The Other Royal Wedding

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 12:54:39
To be honest I don't really give much of a s*** about this one but I think if the Kate and William marriage is getting so much media coverage then this one should too as Zara Philips and Mike Tindall have actually done something with both being accomplished athletes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12688849

Zara Phillips and rugby player Mike Tindall are to be married in Edinburgh on 30 July, Buckingham Palace has said.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#2New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 13:00:00
No They shouldn't get as much coverage,that would just mean more royal bollocks that no one cares about polluting the TV.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 13:13:23
Do we get a bank holiday for that one as well?

If not, I don't care about them.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#4New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 13:16:13
@Wellard Said

No They shouldn't get as much coverage,that would just mean more royal bollocks that no one cares about polluting the TV.

I just find whilst we are being sickened to death already with the first Royal Wedding it's kind of strange that this wedding isn't getting anywhere near the same amount of hype or coverage. Surely a wedding of people who have actually done something other than be born into the right family constitutes more of a story than Kate and William's marriage.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#5New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 13:19:11
@jmo Said

I just find whilst we are being sickened to death already with the first Royal Wedding it's kind of strange that this wedding isn't getting anywhere near the same amount of hype or coverage. Surely a wedding of people who have actually done something other than be born into the right family constitutes more of a story than Kate and William's marriage.

That's how the media should work but unfortunately it doesn't.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#6New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 13:23:23
@Wellard Said

That's how the media should work but unfortunately it doesn't.

I read recently that 70% of the UK populace are apathetic about the Royal Wedding. f***ing media.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#7New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 13:26:48
@jmo Said

I read recently that 70% of the UK populace are apathetic about the Royal Wedding. f***ing media.

What they fail to understand or just do not give a s*** about is that if they were to tone it down a little then more people might be genuinely interested,or less irritated by it anyway.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 14:31:34
I heard about this. Anne and Margaret's families always played down the royal status in the media. I dont know what they are like in real life but they certainly dont court attention.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 14:37:54
@jmo Said

Quote:
In a ComRes survey of 1,006 British adults conducted in November 2010, a clear majority said they were "not excited" by the wedding.

Of the sample, some 31% said they "couldn't care less" about the event and a further 28% described themselves as "largely indifferent".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12664772
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 23:50:57
Hmmmmm.... so, a sample of 1'006 people, out of a population of some 60+ million is clear and conclusive evidence that the majority of people in Britain don't care for the Royal Wedding, eh..?

I guess it depends who was asked. If the sample was taken in, say, Scotland then it's no surprise that the result was apathetic. A similar survey taken in, say, the Home Counties of England would produce a very different result, I dare say.

Surveys, like statistics, can be made to say anything the sponsor wants them to say.

Survey shmurvey, I say. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Come the day, the world will probably see pictures of a smiling, happy populace celebrating a public event that is broadly approved of by the genuine, vast majority of the public and the few malcontents who will sit at home and grumble about it will be pretty much ignored.

If you want to ignore the Royal Wedding, please feel free to do so.... that is your privilege. The rest of us are going to party and have a good time.

I rather like William. He'll make a good King one day.... whether the Scots or Welsh are part of any union by that time isn't clear, but if he only becomes King of England, then ho-hum. You go your way and we'll go ours.... and good luck to you.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#11New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 23:55:44
@Jennifer1984 Said

Hmmmmm.... so, a sample of 1'006 people, out of a population of some 60+ million is clear and conclusive evidence that the majority of people in Britain don't care for the Royal Wedding, eh..?

I guess it depends who was asked. If the sample was taken in, say, Scotland then it's no surprise that the result was apathetic. A similar survey taken in, say, the Home Counties of England would produce a very different result, I dare say.

Surveys, like statistics, can be made to say anything the sponsor wants them to say.

Survey shmurvey, I say. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Come the day, the world will probably see pictures of a smiling, happy populace celebrating a public event that is broadly approved of by the genuine, vast majority of the public and the few malcontents who will sit at home and grumble about it will be pretty much ignored.

If you want to ignore the Royal Wedding, please feel free to do so.... that is your privilege. The rest of us are going to party and have a good time.

I rather like William. He'll make a good King one day.... whether the Scots or Welsh are part of any union by that time isn't clear, but if he only becomes King of England, then ho-hum. You go your way and we'll go ours.... and good luck to you.

Why do you naturally assume the Scots or Welsh would be more apathetic about the Royal Family than the English. What exactly is your problem with the Scots?
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 23:59:13
As for the wedding of Mike Tindall and Zara Phillips.... well, that is a completely different kettle of fish.

Zara Phillips is, I think, approximately seventh or eighth in line to the throne. She ranks behind princesses Beatrice and Eugenie in the royal pecking order. I'm fairly sure about that, but please put me right if not.

The point is, she is not in the direct spotlight and therefore her wedding has a much smaller element of public interest.

I find it somewhat amusing though, that the daughter of the President of the Scottish Rugby Union should marry the England (stand in) Rugby captain. The Princess Royal will be at Twickenham on Saturday and may have to sit through watching her future son in law, clad in white and sporting the red rose, possibly leading his team to victory (I hope so, anyway. LOL).

I'm sure she won't hold it against him. Much.

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 00:10:01
@jmo Said

Why do you naturally assume the Scots or Welsh would be more apathetic about the Royal Family than the English. What exactly is your problem with the Scots?

I have no problem with the Scots, Geoff. But I read your posts and those of other Scots on here and I see a constant stream of negativity, antipathy and dislike towards the English....... and in particular, against the Royal Family.

I am only responding to your messages. If you read back through the messages of this thread, and others in the past, you will see that I have only responded to you and others.

It is the Scottish National Party and Plaid Cymru who wants to break away from the Union, not the other way round.

It is the Scots who complain about their taxes being used to fund the London Olympics.

It is you who constantly harps on about how hated the Tory government in London is......

It was you who recently called Rugby Union a sport for the rich English (or something very similar) with that posh w**ker Jonny Wilkinson (a man who is very highly respected on this side of the border) to the fore. A very anti-English statement if ever there was one.

I don't start those threads......you do. But I reserve the right to respond to them as I see fit.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#14New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 00:18:46
@Jennifer1984 Said

I have no problem with the Scots, Geoff. But I read your posts and those of other Scots on here and I see a constant stream of negativity, antipathy and dislike towards the English....... and in particular, against the Royal Family.

I am only responding to your messages. If you read back through the messages of this thread, and others in the past, you will see that I have only responded to you and others.

It is the Scottish National Party and Plaid Cymru who wants to break away from the Union, not the other way round.

It is the Scots who complain about their taxes being used to fund the London Olympics.

It is you who constantly harps on about how hated the Tory government in London is......

It was you who recently called Rugby Union a sport for the rich English (or something very similar) with that posh w**ker Jonny Wilkinson (a man who is very highly respected on this side of the border) to the fore. A very anti-English statement if ever there was one.

I don't start those threads......you do. But I reserve the right to respond to them as I see fit.

Most UK posters on this site don't like the Royal Family. In fact other than yourself I think all posters on here. Look at this thread itself! English posters have expressed their apathy towards the Royal Family.

I don't think there has been any anti-English rhetoric from the Scots on here except in a sport or jovial nature.

I don't vote Plaid Cymru or SNP and nor do the majority of Scots.

Taking comments about Rugby that was in a sporting context. Because I have a problem with English sporting teams doesn't mean I have a problem with England or the English. They are completely distinct things.

Most crucially though is not once in this thread have I criticised the English, England or based any of my views of the Royal Family on the fact I am Scottish. In fact the only thing linking this thread with Scottish attitudes or ideas or your perceived prejudice that Scots have towards the English is the fact that I am Scottish. That sounds like a prejudice to me.
xRuby_Kissesx On June 14, 2011

Deleted

Sailing the high seas..., Unit
#15New Post! Mar 10, 2011 @ 00:59:55
@jmo Said

Most UK posters on this site don't like the Royal Family. In fact other than yourself I think all posters on here. Look at this thread itself! English posters have expressed their apathy towards the Royal Family.

I don't think there has been any anti-English rhetoric from the Scots on here except in a sport or jovial nature.

I don't vote Plaid Cymru or SNP and nor do the majority of Scots.

Taking comments about Rugby that was in a sporting context. Because I have a problem with English sporting teams doesn't mean I have a problem with England or the English. They are completely distinct things.

Most crucially though is not once in this thread have I criticised the English, England or based any of my views of the Royal Family on the fact I am Scottish. In fact the only thing linking this thread with Scottish attitudes or ideas or your perceived prejudice that Scots have towards the English is the fact that I am Scottish. That sounds like a prejudice to me.

Agree!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs