Racism

The Shocking Data on Black-on-Black Crime

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...20 21 22 · >>
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 11:48:43
Skin colour doesn't dictate how violent someone is. The environment they grow up in can though.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#17New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 12:01:04
@sister_of_mercy Said

Skin colour doesn't dictate how violent someone is. The environment they grow up in can though.

I agree.
I got that question from a blog entry unrelated to the article .
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 14:58:12
@white_swan53 Said

The full headline of the story reads,
Race Wars, Part 1, The Shocking Data on Black-on-Black Crime

Defining someones race isnt racist.

HEre is the definition of racism:

Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Im just wondering why you are putting this topic in a forum about discrimination. There is nothing in the article you posted disriminating against blacks. Its just facts and figures. Unless you are implying that suggesting that black people commit crimes is a racist thought.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#19New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 15:00:35
@white_swan53 Said

The 'shocking' part of the deal about 'black on black crimes' is not that it happens but that the numbers or percentages are so high in comparison to the % of black Americans compared to the total population of the nation . Any way that's what I under stood from reading the article.

Although this is true...you have to consider that most people associate primarily with their own race; so it stands to reason that crimes, and killings will be against their own first, as a result. The same is true for whites and other races.

n/a, New Mexico
#20New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 15:09:04
Okay, I get that some think I should have posted this else where, and I get that all skin colors make crime on their own color more then others. (according to the FBI reports not as much as black on black crime ) but yes all people do .
I read in the comments on the article where some one mentioned that while it is nice to hear all the issues and problems, it would be better to hear ideas for solutions . I realise we have no hope of solving the issues . But does any one have any ideas ?

n/a, New Mexico
#21New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 15:25:35
I put this topic in this forum out of habit , if anyone was inclined to look this forum is where most everything except political topics go when the topic is about minorities and america.. I am not impling anything about any one or any race or trying to be Prejudice or discriminate against no one.
If it will make a real discussion about the actul toopic I can go ask a mocd to move the thread to where ever it will make for a relaxed and seriouse discussion.
I did not aurthor the article , but do find I am interested in what it has to say.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#22New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:13:09
@white_swan53 Said

Okay, I get that some think I should have posted this else where, and I get that all skin colors make crime on their own color more then others. (according to the FBI reports not as much as black on black crime ) but yes all people do .
I read in the comments on the article where some one mentioned that while it is nice to hear all the issues and problems, it would be better to hear ideas for solutions . I realise we have no hope of solving the issues . But does any one have any ideas ?

One of the best ways to stop kids from killing each other is to encourage better parenting skills and make sure these kids have curfews and are supervised by responsible adults.
Many of these gang members have drug addicts for parents, don't know where or even who their father is, don't attend school and generally have no other future except the drug trade.

n/a, New Mexico
#23New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:27:56
@futilevoice Said

One of the best ways to stop kids from killing each other is to encourage better parenting skills and make sure these kids have curfews and are supervised by responsible adults.
Many of these gang members have drug addicts for parents, don't know where or even who their father is, don't attend school and generally have no other future except the drug trade.

I believe that education is the key to change. but i have no clue how to educate these kids.
Since these kids won't stay in regular school long enough to get enough education to graduate or go on to collage , how would offering parenting classes do them any good? How else could better parenting skills be encouraged ?
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:30:06
@white_swan53 Said

I believe that education is the key to change. but i have no clue how to educate these kids.
Since these kids won't stay in regular school long enough to get enough education to graduate or go on to collage , how would offering parenting classes do them any good? How else could better parenting skills be encouraged ?

Also some parents work long hours, so the kids are in effect bought up by the gangs and there friends. Education is only any good if you are willing to get educated. Just turning up and sitting through lessons dosnt mean anything if you dont take it in.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#25New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:36:57
@sister_of_mercy Said

Exactly. I could be wrong but I think in America, a vast majority of those living in poverty are African Americans and many end up in gangs. So thus why the black on black crime, from my understanding it usually has to do with drugs, gangs, turf war etc, is the highest.

The same things would be true of any race if the conditions were the same.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#26New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:37:00
@futilevoice Said

I take offense to this comment. My son was in a gang when he was in his teens and it was not because of my parenting. He told me that the reason he joined the gang was because of the pressures he was having in and out of school with others of his age. Got held up at gunpoint and made the choice [his choice] to join a gang for some backup. I did not smoke pot, do crack nor was I abusive in any manner.

As for following a teenager around 24/7 is impossible to do and curfews are impossible to enforce if the teen wants to go out period. Getting the police involved only exacerbates all problems as they like many love to blame the parents. Quit giving them scapegoats for their actions and start placing responsibilities on their shoulders and then maybe we'll see some changes from the youth. Until that time why shouldn't they act up if all is going to be put directly on the parent/parents? Generalizations are so easy to make yet are far from facts.

, Canada
#27New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:39:42
@rosexthorn Said

I take offense to this comment. My son was in a gang when he was in his teens and it was not because of my parenting. He told me that the reason he joined the gang was because of the pressures he was having in and out of school with others of his age. Got held up at gunpoint and made the choice [his choice] to join a gang for some backup. I did not smoke pot, do crack nor was I abusive in any manner.

As for following a teenager around 24/7 is impossible to do and curfews are impossible to enforce if the teen wants to go out period. Getting the police involved only exacerbates all problems as they like many love to blame the parents. Quit giving them scapegoats for their actions and start placing responsibilities on their shoulders and then maybe we'll see some changes from the youth. Until that time why shouldn't they act up if all is going to be put directly on the parent/parents? Generalizations are so easy to make yet are far from facts.

I agree with you, its not always the parents fault and its troublesome to me when people assume its always the parents fault.

I will say more often than not, those who are in gangs do come from broken homes, bad home life and join a gang, among other reasons. There are some however who have excellent parents and mess up, join gangs and commit crimes and nothing the parent does changes their child and these parents try everything.

Not all parents who have children in gangs or committing crimes are bad parents and its a shame all are painted in error by the same brush.

n/a, New Mexico
#28New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:42:02
Quote:
Where is the outrage?

But Brown is not alone. Not by any stretch. Which begs the questions: where is the outrage from prominent members of the African-American community? Where are the words of condemnation and sorrow from Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, or Rev. Al Sharpton, over the fact that members of their own communities are summarily executing each other?

I agree with this , if the leaders of the community would step up , it would go a long way to help make needed changes .
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#29New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:45:09
@townie_guy Said

Also some parents work long hours, so the kids are in effect bought up by the gangs and there friends. Education is only any good if you are willing to get educated. Just turning up and sitting through lessons dosnt mean anything if you dont take it in.

Education is also only as good as the teachers teaching them. If the teachers would take more of an interest in trying to find out why their students aren't capable of learning what they're teaching, fewer students would just show up just for showing up factor. Not all blame can be put on the students because there are many teachers that shouldn't be teaching at all.

, Canada
#30New Post! Jun 25, 2012 @ 19:47:54
@white_swan53 Said

I agree with this , if the leaders of the community would step up , it would go a long way to help make needed changes .

I am not an expert in gangs but I recently watched a documentary of gangs in America. It was talking about how they spend so much money on policing these areas more etc but what experts said would really help is to clean up the area more.

They were showing people who too back their own area. They had the vacant buildings torn down, fixed up the apartment buildings, planted gardens, set up neighbourhood watch, among other changes and in the end, they were saying it cost less than other so called solutions and worked better long term.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...20 21 22 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs