Chemistry

The T-Virus and the C-Virus

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Jun 01, 2013 @ 13:09:12
Although they are used in fictional contexts, the aforementioned viruses are based on theoretically possible viral agents. For those of you that don´t know what I am referring to, these viruses are the catalysts for the Resident Evil games. They are what turn people in zombies and cause the epidemics of the games.

Now, as with all viruses, the T-Virus uses a particular kind of cell to reproduce, in its case, the cells of the frontal lobe. These are destroyed as the virus consumes them and then something very strange happens. The virus evolves into a new kind, in which it changes the cells it feeds upon to the oxygen rich tissues, namely the muscles in this case.

Why would a virus, which is initially airborne and feeds on a brain cell, evolve into one that targets the muscles in the organism it infects. I thought viruses had only one staple diet per type.

The C-Virus acts in a very similar way. However, it only uses some of the frontal lobe cells to reproduce, not all of them like the T-Virus does. Why would this variation of the virus feed on less of the brain cells it needs?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Jun 01, 2013 @ 19:43:40
This, my friend, is why it is called fiction.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Jun 01, 2013 @ 20:26:21
@Conflict Said

Although they are used in fictional contexts, the aforementioned viruses are based on theoretically possible viral agents. For those of you that don´t know what I am referring to, these viruses are the catalysts for the Resident Evil games. They are what turn people in zombies and cause the epidemics of the games.

Now, as with all viruses, the T-Virus uses a particular kind of cell to reproduce, in its case, the cells of the frontal lobe. These are destroyed as the virus consumes them and then something very strange happens. The virus evolves into a new kind, in which it changes the cells it feeds upon to the oxygen rich tissues, namely the muscles in this case.

Why would a virus, which is initially airborne and feeds on a brain cell, evolve into one that targets the muscles in the organism it infects. I thought viruses had only one staple diet per type.

The C-Virus acts in a very similar way. However, it only uses some of the frontal lobe cells to reproduce, not all of them like the T-Virus does. Why would this variation of the virus feed on less of the brain cells it needs?

I think that the science behind the premise of your question is flawed.

In real world viruses change... mutate... evolve... over time.

Let me recommend a book that will cover your questions and then some... is scientifically comprehensive yet a very easy read:

Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#4New Post! Jun 03, 2013 @ 11:54:02
@chaski Said

I think that the science behind the premise of your question is flawed.

In real world viruses change... mutate... evolve... over time.

Let me recommend a book that will cover your questions and then some... is scientifically comprehensive yet a very easy read:

Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen

Thank you for sharing this title with me. I'll look into it some time.
The_Judge On September 17, 2013

Deleted

Your city, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 03, 2013 @ 16:14:38
Has someone been playing Resident Evil?

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#6New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 18:40:17
I've looked into how viruses replicate and am still unsure as to how they would require less of the cells they feed upon to reproduce. Could someone tell me how they could consume less in order to survive like the C-Virus does?
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#7New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 18:58:27
@Conflict Said

I've looked into how viruses replicate and am still unsure as to how they would require less of the cells they feed upon to reproduce. Could someone tell me how they could consume less in order to survive like the C-Virus does?

Shouldn't you talk to Albert about this sort of thing?

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#8New Post! Jun 18, 2013 @ 11:36:25
Albert is a language teacher, if he's the Albert you're referring to. He wouldn't know. He's never talked about chemical engineering or virology.

Deleted

#9New Post! Jun 18, 2013 @ 11:54:27
@Conflict Said

You should get into Bio hacking. Then you can find out.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#10New Post! Jun 18, 2013 @ 13:45:55
@Conflict Said

Why would this variation of the virus feed on less of the brain cells it needs?

Why do you continue to try to find rational validation for fiction? Do you not understand the very concept of fiction?
Funky-Footed Skunk

#11New Post! Jun 18, 2013 @ 18:42:27
@Conflict Said

Albert is a language teacher, if he's the Albert you're referring to. He wouldn't know. He's never talked about chemical engineering or virology.

He's not. I was referring to Albert Wesker from Resident Evil, who created the spiritual successor to the T and C-Viruses. Kinda... thought that'd be obvious since he is the villain and the only person named Albert in Resident Evil.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#12New Post! Jun 18, 2013 @ 20:37:31
Yes, sorry. You are absolutely right. I should've made the connection. Sorry, it seems my IQ has lowered as a result of my long term unemployment and lack of friends.

Deleted

#13New Post! Jun 18, 2013 @ 22:05:50
@Conflict Said

Yes, sorry. You are absolutely right. I should've made the connection. Sorry, it seems my IQ has lowered as a result of my long term unemployment and lack of friends.

Yes I guess living in a fantasy world is better than your reality by the sounds of things.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#14New Post! Jun 18, 2013 @ 23:50:52
@Conflict Said

Put in an application for Umbrella. They could always use new guinea pigs employees.
TenaciousDave On February 11, 2022
The Anus Of Satan

Jeffrey Dahmer's Lunchbox,
#15New Post! Jun 19, 2013 @ 03:12:16
@Leon Said

This, my friend, is why it is called fiction.

Are you serious? I thought those games were real.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs