#1New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 12:54:56
A video FYI...

rogY
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 13:02:50
Wow, the video starts off pretty badly. The first 'fact' is "98% of all animals abused and killed are those we eat."

That is a blatant lie. Even if you mean "all animals killed by humans" it's a blatant lie. Insects are animals. I dare say that humankind, globally, kills many times more insects in a day than food animals. I killed two mosquitos before breakfast, and I didn't make up for it by eating 100 chickens.

The video then goes on to tell us about how much of our plant-based food output goes to feeding food animals. Yeah, and? It's not like all of the food animal feed will just magically go on to feed poor people in Africa. If we stopped eating animals, plant-based food production would drop accordingly, and millions of acres of farmland would go fallow. Impoverished and starving people in Africa can't afford our corn and wheat whether we feed it to animals or not. It doesn't matter that it's inefficient - we can afford it, and the sun does most of the work for us.

Suffice to say, there would be fewer jobs and a lot less farmland if we stopped eating animals.
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#3New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 13:05:14
Some of those statistics are somewhat suspect.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#4New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 13:14:12
Veganism is no answer. How many vitamin pills do vegans slam down in a day? I have never knowingly took a vitamin pill in my life. Don't have to. Many foods are fortified, and I'm a meat eater. A meal ain't a meal without meat, in my house. But, all my life I've eaten plenty of veggies, bread and dairy too. And exercise. Usually always had jobs requiring lots of physical activity. Had I not been a drinker, and been accidently injured a few times, I have no doubt I would still be doing a full days work.
A well balanced diet is the answer, rogy. Not plants and pills.
Ri On August 11, 2012

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 14:12:24
No vitamins or supplements will ever be enough, we need meat.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 15:37:36
@Ri Said

No vitamins or supplements will ever be enough, we need meat.

This doesn't make any sense. Most vegans and vegetarians are extremely healthy people. There are vegan MMA fighters, triathletes, ultramarathoners, boxers, professional cricketers, major league pitchers, Olympic high jumpers, bodybuilders, etc.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#7New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 16:04:31
@jonnythan Said

This doesn't make any sense. Most vegans and vegetarians are extremely healthy people. There are vegan MMA fighters, triathletes, ultramarathoners, boxers, professional cricketers, major league pitchers, Olympic high jumpers, bodybuilders, etc.

The point is, do they take vitamin pills or not?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 16:08:59
@hoppy Said

The point is, do they take vitamin pills or not?

I eat meat and I take vitamin pills. I take a multi, vitamin D, and fish oil every day. And I have some kind of meat or animal product at pretty much every meal. So what?

All pro athletes I've ever sufficiently learned about take supplements. Protein, creatine, vitamins, ECA stacks, etc. Vegan pro athletes are no different.

The only vitamin I know of that a vegan really needs to supplement is B12, and even that can be gotten from yeast.
Ri On August 11, 2012

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 16:26:00
@jonnythan Said

I eat meat and I take vitamin pills. I take a multi, vitamin D, and fish oil every day. And I have some kind of meat or animal product at pretty much every meal. So what?

All pro athletes I've ever sufficiently learned about take supplements. Protein, creatine, vitamins, ECA stacks, etc. Vegan pro athletes are no different.

The only vitamin I know of that a vegan really needs to supplement is B12, and even that can be gotten from yeast.

They need red meat to obtain healthy amounts of iron. With veganism and the like, you need to eat a LOT and take a lot of supplements to obtain iron.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 16:29:07
@Ri Said

They need red meat to obtain healthy amounts of iron. With veganism and the like, you need to eat a LOT and take a lot of supplements to obtain iron.

These are completely false statements. You are very uninformed when it comes to vegan nutrition.

The funny thing about the iron argument is that on a per-calorie basis, all the highest-iron foods are vegetables.
Ri On August 11, 2012

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 16:43:05
@jonnythan Said

These are completely false statements. You are very uninformed when it comes to vegan nutrition.

The funny thing about the iron argument is that on a per-calorie basis, all the highest-iron foods are vegetables.

Actually no. I was vegan once and had to stop because I wasn't getting enough iron. 2 Doctors and a nutritionist told me.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 16:52:02
@Ri Said

Actually no. I was vegan once and had to stop because I wasn't getting enough iron. 2 Doctors and a nutritionist told me.

You should have eaten more spinach, lentils, and broccoli. Or used an iron supplement.

(Others should note that women have much higher iron needs than men, thanks to regular blood loss)
Ri On August 11, 2012

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 16:58:48
@jonnythan Said

You should have eaten more spinach, lentils, and broccoli. Or used an iron supplement.

(Others should note that women have much higher iron needs than men, thanks to regular blood loss)

Oh believe me, I ate plenty of that. I used an iron supplement, but still felt very weak!
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 16:59:38
@Ri Said

Oh believe me, I ate plenty of that. I used an iron supplement, but still felt very weak!

Red meat doesn't provide some magical type of iron that an iron supplement and lentils don't.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 20, 2011 @ 17:04:37
I just have to say that dark greens are generally rich in vitamins and minerals. Its a shame we do not eat more of them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs