The Shocking Data on Black-on-Black Crime

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...20 21 22 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#31New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:50:05
@townie_guy Said

Also some parents work long hours, so the kids are in effect bought up by the gangs and there friends. Education is only any good if you are willing to get educated. Just turning up and sitting through lessons dosnt mean anything if you dont take it in.

What was your idea on how to encourage better parenting skills ?
There isn't any mention in the article about the gangs and this issue. Not that I don't think that the gangs play a huge role in the crimes committed all across the nation , it just seems strange that there isn't any mention of that aspect of the problems young people are facing today .

n/a, New Mexico
#32New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:59:56
My oldest son joined a gang when he was in his early teens. Later when he was out of the gang and on his way to becoming an adult with a future, I ask him what was the pull or attraction for him.
He said that the 'leaders' made it all sound so exciting and the part about ' fitting in' being one of the bunch was a big draw.
And then he told about the forcing a kid into th gang if he/she didn't' fall for the exciting and fitting in story.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#33New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 20:43:59
@rosexthorn Said

I take offense to this comment. My son was in a gang when he was in his teens and it was not because of my parenting. He told me that the reason he joined the gang was because of the pressures he was having in and out of school with others of his age. Got held up at gunpoint and made the choice [his choice] to join a gang for some backup. I did not smoke pot, do crack nor was I abusive in any manner.

As for following a teenager around 24/7 is impossible to do and curfews are impossible to enforce if the teen wants to go out period. Getting the police involved only exacerbates all problems as they like many love to blame the parents. Quit giving them scapegoats for their actions and start placing responsibilities on their shoulders and then maybe we'll see some changes from the youth. Until that time why shouldn't they act up if all is going to be put directly on the parent/parents? Generalizations are so easy to make yet are far from facts.

I don't know how things are in Canada, but I live near Chicago and there is a city mandated curfew for all kids underage mainly because of the gang violence. They will get arrested if they are out past 10pm.

Sorry to hear your son was in a gang even though you were a good parent, but what about the parents of the other kids who carry guns and are in gangs? How are they able to afford to buy one, then hide one from their parents?
Where do these gang members meet? How are they able to carry out all these crimes without their parents knowledge? Where do they get their vehicles from? These are questions every parent of a gang member should wonder about?

n/a, New Mexico
#34New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 21:04:24
I have been reading though the Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report , there are 12 pages to the report and I'm not even half way done , but as of yet , no mention of gangs being a factor in black on black ' crimes.
Most street gangs that recruit young kids will take all the members they can get and will victimise any one they get a chance to , the gangs aren't what is the root cause for The black on black crimes .

Quote:
Between 2001 and 2005, blacks ages 12 to 19 made up
about 37% of all black robbery victims,
a percentage similar
to that for Hispanics (table 3). Males made up the majority
of robbery victims among blacks, whites and Hispanics.
About a third of black robbery victims lived in households
with annual incomes of less than $15,000.

Do you notice that these stats are reporting that the victims are the ages of most gang bangers ?
That tell me that the theory of it being gangs that are the main cause for black on black crimes has some huge holes in it.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 21:23:16
@white_swan53 Said

What was your idea on how to encourage better parenting skills ?
There isn't any mention in the article about the gangs and this issue. Not that I don't think that the gangs play a huge role in the crimes committed all across the nation , it just seems strange that there isn't any mention of that aspect of the problems young people are facing today .

Not being a parent myself I cant comment on how to encourage better parent skills. But just because they are encouraged does not mean they will be carried out.

I know people who have parents that both work day and night shifts, it is impossible for the parent to be with there child 100% of the time. So the kids learn there life styles from othe sources, gangs etc.

If the parents stopped working they will have no source of income.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 21:29:07
@offbeat Said

interestingly , there is a scene in one of spike lee's movies , where a man puts forward the belief that black areas have more than their fair share of gun shops because the people in charge want to make it easier for blacks to kill each other ....i think the actor is lawrence fishbourne ..the movie i don't know .

Have you seen Attack the Block? It was on last night, it's about an alien invasion on a London estate.

Anyone one of the characters says the aliens were probably sent by the government to kill the black people. He says first they sent drugs, then they sent guns, but we're still not killing each other off fast enough, so they sent these things to do it for us. Which was an interesting way to look at it!

@DorkySupergirl Said

Exactly. I could be wrong but I think in America, a vast majority of those living in poverty are African Americans and many end up in gangs. So thus why the black on black crime, from my understanding it usually has to do with drugs, gangs, turf war etc, is the highest.

The same things would be true of any race if the conditions were the same.

So true! During the Victorian Era people though that the Irish were a criminal race, they they were intrinsically bad. Obviously they weren't, but they were generally living in great poverty. Some people thought that of all the poor, that there was something genetically wrong with them that made they criminals. People living in poverty are more likely to be around 'blue collar' crime, either as victims of perpetrators.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#37New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 21:46:37
@white_swan53 Said

I have been reading though the Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report , there are 12 pages to the report and I'm not even half way done , but as of yet , no mention of gangs being a factor in black on black ' crimes.
Most street gangs that recruit young kids will take all the members they can get and will victimise any one they get a chance to , the gangs aren't what is the root cause for The black on black crimes.

No, that simply implies gangs are open and their membership is varied, at least for the ones with little power or just looking to expand recognition or something.

Just because they victimize everyone does not imply they are not a contributing factor to black on black violence.

Quote:

Do you notice that these stats are reporting that the victims are the ages of most gang bangers ?
That tell me that the theory of it being gangs that are the main cause for black on black crimes has some huge holes in it.

Really? That seems to support the view that gangs are related in some way more than it doesn't. At the very least, it doesn't seem to imply the opposite. Namely that gangs are not related.

Of course, since this is robbery incidence rate and not, say, homicide rate, or aggravated assault, or assault and battery, the motivations and whatnot could actually be significantly different.

n/a, New Mexico
#38New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 21:58:51
@nooneinparticular Said

No, that simply implies gangs are open and their membership is varied, at least for the ones with little power or just looking to expand recognition or something.

Just because they victimize everyone does not imply they are not a contributing factor to black on black violence.

Really? That seems to support the view that gangs are related in some way more than it doesn't. At the very least, it doesn't seem to imply the opposite. Namely that gangs are not related.

Of course, since this is robbery incidence rate and not, say, homicide rate, or aggravated assault, or assault and battery, the motivations and whatnot could actually be significantly different.

I said gangs are not the root cause of black on black crimes. No one that has read a paper or listened to a news report for the last 20 years would be dumb enough to think that gangs aren't a contributing factor .
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#39New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 22:04:08
@white_swan53 Said

I said gangs are not the root cause of black on black crimes. No one that has read a paper or listened to a news report for the last 20 years would be dumb enough to think that gangs aren't a contributing factor .

And how much of a percentage would justify a designation as a root cause?
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#40New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 22:06:05
84% of all whites killed are killed by whites.Most killings are done by people who know in some way the people they killed. If you live in a high rate of blacks you will most likely be killed by a black. If you live in a high rate of whites then you will most likely be killed by a white.

n/a, New Mexico
#41New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 23:13:27
@nooneinparticular Said

And how much of a percentage would justify a designation as a root cause?

Good question, I have been reading though the links in the article and haven't come across any mention of what the percentages are of root causes or contributing factors of gangs .

n/a, New Mexico
#42New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 23:26:08
@restoreone Said

84% of all whites killed are killed by whites.Most killings are done by people who know in some way the people they killed. If you live in a high rate of blacks you will most likely be killed by a black. If you live in a high rate of whites then you will most likely be killed by a white.

There are statistics on White on White , Black on Black , Indian on Indian , Hispanic on Hispanic crimes and of course statistics on any mix of the different demographics and crimes . And the only thing I can find as to why the Black on Black crimes are or seem to be such a major concern compared to all the rest is that black Americans comprise roughly 12.5 percent of the U.S. population and black Americans accounted for roughly 49% of all homicide victims in the US ,almost exclusively at the hands of other African Americans.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#43New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 23:35:06
@ninozara Said

Have you seen Attack the Block? It was on last night, it's about an alien invasion on a London estate.

Anyone one of the characters says the aliens were probably sent by the government to kill the black people. He says first they sent drugs, then they sent guns, but we're still not killing each other off fast enough, so they sent these things to do it for us. Which was an interesting way to look at it!

So true! During the Victorian Era people though that the Irish were a criminal race, they they were intrinsically bad. Obviously they weren't, but they were generally living in great poverty. Some people thought that of all the poor, that there was something genetically wrong with them that made they criminals. People living in poverty are more likely to be around 'blue collar' crime, either as victims of perpetrators.

Exactly. I do not see any race as being genetically wrong to make them commit crimes but we need to realize that certain races are more prone to living in poverty and that causes a lot of crime.
And that's not an excuse because its still wrong but we also need to look at the why and what can be done to make changes instead of just thinking certain races are certain ways.

There are areas where white people live in poverty and those areas are also full of crimes so its not a race thing but a poverty thing.

n/a, New Mexico
#44New Post! Jun 26, 2012 @ 00:13:49
@DorkySupergirl Said

And that's not an excuse because its still wrong but we also need to look at the why and what can be done to make changes instead of just thinking certain races are certain ways.

Though all the reading and numbers I have seen today, there is no one from the government to the reporters and to the black community leaders interviewed that has any to say about making any changes , the closest any come to that topic is to point fingers at others and what they should be doing but aren't.
The parents say the gov. , the media says the community's , the community's say the leaders , the leaders say the gov. the churches say the schools , the schools sa the churches and around and around the finger pointing goes while nothing is getting done to make the changes .

n/a, New Mexico
#45New Post! Jun 26, 2012 @ 00:17:24
What caused these changes to take pace ??"" During the Victorian Era people though that the Irish were a criminal race""
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...20 21 22 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs