TFS Journal
The Republic
May 14, 2018 @ 11:53:49 am
What can Plato teach us?

Quote | Reply

chaski

Stalker

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 03:10:37 pm
Eventually in a democracy a visually appealing demagogue is lifted up to protect the interests of the lower class (or more specifically a segment of the population that perceives itself to be disenfranchised)...

However, having no interest in actually holding the ruler accountable for his/her actions, the people become easily duped by a smooth talking leader's appeal and allow him/her to undermine the democracy and actually hurt the country for his/her own personal gain.

Aside from The Republic, this problem is exacerbated by people choosing to believe propagandic lies from the leader and his/her cronies (in the modern world this equalling extreme views promoted by media outlets both conservative and/or liberal).

Bottom line: People are lazy and don't want to think for themselves, but rather people want to believe bull sh_t that makes them feel better even if it is counter to their well being.

Democracy remains an experiment that his hanging tenuously by a thread of reason that is slowly being cut by stupidity.

A populous based movement towards tyranny is inevitable.

Or something like that.... maybe...

cole

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 05:36:58 pm
Politics and Virtue go hand in hand.

Do Politics and Virtue go hand in hand in today's political sphere? Do people hear "virtue" and think "oh, that sounds exactly like our politicians" Can politicians on the whole be described as virtuous? I'm not even talking Trump here, even Commandant May! (whom i voted for) or literally any other major country's leader.

He also had some crazy Buddhist views on death and the afterlife.

Erimitus

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 06:35:02 pm
@cole Said

Politics and Virtue go hand in hand.

Do Politics and Virtue go hand in hand in today's political sphere? Do people hear "virtue" and think "oh, that sounds exactly like our politicians" Can politicians on the whole be described as virtuous? I'm not even talking Trump here, even Commandant May! (whom i voted for) or literally any other major country's leader.

He also had some crazy Buddhist views on death and the afterlife.

What do you think Plato was referring to when he spoke of the soul?

chaski

Stalker

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 06:59:37 pm
@Erimitus Said

What do you think Plato was referring to when he spoke of the soul?

James Brown

cole

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 07:54:36 pm
He believed the soul was eternal and immortal. All life has a soul, even plants. It exists before we are born and is trapped by the body, it lives on after our bodies die and is trapped by another body. I believe the train of thought is called dualism. Body and soul being separate.

Told you, some crazy Buddhist stuff before they had even bumped into Buddhism. That being said it's believed to be the oldest religion so chances are it had traveled a bit.

Erimitus

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 08:45:22 pm
@chaski Said

James Brown

Ahhh....

actually that helped a great deal.

TY

A natural musician has soul. Emotion

someone who just plays the notes sounds mechanical.

Does that sound correct?

Erimitus

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 08:58:02 pm
@cole Said

He believed the soul was eternal and immortal. All life has a soul, even plants. It exists before we are born and is trapped by the body, it lives on after our bodies die and is trapped by another body. I believe the train of thought is called dualism. Body and soul being separate.

Told you, some crazy Buddhist stuff before they had even bumped into Buddhism. That being said it's believed to be the oldest religion so chances are it had traveled a bit.

The soul is a non-physical entity hence, immortal.
The body is a physical entity, hence temporal.

I believe we may have covered this before when referring to an individual unit of consciousness. The basic theosophical trinity of mind. body and soul.
TY

The body is that which is known.

The soul is the knower.

The mind is a process.

We ran into a chicken and egg problem with mind and body that was never resolved. Catch-22, there can be no mind without a body and there can be no body without a mind.

All biological entities have a soul. I had never thought of a plant as having a soul. Could be I suppose.

Does that sound correct?

Erimitus

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 09:26:05 pm
Freud must have read The Republic. Guardians, the producers and the auxiliary. Id Ego Super-ego. I will Google and see what I can find.

cole

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 09:50:27 pm
I believe I solved the chicken and the egg thing. Yes all me, on my own, nobel chicken solving prize to me!

it’s been a long while since I did any philosophy and I vaguely remember touching on some of this during 2 years of classical studies. He believed the soul controlled a subset of the mind but not necessarily all of it. He broke it down into 3 sections.

Reason, (logic)
Spirited, (emotion)
Appetite (physical desire)

Each section has its own desires which can conflict with the other sections desires causing aversions and this is why we end up conflicted about things. I don’t believe that’s our “soul” doing that. Our mind yes but not soul.

Some of it was the basis for Freud’s theories which of course was largely debunked (Freud’s not Plato’s)

Erimitus

New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 10:41:44 pm
@cole Said

I believe I solved the chicken and the egg thing. Yes all me, on my own, nobel chicken solving prize to me!

it’s been a long while since I did any philosophy and I vaguely remember touching on some of this during 2 years of classical studies. He believed the soul controlled a subset of the mind but not necessarily all of it. He broke it down into 3 sections.

Reason, (logic)
Spirited, (emotion)
Appetite (physical desire)

Each section has its own desires which can conflict with the other sections desires causing aversions and this is why we end up conflicted about things. I don’t believe that’s our “soul” doing that. Our mind yes but not soul.

Some of it was the basis for Freud’s theories which of course was largely debunked (Freud’s not Plato’s)

Thank you much

chaski

Stalker

New Post! May 15, 2018 @ 12:47:16 am
@Erimitus Said

someone who just plays the notes sounds mechanical.

yes... unless it is a band like the Alan Parson's Project... maybe...

Quote | Reply