My Stats

Antarctica
PLS: ? 21.76

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

Post digestive nuggets
TFS Journal
The Problem of Perception
January 17, 2019 @ 11:39:10 am
Is there a difference between an illusion and a hallucination?

Quote | Reply

mrmhead

New Post! January 17, 2019 @ 12:37:21 pm
@Erimitus Said

An illusion is a "trick" that may be perceived by many.
A hallucination is personal.

It is an illusion that the sun and moon are the same size.

It is a hallucination when the moon cracks open and a monster comes out and eats the big city on the horizon.

One of my most favorite (personal) illusions - not hallucination, because I know what was going on:
One fine sunny, summer day, the car was parked in the driveway under a tree.
When I looked at the windshield, I could see Cerberus - the three-headed devil dog - sitting in the drivers seat ... well, mainly all I could see were his heads - and they looked like they were barking (but there was no sound)

Really it was the sunlight filtered through the moving leaves of the trees reflecting off of the windshield.

mrmhead

New Post! January 17, 2019 @ 12:39:46 pm
These are not really spinning - you can print it out and it will still look like they are spinning - but only the ones you are not looking at directly

gakINGKONG

New Post! January 17, 2019 @ 12:44:06 pm
@Erimitus Said

Hallucinations are brought on by something more invasive.

A person can experience an illusion by forced perspective or word-play or some other mechanism which is pretty much limited to that one event.

Hallucinations don't have the same apparent apparatus. It could be chemically induced or fatigue or anxiety or illness even transient time or location based. But more difficult control or duplicate.

My favorite analogy is: it's the difference between the chicken and the pig; the chicken offers up eggs for breakfast don't matter if you like fried or scrambled. That's a sacrifice (think how you would feel offering up your babies to another species for food!). The pig commits at a whole nother level: he lays down and offers up all his body for bacon--that's baby Jesus in the manger at Christmastime!

Actually, I don't know if that's a great analogy to demonstrate the difference between Dodge and Chevy but I think you get the idea.

Erimitus

New Post! January 17, 2019 @ 06:20:59 pm
@mrmhead Said

An illusion is a "trick" that may be perceived by many.
A hallucination is personal.

It is an illusion that the sun and moon are the same size.

It is a hallucination when the moon cracks open and a monster comes out and eats the big city on the horizon.

One of my most favorite (personal) illusions - not hallucination, because I know what was going on:
One fine sunny, summer day, the car was parked in the driveway under a tree.
When I looked at the windshield, I could see Cerberus - the three-headed devil dog - sitting in the drivers seat ... well, mainly all I could see were his heads - and they looked like they were barking (but there was no sound)

Really it was the sunlight filtered through the moving leaves of the trees reflecting off of the windshield.

Thanks

Erimitus

New Post! January 17, 2019 @ 06:21:36 pm
Mr. It is a hallucination when the moon cracks open and a monster comes out and eats the big city on the horizon.

E: I hate when that happens

Erimitus

New Post! January 17, 2019 @ 06:25:45 pm
@gakINGKONG Said

Hallucinations are brought on by something more invasive.

A person can experience an illusion by forced perspective or word-play or some other mechanism which is pretty much limited to that one event.

Hallucinations don't have the same apparent apparatus. It could be chemically induced or fatigue or anxiety or illness even transient time or location based. But more difficult control or duplicate.

My favorite analogy is: it's the difference between the chicken and the pig; the chicken offers up eggs for breakfast don't matter if you like fried or scrambled. That's a sacrifice (think how you would feel offering up your babies to another species for food!). The pig commits at a whole nother level: he lays down and offers up all his body for bacon--that's baby Jesus in the manger at Christmastime!

Actually, I don't know if that's a great analogy to demonstrate the difference between Dodge and Chevy but I think you get the idea.

I get the idea. Thank you

chaski

Stalker

New Post! January 17, 2019 @ 10:36:44 pm
@mrmhead Said

These are not really spinning - you can print it out and it will still look like they are spinning - but only the ones you are not looking at directly

I can look at them and make them spin or not spin... together or individually.

I'm not sure why I can do this.

It might be good or bad thing.... but if bad, I promise that it doesn't involve violent behaviors...

Erimitus

New Post! January 18, 2019 @ 12:48:10 am
@chaski Said

I can look at them and make them spin or not spin... together or individually.

I'm not sure why I can do this.

It might be good or bad thing.... but if bad, I promise that it doesn't involve violent behaviors...

use your powers for good

chaski

Stalker

New Post! January 18, 2019 @ 01:24:15 am
@Erimitus Said

use your powers for good

mrmhead

New Post! January 18, 2019 @ 02:42:43 am
@chaski Said

Jared and Donald?

Erimitus

New Post! January 18, 2019 @ 04:28:13 am
@mrmhead Said

Jared and Donald?

chuckle

Electric_Banana

New Post! January 18, 2019 @ 09:41:17 am
An illusion is a visual deception
An Hallucination is a chemically released audio/visual program usually only occurring during sleep when dreaming, it is the toxin that carries the actual dream or night show.
Illusions can be easily broken by changing viewing location or playing with lighting
Hallucinations require more effort to recover from as they require the individual to take back control of their mind.

Erimitus

New Post! January 18, 2019 @ 10:20:01 am
@Electric_Banana Said

An illusion is a visual deception
An Hallucination is a chemically released audio/visual program usually only occurring during sleep when dreaming, it is the toxin that carries the actual dream or night show.
Illusions can be easily broken by changing viewing location or playing with lighting
Hallucinations require more effort to recover from as they require the individual to take back control of their mind.

Thanks

Eaglebauer

New Post! January 18, 2019 @ 04:41:47 pm
An illusion is when someone slips a tab of acid into your drink without you seeing it and makes it look like he's putting in an ice cube instead.

A hallucination is when, after ingesting said acid, you see that same person sprout antlers and start vomiting fire.

Pages: 1 2 · >>
Quote | Reply