The New Amazon Kindle

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#1New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 08:10:26
The Kindle is now $139. That's the best price I've ever seen. It looks so much lighter that I think it would be easier to hold than a paperback. Do any of you have this version? If so, what do you think of it?

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_url
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#2New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 09:11:45
i saw that there not compatible with every book
just a heads up you might wanna look into
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 09:48:08
Apparently they are really good. I actually enjoy collecting books and reading physical books myself but I think they do seem pretty decent. I reckon they would be great if you travel a lot as it would be much easier to take the kindle with you on trains/planes etc than books.

I looked into getting one for uni but unfortunately most academic books don't seem to be compatible and those that are are really expensive. They look pretty decent though.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#4New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 10:24:14
Thanks, guys. I saw where some people were complaining about not being able to get certain books for the Kindle. One man said it's best for novels and the iPad was better for reading blogs, newspapers, and magazines. I'm just interested in novels and I find that some are too heavy and bulky to hold while reading in bed. I think the best option for me would be the model with 3G capability since I won't always have WiFi when traveling. There would be no way to order and download books without 3G. I still think $189 isn't too bad for that if I don't get the case with the reading light ($59.99). If I decide to get the Kindle, I'll order a cheap light if I need to. Decisions, decisions.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 11:24:53
I want a kindle!! I'm waiting til next spring whenI get my taxes back. I have bought books from Amazon for the PC kindle and it's so convenient.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#6New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 11:43:12
@plebian_angel Said

I want a kindle!! I'm waiting til next spring whenI get my taxes back. I have bought books from Amazon for the PC kindle and it's so convenient.

We have yet to see just what Congress is going to do about your taxes... You may have to contribute more than the cost of a Kindle, just to avoid the punitive measures of the IRS.

As much as I would enjoy the capability of reading from a small hand-held device, these things are still very much limited in their capabilities. The easiest thing for them to display is a text file, but most of the older (and free) e-books have been 'created' by scanning or 'reading' images, and using OCR to provide the text. If you would compare the text to the image, many times you will find that there are errors in spelling, or worse, that are just a turn-off. I enjoy reading the old books, just as they were set in type, but the fonts used in these 'e-books of old' do nothing to make the reading experience mor enjoyable for me. Then, there is the matter of the reading device's ability to handle those books that are in PDF-format. Most of them do a lousy job of that, and will not even let you enlarge the page image to be able to read it. I'm much happier to be able to read e-books on the computer, and, should I someday be rendered blind enough, I can rotate my wide-screen display and enlarge the page(s) in portrait-orientation, to fill the entire screen. I'm holding off on getting any Kindle or similar devices....
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 12:02:28
Nothing beats an old musty book, but the kindle seems a lot more convenient and practical. I think I'll get one once they've gone down in price a bit- or until my student loan comes through
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#8New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 12:04:59
@maximillion Said

i saw that there not compatible with every book
just a heads up you might wanna look into

I think what you mean is .pdf files. People put those on to get free books, but I read somewhere there is a converter for that online free.
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#9New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 12:11:19
@plebian_angel Said

I think what you mean is .pdf files. People put those on to get free books, but I read somewhere there is a converter for that online free.

dunno babes just what i saw on tv xx
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#10New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 12:13:57
@maximillion Said

dunno babes just what i saw on tv xx

Ah OK maybe the UK ones are having different issues too I want one anyways
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#11New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 18:29:28
I've got the Kindle app on my phone. I might try it out first to find out if I like the book selection. The screen is smaller but I'll just deal with it for now.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#12New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 18:41:25
I have the Barnes & Noble Nook. I love it. It's true not all books are in eBook format, but I've only found 1 or 2 I want to read that aren't that way. I can either wait or just buy the actual book.
If you enjoy reading and don't have the space for a library of books a kindle or another eReader is an excellent alternative. My nook fits in my bag so I can take it with me to the Dr.'s office, on the bus, or pretty much anywhere else I might want to read.
I have the apps on the my phone, PC and my iPod touch so if I forget my Nook, I can read my book on those other devices.

eBooks tend to run a few dollars less than hard covers/paperbacks.

Oh and our Library here is starting to loan out new releases in eBook/kindle format.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#13New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 20:10:33
I have the third generation Kindle, I got it right before this new one came out. I love it.

Its got 3G so I can do basic web searches, comes in handy when at my parents who dont have internet and I need something quick. I can even TFS from my kindle, would I use it instead of my computer... no, but If trapped in a van on a roadtrip its way better than my phone. And it fits in my day planner, so nothing extra to carry.

I loaded my PDFs for my zombie class on it. Its not as good with PDFs, as far as search ability but if they are scanned right, they work. And it will work as a glorified USB drive, if you need to transport PDFs that way for a presentation.

Amazon has a link to ask the publisher for a book in e-format, I've done that before and have gotten a book that way, not sure if it was releasing on kindle eventually anyway though.

Its not too heavy, and easier and faster to read than a regular book, and I can change the font and orientation. there is even a book on tape function, for most books. they have large amount of books that in the public domain for free, some scans are better than others, but I haven't heard major complaints.

Actual textbooks though, for university level, are insanely expensive I was pricing books, and that there was just internet highway robbery.

There are a lot of free books out there, some old, some new, some are just specials. Like the first in a series to "hook" you in. All in all even though I bought mine at the higher price, I have already "paid" it off in what i have saved on books that I would have read anyway, and I have less stuff cluttering up a shelf. I still like books, but the e-reader is convenient.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#14New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 20:31:07
@DiscordTiger Said

I have the third generation Kindle, I got it right before this new one came out. I love it.

Its got 3G so I can do basic web searches, comes in handy when at my parents who dont have internet and I need something quick. I can even TFS from my kindle, would I use it instead of my computer... no, but If trapped in a van on a roadtrip its way better than my phone. And it fits in my day planner, so nothing extra to carry.

I loaded my PDFs for my zombie class on it. Its not as good with PDFs, as far as search ability but if they are scanned right, they work. And it will work as a glorified USB drive, if you need to transport PDFs that way for a presentation.

Amazon has a link to ask the publisher for a book in e-format, I've done that before and have gotten a book that way, not sure if it was releasing on kindle eventually anyway though.

Its not too heavy, and easier and faster to read than a regular book, and I can change the font and orientation. there is even a book on tape function, for most books. they have large amount of books that in the public domain for free, some scans are better than others, but I haven't heard major complaints.

Actual textbooks though, for university level, are insanely expensive I was pricing books, and that there was just internet highway robbery.

There are a lot of free books out there, some old, some new, some are just specials. Like the first in a series to "hook" you in. All in all even though I bought mine at the higher price, I have already "paid" it off in what i have saved on books that I would have read anyway, and I have less stuff cluttering up a shelf. I still like books, but the e-reader is convenient.

I'd really like having the audio function. I've never listened to a complete book on tape or CD, but lately I'm too tired to hold a book (and that's why I've got around 30 novels I still want to read).

The complaints I mentioned reading were about the text books being too expensive. I didn't see anything about PDFs but I'm glad you mentioned that.

I'm not sure what else I'd be able to do with the new Kindle. I was never aware that you could use them for posting on forums. Sounds pretty nice.

I'll just keep reading reviews for a bit. Thanks for the helpful post.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#15New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 20:58:36
@Mysteria Said

I'd really like having the audio function. I've never listened to a complete book on tape or CD, but lately I'm too tired to hold a book (and that's why I've got around 30 novels I still want to read).

The complaints I mentioned reading were about the text books being too expensive. I didn't see anything about PDFs but I'm glad you mentioned that.

I'm not sure what else I'd be able to do with the new Kindle. I was never aware that you could use them for posting on forums. Sounds pretty nice.

I'll just keep reading reviews for a bit. Thanks for the helpful post.

The textbooks I had to price were about $140, which is insane when the book was only $160.

yes the kindle has a web browser, better functionality is a newer update, it really intended for searchttps://www.theforumsite.com/comments.php?t=414896&quote=5454279hing mostly text based like wiki, but the news sites are pretty decent on it, like cnn and a few others, they have a less flashy version for phones and devices, it comes with a nice set of bookmarks for the basics. It is now capable of reading and posting here, it was read only when I bought it, something about a java update. There is a new game that came out for it recently, something like scrabble, where you make words out of the tiles it gives you.

Not that I would buy it just for the game or the web, but it really does a lot and has great portability. It does not "share" books though, so loaning a book to a friend is not an option. And all my purchases are also stored at amazon, and can be removed from the device if there is conflict with the publisher. Not thrilled with that, but I think Amazon also refunded the $ on the illegal copies that were purchased that they removed from the system and devices. Amazon said they would not do it again, (removing from the devices). I think their TOS is still a little vague about it though.
It still leaves an interesting question about what we own in electronic format. Which is why there is no way in hell I ever pay anywhere near $140 for an e-book. I max out at $15, and there better be a damn good reason to go over $10.

The audio reader is a little monotone for me. Kinda like the "voice" that can read texts on some phones, but it is better than nothing
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs