pretty long for it. I was so excited and couldn't wait to read it since I heard such rave reviews about it. It must be good since they made a movie from it right?

I finally was able to check it out over the last weekend. Right now I am on page 48. I have to say that I am very disappointed so far. I'm only 48 pages in to it and I'm so beyond bored and utterly annoyed that I debate whether or not it is worth finishing. I even regret bothering to put my name on the waiting list. I regret even more starting to read it. I'm just glad I didn't pay any money for it!

I checked Amazon a little while ago to read other reader's reviews to see if it was just me. Fortunately it's not. But the majority have given it 5 of 5 stars. And I can not for the life of me understand why. Are we reading the same book?

I am only 48 pages in and I find it very poorly written. Character descriptions are lacking while way too much time is spent on useless information that has nothing to do with the story line itself. I do not find it at all romantic. I do not even feel the hint of romance to come.

I can handle the back and forth between time, it is about time travel after all right? At this point, I'm really not sure what the point of the book is. I don't feel anything but annoyance at the writing style. Stuff like, he said this. Then I went here. I did this. I turned there. I fluffed my hair. It blew. Maybe it's a lack of adjectives? I really don't know. The poor description of characters, and places, and objects does not build a mental image that pulls me in to the book as if I'm truly living it. That's very important for me to enjoy a book.

I'm just not feeling it. What is the appeal? Have any of you read it? Did you enjoy it? Can you explain why? Cause for the life of me right now, I can not fathom how anyone found this at all likable let alone best seller worthy.
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#2New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 01:36:54
I am so glad you told us that.
I wonder if the movie will be any good,
lindasue1718 On January 13, 2010

San Antonio, Texas
#3New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 01:38:16
Makes me want to check it out for myself.

Santa Clara, California
#4New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 16:34:26
The movie itself looks really good and I will see it despite the book, but I am very unimpressed and disappointed by the book. At least the movie will have the visualizations that the book failed to describe as far as the characters and places and such. I of course will wait for the movie to be released on DVD. As far as the book, at this point I would not recommend it to anyone.
etis_murof On October 11, 2009

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 18:21:47
48 pages isn't really enough with this book, I did get into it and really enjoyed it. I think if you've seen the movie trailer so you know the basis of the story, it make the start seem pretty slow. But its a month since you posted, what's happened since?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 11, 2009 @ 18:22:42
I thought the book was good. There is no way i would see the film. It will fail.

Santa Clara, California
#7New Post! Oct 12, 2009 @ 02:27:57
I did finish the book that same Saturday. After getting past my initial disappointment, I did enjoy the book. I still don't care for the writing style and some loose ends. And I never really felt the "love" that the two supposedly shared. But overall, I would give it a 2.5 or 3 out of 5 stars. I don't think it is one that I will read again though.
angeliclala On July 31, 2013

, Utah
#8New Post! Oct 12, 2009 @ 02:32:14
i havent read the book but i saw the movie! it was really good but also kind of sad. if you dont like the book just go ahead and watch the movie then maybe youll be interested in reading the book afterwards
karox On April 12, 2011

Canterbury, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 19, 2009 @ 00:09:09
I enyoyed, both, the film and the book. It's an interesting variation on the time travel theme. I think "the Love" comes out better in the film.

Audrey Niffenegger introduces the first chapter with a quote from the Duino Elegies by Rainer Maria Rilke:

'...because truly being here is so much; because everything here
apparently needs us, this fleeting world....Us, the most fleeting of all.'

'...Ah, but what can we take along into that other realm?....
The long experience of love, - just what is wholly unsayable.'

This, for me, sums up the book very well. It's a very good piece of writing in my opinion.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs