AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...39 40 41 42 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#601New Post! Aug 15, 2022 @ 18:42:05

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#602New Post! Sep 08, 2022 @ 17:45:22
Queen Elizabeth II has died after 70 years on the throne. Pretty much everyone in the Commonwealth respected her commitment to her public duties. She belonged to a generation the likes of which we may not see again.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#603New Post! Sep 09, 2022 @ 00:27:56
@shadowen Said

Queen Elizabeth II has died after 70 years on the throne. Pretty much everyone in the Commonwealth respected her commitment to her public duties. She belonged to a generation the likes of which we may not see again.

I think almost everyone in the world respected her.

I was never much of an Anglophile, but it's hard to miss who she was and what she represented - more than just a monarchy.

NE, Ohio
#604New Post! Sep 09, 2022 @ 00:49:33
@mrmhead Said

I was never much of an Anglophile, but it's hard to miss who she was and what she represented - more than just a monarchy.

Well, holy $#!+
...Really?

Carnegie Mellon Prof

"I heard the chief monarch of a thieving raping genocidal empire is finally dying," Carnegie Mellon University Professor Uju Anya tweeted on Thursday morning. "May her pain be excruciating."

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#605New Post! Sep 09, 2022 @ 04:18:37
@mrmhead Said

Well, holy $#!+
...Really?

Carnegie Mellon Prof

"I heard the chief monarch of a thieving raping genocidal empire is finally dying," Carnegie Mellon University Professor Uju Anya tweeted on Thursday morning. "May her pain be excruciating."

Says everything about the person posting those tweets (and those liking said tweets). Just emphasizes the contrast btw the recently departed Queen and such people. I thought the following response to the professor's tweet said it all:
"This is what a complete lack of emotional intelligence & a heart full of hate looks like. Don’t be like @UjuAnya. Be a better human."

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#606New Post! Sep 09, 2022 @ 04:31:46
@mrmhead Said

I agree. Her devotion to duty, her dignity etc won her great respect. Being a member of the Royal family comes with great privilege but also with great responsibility. This is something she and her husband were very conscious of. When she was crowned she made the promise to serve her country and the broader Commonwealth to the best of her ability. Nobody could deny that she kept this promise.

As I have said before, and I think you alluded to it when you mentioned that she represented more than just a monarchy, she embodied so many of the values of a generation that I fear we shall not see again. Contrast for example her life, and that of Phillip, with the lives of Harry and Meghan...

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#607New Post! Sep 09, 2022 @ 04:35:37
The following is an excerpt from her Coronation speech

"I have in sincerity pledged myself to your service, as so many of you are pledged to mine. Throughout all my life and with all my heart I shall strive to be worthy of your trust..."

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#608New Post! Sep 12, 2022 @ 18:40:18
I have read some of the absolute s***e written about Queen Elizabeth II in the NYT, as well as heard some of the s***e spoken on the view, MSNBC and CNN. It is a dangerous combination when you have ignorance mixed with bigotry, racism, intolerance, arrogance and narcissism.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#609New Post! Sep 12, 2022 @ 18:43:44
On that, isn't it interesting how those who claim to be anti racist are so often themselves racist. How those who claim to be for diversity attack diversity of thought. How those who claim to promote inclusion do it by excluding. How those who claim to be tolerant are invariably the most intolerant, and how those who claim to be kind and compassionate fail to exhibit these qualities.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#610New Post! Sep 12, 2022 @ 18:46:29
It will be strange when the first coins and $5 notes appear without the Queen's image. When Australia switched from pounds , shillings and pence to dollars and cents Elizabeth was the reigning Monarch. She has therefore been the only Monarch to appear on our money since we went decimal.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#611New Post! Sep 12, 2022 @ 18:47:36
It will also be slightly strange next year to have a King's birthday long weekend...

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#612New Post! Sep 12, 2022 @ 18:50:47
On the weekend at the G there were over 90,000 people present. When there was a minute's silence out of respect for the Queen before the match began you could have heard a pin drop. In that crowd would have been many people you support Australia becoming a Republic, yet they had enough decency and class to honour the service, life and passing of the Queen. More than you can say for many Green pollies, but then again you never expect much from them in the first place.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#613New Post! Sep 14, 2022 @ 18:26:40
Really don't think anyone does ceremonial occasions as well as the Brits.

NE, Ohio
#614New Post! Sep 17, 2022 @ 21:30:14
I've seen some headlines about countries separating from the monarchy now.
Not familiar with the details.

Any comment?

Is it just an opportunity for change, or something about the King?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#615New Post! Sep 29, 2022 @ 05:48:27
@mrmhead Said

I've seen some headlines about countries separating from the monarchy now.
Not familiar with the details.

Any comment?

Is it just an opportunity for change, or something about the King?

I think it's a bit of both. Queen Elizabeth was much respected for her work ethic, for her years of service to both the UK and the greater Commonwealth, and for the fact that she was VERY diligent about remaining politically neutral (as the Monarch MUST be seen to be).

Charles on the other hand lost a lot of his popularity (rightly or wrongly) as a result of his marriage breakdown with Diana and it's aftermath. There was also the issue of his political activism. It's fine for him to openly talk about his views on modern architecture and saving endangered species, another thing entirely to involve himself in political debates. I think William understands this better than his father did at a similar age. That said Charles has said all of the right things since becoming King so we shall wait and see.

Then there are the effects of historical revisionism which has been on full display since the Queen's death. It has been very obvious that most people in the media do not understand the role of the Crown in a British style Constitutional Monarchy. Unfortunately most people seem to get their information from twitter, celebrities or activists parading as journalists. The result is a growing desire for the Crown to be ditched and replaced by a President without understanding the possible consequences that this could have to the political system.

In Australia we had a referendum in 1999 on whether or not we should become a Republic. Most people in opinion polls leading up to the referendum supported the idea but there was disagreement as to how the President would be elected, what powers he would have and how (or even if) he could be dismissed. In the end the referendum resulted in Australians saying no to the republican option presented to them. The current government has reignited the debate and effectively promised another referendum in 2024.

At the moment (excluding the UK) there are fourteen countries who all share a nominal head of state, that currently being King Charles III. These countries (plus the UK) are called Commonwealth Realms. I would think that over the coming 5-10 years a number of these Realms will decide to become Republics.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...39 40 41 42 · >>

3 browsing (0 members - 3 guests)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs