The Pie Tax

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:27:41
So there is to be a 20% sales tax added to take-away hot food according to the government, this will raise the price of pasties, pies and hot baked goods, causing the share prices of Gregg's the Bakers to plummet!

Both David Cameron and George Osborne have been clamouring to prove their pasty eating credentials though both have outed themselves as non-pastie eaters, which is shocking (apparently anyway, I don't think I've ever eaten a Pastie in my life personally but apparently the PM and Chancellor have shown how out of touch they are).

It was also revealed today that you can avoid the tax by waiting for the food to cool, in the shop, before purchasing it!

So, what do you think about the Pie/Pasty tax. Good move against obesity, or an intrusive attack on a much beloved foodstuff?
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#2New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:32:39
I would expect something like that from Obama.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#3New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:35:29
@hoppy Said

I would expect something like that from Obama.

Well it wasn't proposed by Obama it was created by a Conservative government.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#4New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:38:27
@jmo Said

Well it wasn't proposed by Obama it was created by a Conservative government.

YOUR conservative government. It STILL sounds like an Obama idea.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#5New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:40:00
@jmo Said

So, what do you think about the Pie/Pasty tax. Good move against obesity, or an intrusive attack on a much beloved foodstuff?

So, the Heavyweights of the UK can avoid the 20% tax, buy the pie cold, take it home and re-heat it. They will continue to satisfy their hunger, and eliminate the added revenue that the government was expecting. So, the next tax to be incorporated will be a monthly fee to be paid for the operation of any microwave food warmer, much like the TV and Radio Tax that I can recall having to pay while in Germany.

The sheep continue to look for freebies, and the government will happily comply, then turn about and take more money from those very sheep to pay for it... An endless cycle, unless someone gets pissed off, and takes matters into their own hands,... but they're all sheep!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#6New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:41:07
@hoppy Said

What has any of this got to do with Obama? It has nothing to do with him whatsoever, why even bring him into this discussion?

You are obsessed.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:42:10
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

So, the Heavyweights of the UK can avoid the 20% tax, buy the pie cold, take it home and re-heat it. They will continue to satisfy their hunger, and eliminate the added revenue that the government was expecting. So, the next tax to be incorporated will be a monthly fee to be paid for the operation of any microwave food warmer, much like the TV and Radio Tax that I can recall having to pay while in Germany.

The sheep continue to look for freebies, and the government will happily comply, then turn about and take more money from those very sheep to pay for it... An endless cycle, unless someone gets pissed off, and takes matters into their own hands,... but they're all sheep!

In what sense are they/we sheep? We vote for politicians, they decide what to tax and what not to tax, we abide by the rules they set.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#8New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:47:11
What kinda pie we talkin here?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#9New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 22:47:32
All take-away hot food.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 23:01:06
I don't really see the point to be honest- what is the benefit of this extra 20%? If it's that important then why not have it on snack food of all temperatures?

I love pasties but only ever get the chilled ones from Sainsburys, can't afford the proper ones these days.

The video of Milliband going into Greggs though is just beyond awkward and staged. Cameron's reaction was amusing though, especially as the shop he mentioned doesn't actually exist there anymore apparently.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 23:03:58
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

baa baa... yeah .. we're pretty much f**ked the moment our head pops out of momma ... 'freedom'... baaa !
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 23:06:14
@hoppy Said

Not sure how you figure that, considering a tax on fast food would disproportionately increase the tax burden of the poor.

You don't know much of anything about politics and economics do you?
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 23:07:18
So, we have to pitch up at the local chippie with thermometers now?
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 23:08:18
@jonnythan Said

Not sure how you figure that, considering a tax on fast food would disproportionately increase the tax burden of the poor.

You don't know much of anything about politics and economics do you?

Should the poor be spending their money on fast food?
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#15New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 23:09:10
Taxing food is a sin! I said it, yes, I said it.

What now?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs